Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

clunk question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk question

I'm still having a problem with my G26 dieing on me after inverted flight. I think the problem is lack of fuel to the carb. The clunk tube is the same I have from the tank to the carb and I think it may be too stiff. What can I use that's not so stiff? If I try a slow roll or anything that keeps the plane inverted for just a few seconds it will quit running.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: clunk question

Black neoprene stays pretty limber over long periods of time.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 PM
RTK

If it is dieing after just a couple of seconds it should not be from fuel starvation. Try pulling off the line while running and see how long they actually run, it might surprise you.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:07 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think that the clunk is the culprit as gas engines due to their fuel economy can run for quite awhile on the gas that is in the fuel line and carb.

I think you should look elsewhere for the solution to your problem. Maybe a needle needs a bit of tweaking or something. Ralph our Zenoah guru always chimes in here to help.

Karol
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM
suitcase

The reason I posted is that it died on me after a long inverted to straight down dive. After it leveled out, it died and I overshot the runway into an old fence covered with honey suckel vines. Lucky no damage was done. I pulled the tank out today and the clunk was at the front of the tank still, I suppose due to the sudden stop into the fence. I changed the clunk tube to a smaller diameter tube but it still won't fall to the front of the tank in a downward attitude. I'll try what you say about the test of how long it will run after it loses it's fuel though. I'm still prone to blame it on the fuel delivery system.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't want your clunk falling to the front of the tank on a dive. It'll get stuck there and then you'll deadstick when you pull up level or vertical.

If your diving long enough to suck all the fuel out of the line and out of the carb--you must be flying 1500' high.

Just put black neoprene tubing on it, as SilverSurfer suggested.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

Hi Suitcase, You want the clunk to stay at the back of the tank, but fall freely from top to bottom. I try to get mine about 1/4" from touching the back. I also use the black neoprene line. Wayne M.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
hubbajer
My Feedback: (7)

I think Karolh is right on. I have had several gassers that did the same thing and every time it was carb adjustments that cured it.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
suitcase

I'll try to find some black neoprene and replace the existing tubing. I've gone so far as to change the stock carb to the G23 carb trying to cure the problem but to no avail. The clunk is now about 1/4" from the back of the tank and falls freely from top to bottom. However, when pointed down, it will be out of the gas once the level drops to about 2/3rd of a tank. The last two times out, dead sticks were the last flight on my Big Boy. It's getting a little old, if you get my drift.[:@]
Old 08-11-2006, 05:31 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: suitcase

I'll try to find some black neoprene and replace the existing tubing. I've gone so far as to change the stock carb to the G23 carb trying to cure the problem but to no avail. The clunk is now about 1/4" from the back of the tank and falls freely from top to bottom. However, when pointed down, it will be out of the gas once the level drops to about 2/3rd of a tank. The last two times out, dead sticks were the last flight on my Big Boy. It's getting a little old, if you get my drift.[:@]
When the plane is headed down, you can't go slow enough to cause the fuel to go to the front of the tank. The plane descends faster than the fuel, so the fuel stays at the rear of the tank.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Beware of neoprene hose, I ripped out the landing on the second flight of a Wildhare Edge about two weeks ago. The neoprene slid off its pipe inside the tank. If you use the neoprene make sure you solder barbs on the pipe that the neoprene goes on, plus use a wire tie to make sure it stays on.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 PM
rcbill

Suitcase, I use neoprene inside the tank with a stiffener so the clunk stays free but to the rear of the tank just like Wayne and the others have mentioned. I use tygon on the outside of the tank for visual purposes. I barb everything and use small wire ties on all fittings. It works very well for me. Zero problems with leaks or lines falling off etc.....[8D]....Bill Knock on Wood....
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

I know you want to believe it is the clunk...but listen to this. My G-26 ran great, and reliably in almost every attitude...but RPMs would sag immediately when I went into a (left wing side down) knife edge attitude. It never quit, but I didn't hold it in that position for very long either...and it sure didn't give me much confidence that it would continue to run. I was baffled as to what may be the cause. Other than that little glitch, it ran perfectly. Because of some non-related work on the plane, I had to completely retune my carb. Now, with the carb PROPERLY tuned, the sagging in knife edge has disappeared. Everything else remained the same...same plane...same fuel tank, etc etc. My suspicion is that due to improper tuning, it was becoming ever so slightly lean in knife edge, and the correct retuning of the carb solved the problem. I hope this clue works for you too.
jim