Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marty,

If you would like to send it in we would be glad to take a look at it for you.

The Husquavarna oil I can get here is somewhat akin to burnt coffee with about the same viscosity. Is it the same up there? The stuff down here I've never had much use for.

Pete

Originally Posted by Marty H.
Well if I rotate the cylinder to around TDC I can feel the clicking spot.
Then I wiggle it back and forth a degree or two on that spot it feels like there is a bit of play and it feels rough.
I can't tell if its the crankshaft or the connecting rod causing the click. It certainly doesn't sound right.
I have been running Husqvarna and Dolmar synthetic 2 cycle oil. I bought this motor in January, just after they came out.
It always had a little click to it, now it is very pronounced.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Marty H.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup I think I will send it in. Flying season is slowly coming to an end.
Pete I am surprised by what you say about the Husqvarna oil.
I went looking for it specifically because the manual stated.

"We have tested our own Evolution 2-stroke oil,
Valvoline, Shell, RedLine and Husqvarna oils.
Other quality 2-stroke oils should work as
well. Do not use Amsoil synthetic oil in
any form."
Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Pete Bergstrom

True enough - we did test it, and you'll note that I made the comment above, not 'we'. And honestly I never ran a steady 4 gals of any of the oil through one engine like you have so maybe we will learn something here. Thanks for your help and support with this.

Pete
Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Marty H.

The first gallon was a non synthetic Mastercraft(Canadian tire) 2 Cycle oil. The 2nd gal was the Husquavarna oil ( I did not really pay attention to its consistency), but at $9 for 200mL it was wee bit pricey. The small engine shop suggested the Dolmar, that I used for the 3rd and 4th gal. I am only about three or four tanks into the 4th gal. I have used three different oils all specifically for air cooled engines.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:35 PM
valenciajets

I have a c-130 hercules that will sound like a melody with four gasers
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
valenciajets

I think your spiner is coming loose or your prop nut.it sound like it in the video look for black poder in the spiner that wil tell you what is loose
Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Marty H.

Originally Posted by valenciajets
I think your spiner is coming loose or your prop nut.it sound like it in the video look for black poder in the spiner that wil tell you what is loose
I will check it out, I'm pretty sure its internal. I have not touched it this week, working the graveyard shift.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:21 AM
MikeStak
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Evolution 15cc gasser and have had chanllenges getting the low speed idle adjusted correctly. I currently have it at 2.75 turns out and seems to be accellerating ok without bogging. Only issue is when I have it at a high idle, then pick up the plane and fase the nose straight up, the idle increases considerably. When I dip the nose downward the idle goes very low and then cuts out immediately. The tank is right behing the engine. I have used all of the black hose that comes with the engne and their fule tank clunk as well. I have the vent hose hooked to the pitts muffler. I have to solve this before flying again as every time I have the throttle down on a dive the engine cuts out. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Near Hit

I haven't read the whole thread on the Evo 10cc but is anyone using the Tech-Aero Ibec with this engine? I am having some ignition issues but haven't been able to nail down what the problem is. The engine runs fine when the tx is within one foot of the rx and as the tx is moved away the ignition starts to cut out. The engine runs fine on a RCexl opti switch and directly off the battery. I tried the Tech-Aero IBEC on a RCGF engine with an RCexl ignition module and it ran fine. Tom at Horizon Hobby says that I should not be using an ibec anyway with this engine but if I wanted to use an ibec, to use the ferrite magnet rf chokes . I did this, but it was no magic bullet. The range went to about 30 feet but it still was miss firing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

My 10gx developed a click today. I'm into my 4th gallon, running 13x6. This motor has been running great. Any ideas what this sounds like.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5837LSStC_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Mine had the clicking early-on after 2 gallons was run through it. The clicking got louder and I removed the backplate (after Horizon's approval)and saw a deformation in the crank pin. Horizon rebuilt it and now I'm almost through the second gallon after the rebuild (over 4 gallons total) and so far so good. I used dino oil for break-in and Klotz afterward.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Near Hit, I am using an ibec with my Evo 10 cc and I am also having problems. I flew mine today and could only get one short flight on a 2000 mah battery. The enigine quit suddenly after about a seven minute flight and I could not even get the engine started for a second flight. My voltage checker indicated the battery was weak after about a seven minute flight. I am going to put a second battery and switch in mine and get rid of the ibec and see if that fixes the problem.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)
Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM
flyinwalenda

What type of battery is it?
How healthy is it?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
What type of battery is it?
How healthy is it?
+1

Also, how many cells? Whenever I hear of someone using a 2000 Mah battery, I usually suspect it is one of the high internal resistance, AA cell NiMh ones that are usually crap after a few months or so. Hardly any reason to use one of these sub standard batteries these days with all the reasonably priced, high C rated LiFe and A123 batteries. Of course there are good quality, low internal resistance NiMh batteries available but it seems that most smaller airplane users don't choose these due to higher costs. Maybe not the case here ..... if so I stand corrected.

