Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone received their Evolution 26GT gasser yet ?

ORIGINAL: Dirtnapper
I have one mag and one pickup
What ignition module do you have with it?

ORIGINAL: Dart373
Alright, so it isnt out yet, but....
We have old saying in Poland: One swallow doesn't make a spring yet (Swallows migrate south for winter and they are comming back for summer)

RysiuM
Old 07-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Dirtnapper

I could only do it with Cad's help and it is the 2000's now so I'm still a decade behind. I wonder what the deal is with one magnet. Did any of the older MVVS's have one? I'll have to call Horizon manana.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Dirtnapper

Ry, It's rectangular(almost square), says Evolution gas power electronic ign. with controlled advance ign point, 16-bit microprocessor system. 4.8 V. Has a battery wire, small light on a wire, sparkplug wire and the pickup.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Wally, I want to hear how this flys. If not well, I will put this motor in my Funtana 90..
Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Desertrat

ORIGINAL: RysiuM

Sorry, can't confirm that. You may be right - I can't argue. That's what I've been told by all manuals, safety recommendation and common knowledge at my field. I've seen twice Saito 30 breaking the nylon mount - just where the screws go through. I wouldn't like to see that on the engine 5 times bigger. 4-stroke and gassers can shake a lot (I read that actually SAITO 150 vibrates more than most small gassers). I wouldn't risk my life just for 2-3 oz and few bucks.
They make large nylon mounts specifically for this size engine. All the manuals I've read say to use a mount for the size engine and seldom specify what they should be made of. I've been using them for years, and I still have both hands and my life. I've never had one crack, but I could agree if not drilled or installed properly they can be weakened. Even still, if Nylon bothers you, there are many ways to mount safely at weights less than 8 oz.

<snip>

You and others have expressed interest to stay on track so I will.

<snip>

Wow, 1/2 of 8 oz it is 4 oz - not bad. That's for header + pipe? I may look around for that. I was looking at the MVVS site estimating the weight (3265 = 95g, 3266 = 207g) total 312g = 11.4oz. Adding pipe bracket it will go over 12 oz, where Pits muffler is 5 oz.

RysiuM
KS 1015 pipe is 160g. Mount and header another 50g. 210g overall, or 7.413oz. Probably the best bang for the buck out there roughly $150 all up.

Ed Skorpas pipe is 90g, plus 50g for header and mount 140g, 0r 4.942oz. Best weight savings, but a premium cost - roughly $280 all up.

In the big scheme of things the extra 2 oz is more than made up for in power, and more of the weight is distrubuted aft where you need it. Certainly shouldnt be overlooked if the model will allow for a clean mount.

Roger

Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

RysiuM,

I'm just having fun with you as I thought the same as you. Looks like someone is needing a new computer. Maybe we can order them together and get a multiple order discount

I'm kinda hungry...guess I'll go get a snack of crow....

ORIGINAL: RysiuM

He must have better PC than I do. Whenever I look at [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE26GT]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EVOE26GT[/link] I see the text:
Not Yet Available..

Maybe it's time for me to by a new PC

RysiuM
Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 PM
cadconversions

Hey Dirt, that light is the neatest thing you'll ever see on a gas motor. Make sure you have it somewhere so you can get to it after the flight before you turn your ignition off. It's a tattle tail light and it will flash the highest rpm recorded since the ignition was on. Let's you know how much your prop unloads in flight.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Dirtnapper

Cad, That does sound neat. Did you mount yours in the fuse or tuck it in somewhere? How does it tell you the rpms?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 AM
cadconversions

Just drill a small hole somewhere around the ignition module so you can poke the light through. After the flight shoot it with your tach. The lights strobes as fast as the rpm was. Might have to add a 0 or something like that. Can't really remember.

Does the instruction book not tell anything about it?

