Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli Boyz

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brillelli Boyz

I wouldn't mind having a few Jim. I ask about decals a while back and never got a response. I'd like to have some that say "Brillelli 26cc SS" and "Brillelli 40cc GT". I'm looking now for a plane for the 40cc. Winter project.
ORIGINAL: jstanton

Hay guy's would any of you be interested in vinyl Brillelli logo's for your planes. I ask a sign shop and they said they could make them for us, but they have to charge buy the running sq in. A sheet of 1"x3" Brillelli Logo's would cost $48.50 and that would give us 44 labels total. The size can change, but the price would be the same. I have ask Scoot if it was OK with him and I am waiting for a answer right now. If he says it is OK I will get a sheet made. I don't know if 1"x3" would be large enough. What are you thoughts?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Zippi

I'm looking at a few planes and the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEUP9&P=0]Great Planes Extra 300S 1.60 [/link] caught my eye for the Brillelli 40cc GT. I'm also looking at the Wild Hare Edge 540 73". I had thought about biplanes but I don't think I'll go there. Any comments on the Extra 300S?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Zippi,

I just heard back from Scott and he said he has some decals now and it would be OK with him if we had some made. I am asking him about getting some of him decals, but mine where going to be made out of vinyl and not just the decal material. Mine will cost a little more but I think vinyl is the way to go for a nice looking logo. What do you think about the size 1"x3". Scotts decals are about 5" long. I can get the vinyl one made that long, but we would lose some.

I think it would be best just to get the Brillelli logo made other wise getting one made for each size Brillelli sales will cost quite a bit.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Zippi

Jim,

I think the either one, the 3" or 5" would be nice, I like both sizes. The 5" would look good out on the wing somewhere. Have you got that 40cc yet? That is going to be the cats meow on the Giles 202 .
Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
jstanton

Zippi,

I ask Scott about how we can get some of his 5" logo's and I'll see about getting the 1" logo's made.

I think either plane would be fine. I have not seen the great planes extra 300, but I know the wild hare 540 is a beautiful airplane. One of the guy's at our club has one and he fly's it with a Brison 2.4 (40cc) and it is a great flier with that engine so a Brillelli 40GT would be a perfect fit. I have not got the 40GT engine yet, but I just ordered if Monday. I know Scott is 3 weeks behind on sales so I still have about 2 1/2 weeks to go. I'll let you know when it is mounted and flying again.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Zippi

Jim,

I have the 26cc SS on the way and it's going in the Giles 202. It should give the plane a little more performance. I'll still be trying the APC 17X6 and the Master Airscrew 16X8 on this engine. I can't seem to be able to sell any of my planes to the guys at the club. Most of them fly 40 size planes and the guys I hang with fly 120 size but they get one plane and stay with it for a season or two. I had my Skyshark Edge 540 (120) for sale here on RC Universe but didn't want to part with it at the prices that were offered. Less than half of what I was asking. I guess I'll just keep it for now.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
jstanton

Zippi,

The Brillelli 26cc engine should be a better engine that the 25GT engine for the Giles. I know it has a little more power and is a little lighter. I'd like to see a video of it once you get it installed and flying. I was lucky to have someone at my field who wanted these 25GT engines. It made getting the 40GT and now the 54 when it ready a lot easier on the pocket book and with the wife! I am thinking the Giles-202 with the 40GT in it will fly a lot like to Wild Hare 73" 540. It will have a little more wing loading, but I think the Brillelli 49GT engine will make up for it.

Scott is sending me some decals and I ask him to send a couple more for you. If I get them I will forward them off to you. I still might get the smaller ones made for the fuselage.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Zippi

Jim,

Thanks Jim. Decals really make a plane look good. If the 26cc makes it this week and it should I'll be flying the Giles 202 this weekend and you know I'll have a video . I think there is a guy in the " Giant Scale Planes" forum that has the Wild Hare Edge 540 73" with the Brillelli 40cc on the business end and he said it will pull out of a hover really nice. He had some pics of the engine installation and it really looked good. Any word from Scott when the 54cc and 60cc engines will be on line and a price?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
jstanton

