Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Which Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Unlimitedflyer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Oil?

I have always been using Ams Oil for my engines. Mostly the 50:1 mix. It always worked great for and I never had any problems. I thought that was one of the best oils out there. Now I'm hearing that pennzoil is better. Is it true that Ams oil cookes on the the cylinder heads on the motor? What oils do you guys perfer in the 100cc range? Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Ace-Maker

Default RE: Which Oil?

[link=http://www.opti2-4.com/opti-2.htm]Opti-2 Smokeless Oil[/link] is the best oil i've ever used...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh GAWD!! Here we go again.

This comes up every month. Do a search and plan on spending about 3 days reading all the posts about oil.

The information is there. You can read till your heart's content and make a decision on your own.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Ace-Maker

Rcpilet, don't scold him for asking a question... thats not really fair.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Unlimitedflyer

yeah Rcpilet if you don't have anything usefull to say you should'nt say anything at all
Old 09-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Ace-Maker

UnlimitedFlyer - I might add... I personally have never used AMS oil but always hear good things about it, seems a lot of people like it.

I have been using Opti-2 for bout 8 years in all my 2 stroke engines: Chainsaws, trimmers, blowers... My uncle who owns his own landscaping buisiness got me using it and I can honestly say that all my 2 strokes run like new. About a year ago I had to replace the reed valve in one of my trimmers (at the time it was a 3 year old trimmer) and decided to pull the piston to see how it looked. I couldn't believe my eyes... the cylinder wall as well as the piston had not one scratch on them... looked kinda glasslike.... I believe in this stuff as I have seen how well it works.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:44 AM
JohnnyJ
My Feedback: (1)

I use Amsoil Dominator mixed as directed to 50-1.
It has worked well for me.
My flying buddy switched from Opti to Amsoil Dominator and he said he picked up 150 rpm.

Good Luck
John
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy to see if the oil you're using has caused any carbon buildup. Just pull you plug and have a look at the top of your piston. I bought a motor used and found out that it had a bunch of carbon on the top of the piston. The rings were carboned up too. When I got the motor it was set very, very rich so I think that's what caused it. I cleaned it up and ran 8 gallons mixed with Penzoil through it. I just switched to Amsoil Saber at 80:1 and picked up 100 RPM on the top end and the idle is much lower and much more stable. I just order a quart of Amsoil Saber.

I think the most common error is mixing the oil too rich and running the motor rich. Adjust the needles so that it is as lean as you can run it on the low end and then adjust the high end just a pinch rich of peak RPM.

-Ben
Old 09-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

PLease read this link before continuing!
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...test/index.htm
Old 09-05-2005, 08:02 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

We have quite a gathering of gas burners at the field where I fly. A couple use Amsoil and Mobil Synthetic. The majority use Klotz 310. I have used Pennzoil in the old days before synthetic was the craze with no issues. I have settled on Klotz for a long time with no problems. I just pulled down a QS 106 with 25-30 gallons burnt that was exceptionally clean. Slight discoloration on the cylinder combustion chamber. The piston had a slight blackening on less than half the dome which I literally wiped off with a paper towel. I have no reason to change. I think other oils is probably as good but with the results I have had with this brand I have no reason to switch.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:50 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Unlimitedflyer

I have always been using Ams Oil for my engines. Mostly the 50:1 mix. It always worked great for and I never had any problems. I thought that was one of the best oils out there. Now I'm hearing that pennzoil is better. Is it true that Ams oil cookes on the the cylinder heads on the motor? What oils do you guys perfer in the 100cc range? Thanks

"It works great" and why exactly do you want to suddenly change?
Old 09-05-2005, 05:22 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I like the bel ray MC-1, but something has been discovered! No matter what oil you run you will not burn up the engine unless you run it lean! an imazing discovery!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:48 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Ain't that the truth razrback

Jeremiah- I too have been running amsoil (100:1) at 80:1 with good results in all my 2-strokes. There are many, many good oils out there. Choose one follow manufactures spec's and have fun.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I like Amsoil at 80:1
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Unlimitedflyer

Yeah I think I'm just going to stick with the pennziol for breaking in and then continue with Amsiol, besides its worked great for me. BTW thanks for all the feedback.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ace-Maker

Rcpilet, don't scold him for asking a question... thats not really fair.
I'm not scolding the guy. I'm just saying that if he'd take the time to do a simple search in this forum--he could probably read 3000+ posts about oil.

Do the research and put the time into reading it.

You will NEVER get a straight answer to this question. There are just too many different oils and too many opinions.

This question gets asked at least 3 times a year. It's the same old question and the same old answers. You could easily save the bandwidth if you'd just do a search and read the info. It's all there.