3-bladed prop for DLE 111?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3-bladed prop for DLE 111?

Alright, engine gurus.

My cursory search here led to very little, directly relevant information, so I thought I'd just ask my question outright

I'm nearing completion of my 1/5 scale F7F-3 Tigercat, and I would much prefer to install 3-bladed props on the twin DLE 111's. Since determining this myself emperically would be quite expensive (I'm about done spending money on this project!), I hope some or more of you can tell me based on your personal experience which 3-bladed props are best/most suitable for DLE111 engines.

Specifically, I would like to know which manufacturer and which size you have found to be optimal.

Regarding expected flight performance and characteristics of the model, I've projected the Tigercat to come in at ~70 lbs, and I only really require "sport-scale" performance capability.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Noah

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21630.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1589086  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3-bladed prop for DLE 111?

Ask these guys for a recommendation. There are plenty of guys at my field using their multiblade props. Dan.
http://www.zingerpropeller.com/
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
butlern

Thanks, Dan. But I only use Zinger props to stir paint!

No I'm joking... but I would prefer something... "better."

Noah
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25x12 Mejzlik
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM
butlern

POW!

Thanks, Jody.

Noah
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 AM
K-Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

25X10-3 Biela. I've been running one on my DLE111 for a year now and it is absolutely the best performer.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Tired Old Man

You're going to be waaaay over powered with that Cat. I was friends with the guy that originally developed the molds and kit for that plane. It was designed to fly with a pair of G-62's and did so very well.

The Biela props will have a better scale appearance. The Mejzlik's will have better spool up performance. Look at the Fuchs props at A.I. also for blade design. Good performers.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 AM
butlern

Yes, I know, Pat... but Charlie Spencer also estimated his kits to come in at 45-55lbs (monokoted)!

I knew mine would end up MUCH heavier (as all subsequently built, fiberglassed Modair/Giant Scale Twins F7F kits have ended up), and I purposely wanted to spin 'larger' less efficient 3 bladed props.

Indeed it will be interesting to see whether she survives initial test flights!

Thanks for the continued feedback, everyone. I'll delve further into the Bielia and Fuchs possibilities.

Noah
Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM
MetallicaJunkie

please take video, id love to see it fly
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: butlern

Yes, I know, Pat... but Charlie Spencer also estimated his kits to come in at 45-55lbs (monokoted)!

I knew mine would end up MUCH heavier (as all subsequently built, fiberglassed Modair/Giant Scale Twins F7F kits have ended up), and I purposely wanted to spin 'larger' less efficient 3 bladed props.

Indeed it will be interesting to see whether she survives initial test flights!

Thanks for the continued feedback, everyone. I'll delve further into the Bielia and Fuchs possibilities.

Noah
That 45-55 was to permit making the AMA 55lb. limit. Otherwise nobody would have bought them due to being too heavy. You should have seen what the Waco weighed Charlie and Bev sold Modaire Industries and I don't know that the weights were ever changed to reflect reality. I believe all the previous Modaire giant warbird kits are still available for those so inclined. They'll have to dig up the name of the new company though.

The plane will easily handle the 111's, so no worries there. If you have the ground clearance you'll be flying a SWEET warbird. Use the flaps!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM
butlern

Charlie sold the molds to a guy here in my home state of Iowa, and he re-branded the kits under the name Giant Scale Twins (www.giantscaletwins.com).

The new owner, Jim Oosterhuis, is a great guy. He still makes available nearly all of Charlie's original designs. Great service, too. Jim is always there to answer questions as I've worked through the construction of my F7F-3.

27x10 2-bladed props clear both the fuselage and the ground, so I'll have no trouble with the 3-bladed props.

Of course there will be video! And I'll be sure to share, good or bad!

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Tired Old Man

Last I heard from Jim he was out here in California again. That was last year though. Jim is real good people. Thanks for posting the new company name.

If you were around Charlie and Bev much I'm sure you got to see the Cat, P-51, and F-82 fly at some point. Don't know if Jim is making the Aero Commander or not, but it was also extremely well done. Impressive to say the least. You will like yours very much. It can definately compete in Scale Master type events if you elect to detail it out.

Interesting tidbit about the aircraft sizes. Each was/is was intentionally sized so they would fit without removing the empennage in the back of a long bed pick up. Wing panels had their separation points strategically located.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
butlern

Jim is back on the farm here in Iowa, as far as I know. I have no idea what, if any, back-story explains his decision to return to the farm.

Jim had his "demonstration" planes (Aerocommander, F-82, and P-51H, all flying and each INCREDIBLE in their own right!) at an event here in Iowa about 18 months ago... I knew about the Modaire kits, but it was at the event that I got a chance to talk at length with Jim about his endeavors to carry on with Charlie's designs.

Next thing I knew there was a 120" long crate waiting for me at my local trucking company depot!

My short term plan is to fly the model. If it flies well (i.e. survives early shake-down flights), then I'll add detail over the next winter!

Noah
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Tired Old Man

Anyone that's serious about getting into scale warbirds should take a look at the offerings from Giant Scale Twins. You definately will be separated by a wide marging from the run of the mill .60-.90 warbirds. This are competiton quality kits, heavy on molded fuse and cowls, intended for scale retracts, and fly like little you ever seen.

If you want to fly scale, these are kits you want to have.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
frankle951
My Feedback: (35)

[8D][8D] !!!! Sweet !!!!, tigercat, good luck on finishing it.