Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF 21cc Twin Gas Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question RCGF 21cc Twin Gas Engine

Has anyone played with this engine? I'm thinking of putting one in a 1/4 Cub....that should power it nicely don't you think?

Comments......would be appreciated......
Jerry
Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might power it but "nicely" might be in doubt.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:21 PM
tailskid

Cub should be around 13-14 lbs....so AA5BY you are saying the twin 21 isn't as powerful as a weak 20cc?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:37 AM
AA5BY

I probably should not have weighed in as I'm not familiar with the engine, I simple went and saw specs listing rpms at 7300 for a couple of props and thought the numbers sounded low and might not fit "nicely".

I guess I had two thoughts in mind, the first is that Horizon marketed a bind n fly 1/4 Cub having a Zenoah G-20 that flew it nicely but I'm aware that the G-20 runs another K or more better than the specs listed for the RCGF 21cc. The other is that I'm flying a smaller than 1/4 Cub of 91" weighing 11.5 lbs and the engine on it is drives a 16x6 at 7500 and it is moderately powered at best.

No doubt the RCGF 21cc will fly the 1/4 Cub scale like and do so nicely. If nicely however means much in the way of aerobatics, then i don't know that it will do it.

But... again, I should have kept my mouth shut because I've no experience with the engine.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:44 AM
tailskid

AA5BY, on the contrary I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and am open to other opinions.....and in this case, I lean toward your point of view...........my major concern is that is the twin a "only one" type of plane for that engine!

Jerry
Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Some observations, I've flown or observed a number of modern 1/4 full span Cubs with different gas engines. We have several CUBs flying in my group with DLE 20, 30, 35 and a RCGF 30 twin. The 20 pulls a fairly light SIG with authority. Certainly not overpowered but adequate. It will easily loop from level flight and climb performance is quite good. Excellent engine for a lightweight airframe. Moving up to the larger DLE 30 or 35, performance is greatly improved with nearly unlimited vertical with the 30 and unlimited with the 35. With the larger prop these are a joy to just cruise around at just above idle but the power is there if you need it. Any of the above engines and mufflers easily fit in a CUB cowl. The RCGF 30 twin has performance not quite up to that of the DLE 30 but does sound cool. My personal choice for a CUB remains a good modern 30 - 35 single. If I had to pick one today, it would probably be the EME 35 as they run with very low vibration compared to some other engines. I'm sure there are other good choices I'm not aware of.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:35 PM
AA5BY

I wish I could offer something about the NGH 38cc four stroke? You might check for reviews of how it is running.
In my opinion, it would offer better sound for a Cub than would a 2 st twin and is about the same price as the RCGF 21cc.

What I can say, is a Cub sure sounds great if it can be propped large to keep the rpms down and a four stroke can do that and especially if it has power overhead to keep the throttle low..

Best of luck in your engine search.