Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rcexl Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 AM
planman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcexl Ignition Issues

I have a Rcexl Ignition that came with a engine I purchased & both are New. Of course that don't mean much. ha ha
The Ignition is set up to run on a 4.8v or 6.0v battery & I'm running a 6.0v battery.

When I turn the engine by hand the box will start making a buzzing sound although the plugs does fire then the box will be silent.
I installed a Heavy Duty On/Off switch with charging port & a On-Board Battery Checker.
When the Buzzing starts the RED low voltage light comes on then when the buzzing stops the Red light goes off as well.

I have run the engine & the Red light on the switch comes on & then goes Off while the engine cuts out as if someone is
turning the ignition On & Off.

I bypassed the switch & Changed batteries as well as spark plugs and the Rcexl box will still buzz & the Red light will come
on when the box starts to buzz. When the Buzzing stops, the Red light goes off and the Green light on the switch is lit.

It does not matter if I move the wires while it is buzzing, or if I stop the magnet at the sensor, it will buzz for a few seconds or for 15 seconds, then stop till I rotate the magnet past the sensor.

Any ideas, Bad box maybe?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the ignition module is an older unit that is marked 4.8-6V you must use a regulator with a 5 cell battery. A 6V (nominal) battery charges to over 7V, and 6V is the maximum voltage the ignition can run on. Newer Rcexels are marked 4.8- 8.4V.
Pete
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
If the ignition module is an older unit that is marked 4.8-6V you must use a regulator with a 5 cell battery. A 6V (nominal) battery charges to over 7V, and 6V is the maximum voltage the ignition can run on. Newer Rcexels are marked 4.8- 8.4V.
Pete
Are you sure you do not have the battery pluged into the tach lead.
Check your battery under load.If you bypassed the switch where is the red light you mentioned.
Sorry I posted this to the wrong guy.
BC