Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 AM
Falcon6667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig
Try a 12x8 apc , thats what I use its great..
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 AM
josephcraig

Thanks,
When i transfer it to a plane that has more prop clearance,i'll try a different prop.The engine seems to do really well on 40 size planes.For gasoline engine,it does really well.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM
silverwings
My Feedback: (21)

I finally got to fly my goldberg cub with the evo 10 cc. The weather was not the best and i had some difficulty with my fill line, kink. Finally got it fueled and warmed and idle and top end good. Wind blowing approximately 14 mph down the runway. Not the best conditions for maiden, especially a cub, but pointed her into the wind and opened the throttle. It was picture perfect, she rolled, picked up her tail and a little up to help get her wheels loose from terra firma and she was flying. Did not have to touch a thing as far as trim. Made one circuit around the field, downwind was very quick, and set up for landing. Had to hold down elevator to get her down and stopped on the ground. If I released the elevator, she would try to climb. That was about it. Down in one peice and all's well in the world. I had run two tankfuls of gas through the engine with the 10x6 prop and now have the 11x6 on it for another two tankfuls. I think I will try the 12x6 to see how it does, but the 11x6 MAS pulls her just fine. More power than she needs. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting her off the water with floats at all. I was a little concerned about that since she will mainly be on floats. I pulled them off for maiden and will reinstall them for the float fly coming up next month. Everyone here has been a great help with all the information put out on this engine. I have mostly been lurking, but I did post some a while back. I will get some pics and post them soon, now that I know she will fly.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Falcon6667

Originally Posted by silverwings
I finally got to fly my goldberg cub with the evo 10 cc. The weather was not the best and i had some difficulty with my fill line, kink. Finally got it fueled and warmed and idle and top end good. Wind blowing approximately 14 mph down the runway. Not the best conditions for maiden, especially a cub, but pointed her into the wind and opened the throttle. It was picture perfect, she rolled, picked up her tail and a little up to help get her wheels loose from terra firma and she was flying. Did not have to touch a thing as far as trim. Made one circuit around the field, downwind was very quick, and set up for landing. Had to hold down elevator to get her down and stopped on the ground. If I released the elevator, she would try to climb. That was about it. Down in one peice and all's well in the world. I had run two tankfuls of gas through the engine with the 10x6 prop and now have the 11x6 on it for another two tankfuls. I think I will try the 12x6 to see how it does, but the 11x6 MAS pulls her just fine. More power than she needs. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting her off the water with floats at all. I was a little concerned about that since she will mainly be on floats. I pulled them off for maiden and will reinstall them for the float fly coming up next month. Everyone here has been a great help with all the information put out on this engine. I have mostly been lurking, but I did post some a while back. I will get some pics and post them soon, now that I know she will fly.
Ilove float flying!!!I wish there were a few guys around here that did as well...Really miss it..
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

does anyone know about the new gas fuel injection evolution engine coming out??
Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM
josephcraig

it would be nice if they went fuel injection on all size gasoline engines..that would be a big hit..62gxi seems to be first one..
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
lilpropslinger

how do I open my own thread? I have questions about opining my shop but cant find were to open a thread to ask.. thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by [email protected]
does anyone know about the new gas fuel injection evolution engine coming out??
It's going to be a 62cc . Waiting for them to be released.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...on-62-efi.html
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

There's a good chance the carb setting is fine and the problem is that the carb is defective and/or not engineered properly. It's not loading up when you tilt the model forward because it's set too rich...it's loading up because the carb isn't regulating the fuel properly or not at all.

What you'll likely find is that if you lean the low end enough so that it doesn't load up when you tilt the model forward then the engine will die of fuel starvation at when you tilt the nose UP. The term I use for such a condition is to describe the carb as being "tippy"...and therefore the engine becomes what I call a "test stand stud": runs great on a test stand, but can't really trust it in an airplane.

I'm hoping it's a manufacturing defect as I'm considering this motor myself. Contact Horizon, their cust service is excellent. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 AM
josephcraig

Chances are on fuel problem is either vibration causing air bubbles or leak..Fuel system set properly on this engine is really critical.I have also found that muffler with no sealer and no gasket works best .Just check it after first couple of flights when warm.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Capt. Roll

Anyone running the MACS 6720 on this engine? The MACS web sites says it will fit but no guarantee when used on a gas engine. Is vibration an issue.

