Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G23 Walbro

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 PM
jimbrock
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G23 Walbro

I have just installed a never run G23 in a PT 19 and find that it will not draw fuel. When I suck on the fuel line (blahh!) I can get some flow; when I put my thumb over the air intake I feel pulses; but no fuel will flow. Any ideas? Jim B
Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: G23 Walbro

Take the steel cover off, 4 screws, and check the inlet needle and diaphragm...Gently push the end of the lever to unseat the needle, and if the diaphragm is stiff it needs to be replaced...A carb kit is about $5 from a small engine shop...Be sure the gasket is against the carb body with the diaphragm on top of the gasket, then the cover on top..
Old 05-20-2006, 08:31 AM
jimbrock

Well, I have already done that. The diaphragm seems to be plenty flexible with no pinholes or splits, all gaskets seem to be in good shape...I may try using a syringe to introduce gas into carburetor while disassembled to see if it will pump.

I do thank you for taking the time to help. Any other ideas?

Jim
Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming the pump is gummed up: This happens to me after the engine sits for a few months. I usually blow on the vent line and flip the prop, that usually loosens up the sticking parts. I just did this on my friend's plane and it worked. If it's a slightly gummed up carb, this usually works to break it free. After that it's good for the entire season.

The other thing I've seen is to make sure your choke is sealing off air. If it's leaking the engine will not draw the fuel it needs to start.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
jimbrock

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I'll just try everything until something works. Jim
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
jimbrock

Well, okay! Success. I blew out all the passages in the carburetor with compressed air, reassembled the carb, used a little formagasket and replaced it onto the engine. I forced some gas into the carb and then tried a few flips. Eureka! Fuel draw! Grounding switch open....IT RUNS!!

Thanks to all for the advice.

Jim