Zippi,

I think the new 26cc engine will be a better engine for the Giles-202 than the 25GT. Scott told me he was sending out some labels to you, I think with your new 26. Did you get it yet? Scott said my new 40GT will be on it way soon. He has not said anything about the new 54 or 60 yet, but I know he is very busy so I won't push him on it. He has to build those quality engines and cannot rush things. Let us know how the 26 runs and yes please shoe use some video.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Zippi

jstanton,

I got the 26cc today and got it mounted. This engine is quite a bit smaller than the 25cc in size so the bolt pattern was off and I had to redrill new holes. The spark plug on the 26cc comes out of the head at an angle unlike the 25cc which is in the center sticking straight down so I had to recut the cowl also. There is only one fin on the head that sticks down out of the opening in the cowl that I cut for cooling and I'm going to leave it that way and fly the plane and see how it works as far as cooling. I have to be at the funeral home tomorrow with my better half so don't know how much I'll get done and if I get to fly it this Sunday. The 26cc looks really small compared to the 25cc ..... sure hope it pack a good punch .
Old 06-30-2006, 09:17 PM
jstanton

Zippi,

I am really looking forward to your flight report and video on this engine. This should be a better engine for the Giles-202. The 40cc I have order is only a little bit larger thane the 26cc, I am have to re-drill my bolt holes also. I hope it does not weaken the firewall.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Zippi

Jim,

The firewall doesn't seem like regular ply to me, it's very soft when you drill through it. I am also a little concerned about all the vibration and how it will hold up. Scott sent me some "Brillelli" decals along with the 26cc engine and they will be on for the next flight .
Old 07-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents, I've just posted an updated Gas Weights link to a spreadsheet I've been building. It's elsewhere in the Gas Engines forum. The reason I wanted to post here is that Scott's 46cc is within 3 grams (less than the accuracy tolerance of my scales) of being the LIGHTEST 50 cc Class motor out there, period. My weights include mounts, plugs, ignitions, and real world mufflers. In the case of this beautiful 46 of Scott's, it is a Bisson Side Inverted muffler, going on a friends' GP Ultimate.

GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS work....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48041.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	485354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71855.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	485355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95469.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	485356  
Old 07-01-2006, 09:59 AM
water.boy

I just ordered my Giles from ak-models.com as I've heard that Alex is the best distributor of the CMP models as is great to deal with. I've been keeping up with the posts and the 40GT looks like the winner (as soon as I can afford it). I see that Brillelli has some other engines on the way and I'd like to get the best one for 3d flying. Are any of the newer engines going to work better for my Giles or is the 40GT the best for that size airframe in the current and soon to be released Brillelli line?

I was also wondering about reinforcing the firewall, and it seems some of you are thinking the same. I still consider myself a newbie and I've only assembled ARFs that didn't require much actual building. It looks like the instructions for the Giles are geared towards someone more experienced, but they don't really scare me that much. I can see where parts fit together and can make it happen, but the extra steps that the pros use are what have me guessing. If anyone can provide any day zero type build tips for the Giles, like beefing up the firewall and the landing gear area, and if the recommended CG is right, I'd appreciate it. I'd like my Giles to last longer than one flight.

I can't wait to get building on this since I fly with some guys that are always looking for a good cheap rig and this looks like one of the best I've seen.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Zippi

I got up early this morning so I could test run the new 26cc engine on the Giles 202. There were a lot of changes to be made to get eveything back in running order but nothing the average flyer couldn't handle. I checked the settings where Scott had it and got ready to fire it up. 30 min. later it finally started. Not sure what the deal was, it would pop a lot but wouldn't start. It had a good idle at around 2200-2500 rpm and with the APC 17X6 prop and I tached it at 8300 rpm on the top end. I shut it off to lean the high end about a 1/16 to see if I could gain a few more rpms but never got it started again. I worked on it for an hour trying different things but no luck. It would pop from time to time but it wouldn't start. I'll have to wait a few days until I have the time to play with it again. I was going to try and fly it late today but looks like thats out. Scott, what is different about the 26cc over the 25cc in starting??? The 25cc was easy to start but I haven't figured this one out. I know it's not the engine, it ran good when it was running. It's just me again [:@]. Scott sent me some of the "Brillelli decals and they really look good on the plane.