Many people are using the Tech Aero IBEC with zero problems. I can't see where there would be any difference between using one in a larger plane or one with the Evo 10 as an Rcexl ignition is pretty much an Rcexl ignition regardless of where it is used. What voltage do you have the IBEC set to?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Near Hit

The battery I am using is a new Tenergy 2000mAh nMHi fresh off the charger. When I tested the Tech-Aero IBEC on the other engine with the larger sized RCexcl ignition module the range was amazing. The plane was sitting on the bench in my house building project and I walked a good 60 feet away and into the shop. The antenna was collapsed. I also noticed the tx battery was down to 7.8 volts. Maybe someone who knows RCexcl ignition modules could enlighten us on the differences between the regular size module and the newer smaller one used on the Evo 10cc.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Near Hit

The ibec is set to 6.1 volts. It is a 5 cell. The reason I used the NiMh batteries is because I had never heard or read not to. I did however talk with Tech-Aero about this and was told that it may be part of the problem. I have also been using NiMh batteries in a plane with the older larger ignition module and RCexl Opti switch for the last year and a half with no problem. I have A123 batteries and will try that. Thanks Truckracer
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM
flyinwalenda

I'm running an 1800 on ignition and a 2200 on receiver and get 5 - 30 minute flights and both packs are still good for another flight but I recharge them. Something is up . You never said how healthy the pack is. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. Cycle it four times and get some readings.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM
flyinwalenda

Another thought. What side of the ignition switch is the bec connected? If it's on the input side then that is what's draining your battery when the plane is idle. The bec needs to be on the output side of the switch so it only gets power when the switch is turned on.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Marty H.

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Mine had the clicking early-on after 2 gallons was run through it. The clicking got louder and I removed the backplate (after Horizon's approval)and saw a deformation in the crank pin. Horizon rebuilt it and now I'm almost through the second gallon after the rebuild (over 4 gallons total) and so far so good. I used dino oil for break-in and Klotz afterward.
When you sent your engine in, did you send the muffler and ignition module as well? I filled out the rma on the Horizon site, but it did not specify. I emailed them the same question, but they have not answered yet.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Near Hit

Hi, Heli-NUbee
Maybe Pete Bergstrom, the manager of Saito, Evolution, and Zenoah could shed some light on ignition problems with using an ibec on the Evo 10cc. You should be able to safely operate the ignition on a separate battery. I powered mine with a separate battery and all went well. I just want to know why the Aero-Tech ibec will work with my older Rcexcl ignition and not the newer one. Call me paranoid but I still can't help but believe there is a problem.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hey Near HIt, I am also running separate batteries on my 20 cc Evolution engine and have no problems with it. I am using two 2000 MAH 6V NiMh batteries similar to the single battery I am using with the 10 cc engine. Yes, I checked the condition of the batteries before I installed them. All three were in very good condition. It seems as though the ignition using the IBEC is using a great deal of juice in a short period of time. I am not sure if that is due to the IBEC or the ignition but changing to a second battery should tell the story.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)

Last edited by Heli-NuBee; 10-13-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM
flyinwalenda

When you sent your engine in, did you send the muffler and ignition module as well? I filled out the rma on the Horizon site, but it did not specify. I emailed them the same question, but they have not answered yet.
Since it was an internal engine issue I only sent the engine...no muffler or ignition.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 AM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

When your using synthetic oil what is the fuel to oil ratio? Will it leave the black goo on the plane? Love the engine and plane. Just hate the mess..

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Marty H.

Thanks Brian, I will do the same then.

Hey Tom, I was running same ratio with the synthetic oil 20:1. I have yet to see anyone running at higher ratio than the 20:1.
It gets a little better as you break it in and get it tuned. I just cleaned it up with a rag after each flight. It wipes right off no cleaners necessary.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 AM
flyinwalenda

I wouldn't use a percentage higher than 20:1 no matter what type of oil.
As far as mess it slobbers really bad during the first several tanks on break-in. After the first gallon it leaves a bit more residue than a 30cc gasser but way less than a typical glow engine........in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:42 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

for the ibec, you have to make sure hte output voltage of the ibec is within the operating parameters of the ignition. Some of them are a bit flaky on what voltage they put out and you can have them marginally turning on/off your ignition due to this. You might hook up a voltmeter to ensure that you are getting 4.8/6.0 or whatever voltage you expect out of it.

personally I have a 10GX and a 15GX. The 10GX I use a separate battery thats a 1100 mah 4.8V NiCD for the ignition. For the 15GX I have it connected to the same battery as the receiver, getting a 6.6V LiFe battery. I don't have issues with either. Both are using rcExl ignition cutoffs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.