Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ Engine Question ... PLS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Goldie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ Engine Question ... PLS

Hello...PLEASE ADVISE.... Several guys at our field (here in Denver) are awaiting arival of their Aeroworks 31% Edge that is due this week.... Allmost all of them have allready went out and got a ZDZ 80 for them, except for a close friend who has a concern here.... He has been led to believe that the carb has GOT TO be mounted in the fuse... where it will be impossible to get to for adjustments and also the fear of leaking fuel there.... He has also disused this with Rocco at Aeroworks who has indicated the same thing... I am also ordering the same plane and trying to figure out which engine to pick up.... I was also considering a ZDZ 80 but dont want to face these hassels... With a engine that has such a great reputation I cant believe this to be the case.... I have allmost NO experience with engines and am looking for the easiest way to do this. Thank you for your imput here.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Many solutions here. Having used ZDZ for years, just not on that big of an airplane, the challenge is easy.

First, if the existing firewall to spinner backplate dimension is LESS than the overall length of the motor (including the carb), then, YES, you must rout a hole in the firewall.

Second, many designs that I'm aware of have a firewall far enough back that you'll actually end up mounting the motor to standoffs. On the past three airplanes I've built, the standoff distance was enough to get the carb in front of the firewall.

Get the dimensions from Rocco for the firewall to spinner, and from Mike at RC Showcase for the ZDZ hub to rear of carb dimensions.

I'd encourage you to get the facts from the measurements.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:30 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inasmuch asI use only rear carb engines - I do all my new model designs --and redo setups on existing kits as follows:
The engine mount -be it a box or whatever-- is triangulated such that the top of the box can still be open-and still be rigid.
This allows simple routing of throttle linkage - etc..
It really is not rocket science-
Once you digest a rear carb setup , you will likely prefer it -
I now run most choke linkages out a top corner of the cowl- which makes starting very easy - the ignition switch and a little pull wire -are close to each other.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

I am mounting a ZDZ80 on a 1/3 Scale Lanier Laser. After discussing some mounting ideas with a few of my fellow ZDZ owners their one major complaint was mounting the carb inside the fuse. They said it gets messy and the fuel occasionally gets inside the fuse (during choking etc). They suggested that if possible mount the carb outside the fuse.

So after a careful review of the fuselage assembly on my plane I determined that if I cut the engine box and made it shorter I could fashion an engine mount and keep the carb outside the fuse. I made an engine mount out of 4" box Aluminum Tubing and had some custom welding done on it. Looks very good, it is very strong and allows me the access to the carb for linkages and adjustments as well as plenty of airflow to the carb from two directions. I then mounted this aluminum engine box directly to the firewall that I fuel proofed with alcohol thinned epoxy and it works and looks great.

Send me your email address and I will fire you some pics when I get them developed.

Cheers
Old 11-29-2002, 03:40 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: ZDZ Engine Question ... PLS

Originally posted by Goldie
Hello...PLEASE ADVISE.... Several guys at our field (here in Denver) are awaiting arival of their Aeroworks 31% Edge that is due this week.... Allmost all of them have allready went out and got a ZDZ 80 for them, except for a close friend who has a concern here.... He has been led to believe that the carb has GOT TO be mounted in the fuse... where it will be impossible to get to for adjustments and also the fear of leaking fuel there.... He has also disused this with Rocco at Aeroworks who has indicated the same thing... I am also ordering the same plane and trying to figure out which engine to pick up.... I was also considering a ZDZ 80 but dont want to face these hassels... With a engine that has such a great reputation I cant believe this to be the case.... I have allmost NO experience with engines and am looking for the easiest way to do this. Thank you for your imput here.

This is how I mount my ZDZ engines
http://www.geocities.com/traviscouch/extra2.html