Name:	Ay76108.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	485430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78728.jpg
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	485431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81490.jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	485432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34850.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	485433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68949.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	485434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tj74698.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	485435  
Old 07-01-2006, 12:15 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hello

I would like to see some hover pics from this engine.

highfly3D
Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Zippi

I don't know if anyone thats been in this forum is using theses engines on a lighter plane. You would probably have to get to about 8 or 9 lbs for these engines to hover a plane. The Brillelli 40cc will do the trick.

water.boy,

I like others re-epoxied the engine box and added tri stock where you can get it inside the engine box and added the CapX landing gear. I used all 4-40 control rods and Hitec HS-645MG servos. A little over kill but I had a couple so I got a few more to finish the plane.
ORIGINAL: highfly3D

hello

I would like to see some hover pics from this engine.

highfly3D
Old 07-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Zippi

I couldn't stand it not knowing why I couldn't get the little 26cc engine fired up so when the wife left to go to the store I went back out to the garage and tried again. I opened the throttle, stuck my finger in the valosity stack and ran the prop over just three times and on the first flip it popped. I took about 10 more flip and it started. Looks like this engine is very easy to flood. I just wanted to post this so people didn't get the wrong idea. These little engines are power houses for their size and very high quality. Looks like I need to fine tune my starting skills for this engine.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

I'm using Hitec HS635's everywhere but Rudder - I have a Digital HS5625MG there - but I have noticed it has a little play when centered, allows the rudder to move enough to see 1/8th inch deflection at the front of the V-stab. I'm thinking I need to replace it before flying, and send the servo back to Hitec for a checkup. Probably just get a 645 from my LHS.

Zippi - am I correct in understanding you had the 25GT on that plane, and now have moved to the 26? It doesn't look like you used any standoffs on the 26. The 26 is a shorter motor - did you just slide your cowling farther back on the fuse? My measurements say I need like a 7/8ths inch standoff to get the prop hub where the CMP instructions say it should be.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Oh, and this is my 1st gasser - what is proper break-in on an engine like this?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Zippi

adrenalnjunky,

Yes, I had the 25cc GT on this plane and have swithched to the 26cc SS. I bolted the 25cc GT right to the engine box and ran bolts from inside the engine box through the threaded mount. The 26cc engine was a little smaller and had a plate bolted to the back side and the distance from the engine box to the back of the back plate on the spinner was the same. Just mount your cowl so you have a 1/16 gap between the cowl and the spinner back plate. Mounting the engine this way the CG came out to the print which is correct. You might run a few tanks through it before you fly. They gain power with more run time on the engine.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Zippi

Here is the Brillelli 26cc SS engine installed on the GSP Giles 202. Someone had ask about stand offs and any mods. There were no stand offs used as you can see. The distance from the engine box to the back of the spinner back plate is 4 13/16" and that gives you about 1" of the cowl to slip over the fuse. With all the mods I made with the CapX gear, no stand offs, Hitec HS-645MG in the rear and HS-635 on the ailerons the CG came out right on the money to the print. The cowl will slip right past the Velocity stack on the carb. These little 26cc SS/EI engines are packed full of power and will turn an APC 17X6 prop around 8700 rpm right out of the box. Tunning the engine was a little tricky for me but with a little hard work I think I've got it along with the fine support from Scott at Brillelli engines. Nothing like having someone to talk to when you need help with an engine and the boyz at Brillelli are top of the line when it comes to customer service. Not able to upload pics at this time because of the server at RC Universe but I will later.

Name:	Tr50339.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	486430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97037.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	486431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10853.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	486432  
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM
jstanton

Zippi,

This is great news. I am really looking forward to seeing this engine on the Giles and the video of her flying.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:58 AM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: adrenalnjunky

Oh, and this is my 1st gasser - what is proper break-in on an engine like this?

----------------

Gas utility engines do not need a break-in like a glow engine. Tune it for peak, then back off 200-300 rpm. The engine will not benefit from running excessively rich as a glow engine would. Burn the mixture (octane and oil) that the engine vendor recommends and you are good to go.

The engine will free up some and will require retuning as it accumulates running time, but there is no need to baby it. Expect the engine to eject some nasty oily black drops during the first while. This is normal and will cease after a while.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Scott got the 60 running, I'll let him post the numbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.