Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brison 3.2 Color?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 PM
rgoldy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brison 3.2 Color?

Are there any differences in Brisons that are "natural" color versus blue (especially 3.2's). I have a few 3.2's and all of them are blue and have seen some that are not and was wondering if there is a difference. I have also seen "designations" of Brison Ballistic-is that anything?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are the same. The parts are interchangeable. They are not necessarily ballistic. Just reliable. No reeds easy access to the carb. Dan.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

As far as I can remember all the 3.2's were pretty much the same.. the color difference was more a marketing tool..
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

+1 to everything said above. The Brison 4.2 was green in some cases. I don't think I've ever seen a 2.4 that had a colored case.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 AM
rgoldy

One of the reasons I asked is that I did have a natural color one and it wasn't happy until I went down to a 21 X 8 prop and all the blue ones are really good with 23 X 8. Really cool how you can be at 200' right at the end of the runway-dive it and still land in 100'!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Truckracer

The only differences I can think of would be possible differences in the cylinders as there were two different companies that cast them. For all purposes, they are virtually identical though. Perhaps the timing was set a bit different on the various engines and that could account for the differences. Different exhaust systems? Otherwise, Brison used the same crank, pretty much the same case, same carb, same ignition, same everything over the years.

Your engine that turns the 23-8 must be a stout one though as I have never seen a Sachs based 3.2 that was real happy with a high prop load. They really come alive with something like a 22-8 though. Like a Zenoah, the Brisons are at their best when allowed to turn up a bit with a lighter prop load and kinda fall on their face with too high of a prop load. Actually, this is fairly typical of most piston port engines. Props very quite a bit also and my Taurus 3.2 turns an old Bolly wood 23-8 just fine but falls on its face with a higher load Xoar 23-8. The Taurus uses the same piston, cylinder and carb as the Brison 3.2.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:40 AM
rgoldy

22 or 23-8 doesn't seem to affect (effect?) them at all...6800 on either one on any of them except the natural one that I had (don't have any more). this kinda prompted the question-how do you know its a Brison/Sachs/Taurus and does the blue mean it has a little something extra or what because the natural one (if it was a Brison-it didn;t have a tag) would not spool up at all until you dropped to the 21*8. Timing-maybe. Mufflers-just the bare bones side dump ones. Something more to banter over beers.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Truckracer

The list of things that could be contributing to the one engine's poor performance could be a long one. I'd rule out timing as that is the easiest thing to check. From there it could be just a poor stack up of manufacturing tolerances that makes the one a poor performer. Crank straight? Good compression and ringseal? Bearings? Same deck clearances? All else being equal, some engines just don't perform as well as others. As you say, good for drinking conversation.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:17 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Lots of good info already posted here . The only physical difference between the blue case and the natural or polished case engines is the prop drive and pick up sensor setup . The newer models use a smaller drive washer . They all used the same 44mm cylinders.
The reason Brison went from blue to natural was they could not get consistent coloring of the annodized parts. .
I would verify the timing is set correctly , be sure the carb diaphrams are good and most importantly be sure the crank bearings are good . Rough bearing will rob alot of power .
Old 04-14-2016, 03:29 AM
rgoldy

So it went from blue to natural in the newer ones?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

There were a few natural aluminum engines prior to the blue they were as I was told reworked A&M engines . Then the Brison brand produced blue 3.2 and later polished aluminum, then natural aluminum with some of the very last produced under Brisons name . Of course all of this is based on my poorly performing memory .
BTW . The usual reason a blue case runs better is it probably is broken in . These thing can take a long time to break in and come to full power . It really isnt that unusual to start new with a 21 x 8 or 21x10 and end up with a 23 x8 or 23x10 after it breaks in . They take a good 50 hours to fully break in . But they run forever . I bought a blue case from Garry at Brison when the first released them wore out 6 or more airframes with it and almost 20 years later sold it with a plane and it was still getting stronger . Turning a 23x10 xoar at 7000 + probably 250 hours on it.