Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

Airplane Rate Mode Gyro Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airplane Rate Mode Gyro Set Up

Help. I have an aircraft with one single-axis gyro (JR G500T) operating in Rate Mode on the rudder (CH4), the gain input on CH5, turned on and off by Switch A. It had a low gain setting of 4% (gyro off) and a high gain setting of 83% (gyro on). Worked flawlessly for years on my 72 MHz 9CAP. I am now switching that airplane over to my 2.4 GHz 14SG with R7008SB receiver and I can not begin to decipher the rate mode gyro set up.

In the FUNCTION screen, I set CH5 to GYRO and the switch to SA. In the GYRO screen, I set TYPE to NORMAL. Beyond that, I am lost. There are 3 sets (Gyro, Gyro2, and Gyro3) of 2 columns of percentages (only one of which you can change and the other which appears to apply an offset to the first column as the switch is moved), and a switch selection field (which I set to SA).

Are Gyro, Gyro2, and Gyro3 3 different gyros, different channels for one 3-axis gyro or 3 different gain settings for a single gyro on a 3-position switch? What is the second column of percentages for and why do they offset from the first column settings as SA is moved between the 3 positions?

Has anyone set up a non-Futaba rate mode gyro and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM
RBACONS

Well, I think I solved my own problem. The GYRO screen seems to do nothing for me other than set the mode to "NORM" and which SA positions are On or Off. By dialing the SubTrim for CH5 (the gain channel) down to -45, I got the rudder to function normally with SA off. With SA on, the CH5 lower end point appears to control the amount of gain. The upper endpoint does not appear to affect the gain nor do any of the % settings on the GYRO screen. I have no idea what Futaba was thinking.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

JR gyro's do not necessarily operate the same way as Futaba gyros.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 02-23-2018, 05:59 AM
RBACONS

I'm sure they don't. But why the 14SG gyro set up is so far removed from how the 9CAP handled it, and is so unintelligible, is a mystery.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 AM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The 14SG allows the control of a 3-axis gyro, hence the Gyro1, 2, 3 designations. These were not in common use when the 9C came out.
The gyro menu allows you to set either heading hold (AVCS) or Normal mode.
Normal mode is a basic rate type gyro as opposed to a heading hold gyro.
The gyro menu allows you to setup up to 3 rates for each gyro (pitch/yaw/roll)

You do not use sub trims or end points to set up the gyro on the 14SG. The gyro menu does that.

As Modtron mentioned, the 14SG is set up for use with Futaba Gyros, and I am not certain that JR gyros work in a similar manner when it comes to set up.

Page 137-138 may help
Click image for larger version

Name:	14sg-manual.pdf
Views:	6
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	2255658
Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM
RBACONS

Actually the manual states that "NORM" is for non-Futaba gyros. However, there is nothing in the manual for the gyro screen that is displayed when "NORM" is selected. For instance, why are there 2 columns of percentages, only one of which you can change, while the second column appears to add an offset to one or more of the values (and differing ones) as the selected switch moves between its 3 positions?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:12 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I understand that. AVCS is a Futaba Heading hold gyro. Norm is a normal rate gyro, like yours.

I am not familiar with your gyro and have only ever used Futaba 3-axis gyros. Let me do some research to see what I can find to help you out.