My engine starts easy, runs great and makes plenty of power. I'm done with the 3 piece muffler. What a PITA to keep it together.

Ha........NM. Should have searched first.

Last edited by Capt. Roll; 04-24-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:13 PM
josephcraig

I think the macs will work fine.I had the same problem.Try this before you buy one.Take the muffler apart and clean where the center extention comes together good on the seat.Don't use no sealer or orings.If you have some valve grinding compound,try putting a litte on it and seating both ends of extention.Clean really good and put back together with nothing on it.Tighten the H@## out of it and double nut if you can.But remember,when you tighten the nut,your gonna have to hold the head of the bolt with screwdriver.The first couple of flights,tighten it again after landing when still hot..Try it and see how it works.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:45 PM
flyinwalenda

The 6720 muffler works on the 10gx.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
911mike

Hello,

I'm new to the site and forum. I have a new Evolution 10 cc gas engine that seems to run fairly well except at idle. It four strokes and won't idle well at anything under enough revs to pull the plane. Any tips on low speed screw adjustments for this engine? On top it runs really well and pulls a 12-8 prop on a Hanger 9 50 Corsair easily.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM
flyinwalenda

How many tanks/ounces of fuel through it ?
What size prop is on it?
Did you follow the break-in procedure?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
911mike

Four 10 oz tanks of fuel so far.
12 x 7 right now
Yes, we followed break in with the exception that we were a little easier on it than maybe we should have been.

It runs well except it does not like to idle very well. it will idle but not well.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
josephcraig

Yea,
I agree with flyinwalenda. First i would reset the low end setting like manual says using the the steel rod in carb.closed . 5 3/8 rounds out from closed.It should idle at that setting.Start at 2 1/4 on high side.Probably end up on around 2 until broken in good.If you haven't run it much,I would drop back down on that prop to at least something like 11 x 4 blade until you get it broken in better.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Pete Bergstrom

911mike

try going in about 1/4 turn on the idle screw and check it again. Once broken in the engine generally requires the low speed needle to go in (lean) 1/2-3/4 turn. You are probably far enough along in the break-in process to need some leaning on the low end.

Pete
Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM
911mike

I have tried small 1/8 turn in on the idle jet screw and can't really get any change. I do have a new problem which might be part of it. The spark plug cap has come apart at the 90 degree turn.The metal has separated. I suspect the plug is grounded with the outer metal jacket. Any one had this happen? I can now see sparks inside the silicon boot. Not sure how to repair that.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM
flyinwalenda

Just to re-echo what has already been posted, The engine is just starting to break-in with that amount of fuel through it. The engine will idle rough at this point. if it's presenting a problem , as already mentioned, start to lean in the low end a bit and then you will have to adjust the high end after, Just don't lean it out too much yet.
It will take around a gallon or so before you can really set the needles and then the engine will really come to life.
I have read about the spark plug breaking on early models but I've never read about the cap coming apart. What's probably happening is the resistor that attaches to the plug tip is now touching the metal case. Can you post a good pic of the cap.?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 PM
josephcraig

yea, the plug wire could have been problem to begin with.Have to be patient with the engine.Like flyinwalenda says,when its broken in,not much on moving needles anymore.Talk to Pete.I'm sure he can help you.Everybody posted at same time,I didn't know how much you have run it in.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 PM
911mike

I will post a picture of the plug cap in the morning. Looks like the ideal fix would be a new one but the outer metal casing (which is what came apart) is soldered to the wire braid outer part of the spark plug lead. Sure don't want to by a new CD box just for a plug cap.

Thanks all for you suggestions and help.

Mike
Old 05-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Ernie Misner

Do modern CDI ignition units still self destruct if you spin the engine over and for some reason the spark plug wire (braided part) is not actually grounding on the plug?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If the module can't actually deliver a spark to the plug, that fire is going to be looking to go somewhere. Unfortunately, a lot of times it finds the pickup....
Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 AM
911mike

Pete,

Do you know if the plug cap is available as a replacement part. If not, does anyone else make a suitable substitute?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.