Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Prop Clearance N Fuel Proof

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Prop Clearance N Fuel Proof

I am building my first gas engine plane. It will be a tail dragger and I am at the point of making the LG assembly. This will be a grass runway flyer so how much prop clearance should I allow with AC in level attitude? Also what do you use for fuel proofing the firewall and fuel compartment?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinned epoxy, just like you would do for glow. I don't think there is a real formula for prop clearence. Depending on the plane and motor most of mine are 3-6 inchs off the ground.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually use Z-Poxy for the firewall & fuel compartment. Two parts, just mix them together and use a cheap brush to apply.

Never did use nor have heard of a formula for prop / ground clearance. Seems that if I built according to instructions and used the proper size prop for the sized engine required, that my models always had the proper ground clearance for hard and grass runways.

But, it will be interesting to see or hear if anybody does have a formula for prop / ground clearance ?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:00 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not really a formula but in all my designs I have the gear long enough so that at 15 degrees nose down the prop just hits.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:30 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider 2" prop clearance with the plane level to be a good minimum. More would be better especially if flying off dirt. I don't even fuel proof the fuel tank areas of gas planes; I generally mount the fuel tank on or near the center of gravity. On the firewall I just use either alcohol thinned epoxy, or brushed on Rustoleum paint. The nose of a gas plane doesn't get all "gloppy" covered with fuel and oil like glow planes...

"Gloppy" is a word. It stands for a disgusting sloppy mixture of glow fuel and oil.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:34 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the info. After I make the tailwheel assembly I will install the engine and make a wooden support for the LG assembly. I'm trying to stay with the recommended 17x6 prop. Will see how it looks. Most likely like the German Storch. Maybe nose higher. Will see. Thanks again.