Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

fun and simple weedwacker project!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fun and simple weedwacker project!

i have a 26cs ez start homelite engine. it has a walbro wt245/640. it has thos two numbers i dont now which one is it. it has a short shaft. about an 1 1/2 - 2" long. i also have a 25cc craftsman leafblower engine. it has a walbro carb. it doesnt have throttle. only fullchoke and start/of. it has a pretty long shaft. i now for a fact that ill need to change the carb on the 25cc. however. what airplanes are this engines good candidates for. all i want is the airplane to be able to take of and not struggle much in the air. please give me information. i am new to this. i want to do this with as little money as possible. this is just a project i have to get dont one way or the other. i just want something to fly. both engines are about 5lbs one for sure is 5lbs. webssites will be helpfull also videos and pictures. PLEASE REMEMBER this is a simple project. Dont post anything saying thos engines arent powerfull enough or anything like that. I know that but i also know theyll take off.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fun and simple weedwacker project!

This would be better suited to the conversion board that you've already posted in (it'll probably be moved in the morning if I had to guess...)

Anyway, I know the homelite is bigger and probably more powerful, but also more of a pain to mount and find parts for, so I say the craftsman engine would be your best choice of the two. The craftsman engine is made by Poulan, and being a 25cc I'm betting it's a 2 bolt back plate model (there are 2 and 4 bolt backplate versions, slight differences between the two, 25cc engines are more common in the 2 bolt variety). In stock form it won't be the most powerful but if you aren't an experienced pilot that might not be an issue which I'll go into in the plane recommendation:

There are two plane styles I would recommend, one would be a high wing trainer in the .60 size like THIS ONE. The other style is a stick type plane, THIS ONE is HIGHLY recommended as it can be setup to be tame like a trainer or set up for more fancy flying. I'm sure there's other options that someone else will probably chime in with but I would stay with planes that are similar to one of those, and look for a wing area in the 900-1000 square inch zone for best results to carry the extra weight of a conversion engine. There used to be some chinese ARF planes on Ebay, but that was when ebay was usable... I haven't found anything on there in years (other than the transmission rebuilds for my vehicles...)