Looked at the MVVS instruction booklet a few seconds ago. Check and see if there are three wires coming out of your ignition as well. The two normal + / - wires are there and it should also have a third wire just like a servo. This third wire is a data port and it also sends info out that you can read from a computer (some how) that lets you:
1. Measure the engine revolutions and the ignition unit battery voltage
2. Measure the engine revolutions and the pre-ignition cooresponding to them
3. Display max. RPM
4. Display total run time (how cool is that)

See if the evolution also has that on the ignition.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Dirtnapper

Cad, Thanks for the reply. No, my manual makes no mention of the light. Yes the battery plug has three wires... red, orange and brown. A call to Horizon is in order.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
cadconversions

Cool, so it sounds like you have the new ignition and not the older style that only used one magnet. But that brings up the question of why just one magnet. Pe said that the second magnet was there to help in the power curve. Just gets more and more interesting. Keep us informed on what Horizon tells you.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 PM

I just got mine a couple of days ago. Mine only has one magnet. It does have the LED that is suposed to blink the RPM. The instructions mention that you need to multiply the observed RPM by the number of blades on the prop. This doesn't explane wether I should have my tach set on the 2 blade setting or not. I figure I can tach it on the gound, shut it off then use the LED. I plan on putting in it in a Funtana 90. Speaking of mounts, anyone know of a good one that will fit this motor?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Dirtnapper

Loading, I missed that paragraph about the LED when I first read the manual. What are you putting yours in?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Dirtnapper

I missed that you said you were putting it in a Funtana 90. I see a trend here.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Dart373

I am building a 440 cubic inch Big Block Mopar in my Funtana 90. Actually a Saito 2.20. Thats neat about your led blink thing...
Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 PM
cadconversions

Hey Keith, the gassers have all the fun. I think you should reconsider your power for the funtana...just not strong enough [X(]

I would say on your first pass with the LED that I would measure the RPM on the blade then on the light and compare the two. That way, you know everything is set correct.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Dirtnapper

Loading, Did you come up with a good mount yet? I have an alum one that with a little modification will work? As far as the one mag ignition, it sounds like the Evo may be using something new and not something old, according to the Netherlands distrib of MVVS. I'm building my Sukhoi and can't wait to see how the 26GT performs. Wally
Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 PM

I havn't found any motor mounts yet. I have a set of the DU-BRO vibration reducing mount that I was thinking of trying. Anyone else have any luck with these?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Dart373

Wally, Run a Great Planes and run rubber washers made from bicycle intertubes or Skippy Tach grommets and it should work almost as good as the Dubro Aluminums...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Dirtnapper

Loading, I was also thinking about the Dubro softs. Weight is a real consideration with my Sukhoi so I'm trying to find the lightest and strongest mount available. Still researching. There is a radial mount available thru MVVS. Going through the RCU MVVS 160 thread for info now. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: Dirtnapper
There is a radial mount available thru MVVS. Going through the RCU MVVS 160 thread for info now. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.
MVVS radial is very light and easy to install. I was looking for the light setup for my MVVS 1.6 so I got this mount from Pe. The price is on his website [link=http://www.mvvs-nl.com/MVVS/main_bestanden/pricelist.html]http://www.mvvs-nl.com/MVVS/main_bestanden/pricelist.html[/link]. The cool thing is that you don't need to pay VAT buying to USA, and the shipping is quite OK.

The mount (aluminum ring) comes with four replacement backplate screws (I think they are M4) and hex key. It weights about 2.2 oz only. For my installation I turned four aluminum stands-off 2inch long (1/2 oz each) so my entire mount was 4.2 oz plus four 8-32 (or 10-32, I don't remember now) screws that attached the whole thing to the firewall. See the following pictures:

RysiuM
Old 07-21-2005, 09:57 AM
cadconversions

I think you just convinced me to buy the radial mount.... That's such a great looking install.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:32 PM
BlueMax3

Beautiful job!

Travis
Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
carlosponti

i'd say try sticking a G62 on that funtana 90 [:-]
Old 07-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.