Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 115 Any Field Reports?

Good reason not to be in a hurry and fly alone Since I won't have time to fly for a while I wanted to at least see if it would work.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
altavillan

Fantastic, And since you are gona be gone for a bit drop the carb off here on your way through
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
RTK

If I had time I would be more than happy to altavillin
Gonna test another carb when I receive it as per my request. This new one will have the high needle linked to the throttle arm, similar to the MVVS 116. Hardened needle and insert to stop wear.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RTK is this a modified WB? Does it have the same venturi size as the WB?
please try this:
Low throttle (less that 1/4) roll to knife edge with the rear cylinder pointing down, or better yet, run the engine on the ground less the 1/4 throttle and rotate the plane with the rear cylinder down. Does it loose several hundred RPM? Did you try slow rolling circles at a low throttle setting? After several carb mods my engine also runs as you describe but still has the nasty habit of sagging in a low throttle knife edge. It still responds well to the throttle when it sags but this makes for some difficult flying.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM
altavillan

Wings I know it's probably mentioned before but if you are having a low rpm sag when rolling to KE that would indicate the low needle is a bit fat. What you are doing is positioning the fuel storage bowl in a position higher than the needles and that allows the engine to draw more fuel. At 1/4 throttle the engine is responding to the low needle setting and not much to the high. The carb is massively large and air currents through it are minamul for operation. A tiny adjustment to lean the low might fix it.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
RTK

ORIGINAL: Wings-RCU

RTK is this a modified WB? Does it have the same venturi size as the WB?
please try this:
Low throttle (less that 1/4) roll to knife edge with the rear cylinder pointing down, or better yet, run the engine on the ground less the 1/4 throttle and rotate the plane with the rear cylinder down. Does it loose several hundred RPM? Did you try slow rolling circles at a low throttle setting? After several carb mods my engine also runs as you describe but still has the nasty habit of sagging in a low throttle knife edge. It still responds well to the throttle when it sags but this makes for some difficult flying.
I was in a bit of a hurry, but I rolled (slow) and KE'd the plane at every throttle setting from idle to WOT.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM
dbcaster

What wings is decribing is the main issue. If you lean the low enough to get rid of the rpm drop the engine will flame out. There is no middle ground. At least I never found it, and that is with the smallest amount of mixture changes possible. The problem happens on the ground as well if you pick up the plane and turn it on knife edge so it can't be an airflow issue.
Wings,
I was in your same position, trying to dial in rolling circles and dealing with rpm drops is no fun.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: dbcaster

What wings is decribing is the main issue. If you lean the low enough to get rid of the rpm drop the engine will flame out. There is no middle ground. At least I never found it, and that is with the smallest amount of mixture changes possible. The problem happens on the ground as well if you pick up the plane and turn it on knife edge so it can't be an airflow issue.
Wings,
I was in your same position, trying to dial in rolling circles and dealing with rpm drops is no fun.
dbcaster---That is why I told everyone in MULTIPLE posts to NOT adjust the needles as you would with other engines. The low does not affect the low/mid range to that great of an extent, it is the high coming in to soon causing the richening.
Why don't you call or e-mail the manufacturer and ask him for yourself?? Because if you would have he would have told you exactly what I am saying. So either you have not contacted him and or never listened to me or..............

Next time try [email protected]

Sorry for the poor attitude, bad day at work.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Part of the problem is that at first everyone, including Keith, was saying to get both the low and high ends as lean as possible. Keith told me to do this.
It wasn't until later that Keith and others realized that it was better to have the low end a little rich, and the high end a little lean. Now most agree that this is what's best. Unfortunately, it's still not good enough and we are still looking for a solution to the rich mid range.

Jim
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
altavillan

Ok then my bad. Since it is getting too much fuel in KE, open em up some more. Scratching head.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems there are now 3 ways to skin this cat. One is patrickP's mysterious carb add on. One is the new 3 needle carb from BME. It had BETTER work perfectly. The last is using a smaller carb like the one Altavillan has been playing with.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 PM
RTK

Pat- I only have a few flights on mine, I'm not jumping the gun yet. But it did work the first time out. There might also be a forth way soon.

Altivillan-- You can turn up the low needle a lot and it will not muddy up the low/mid range causing the dreaded burble when rolling. The problem is the high circuit is feeding WAY too soon. That is what is screwing up the low/mid range, lean the high enough and it subsides. Or at least for me, but if you fly much WOT it gets hot quick! and you know me.
So,,,,, You richen the low needle to compensate for the leaning of the high which keeps you from melting your canister couplers. Well, it still will lean on the top with out a mod.

Counter intuitive, ain't it

I haven't counted the turns on the three needle carb yet. All you really have to do is visually see how the low is cranked out and the high (now mid) is turned almost all the way in. The new high is the old governor.
That is what I like about the three needle carb. It "should" be infinitely adjustable for any engine made.

Edited for dbcaster--You are correct, with the "stock" WB carb you will either be too lean on the top and ok in the low/mid OR you will be rich/dieing in the low/mid and fine on the high.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
dbcaster

RTK,
I did call Keith several times on this issue. I was going to write a response but this BS is why I left this thread in the first place. You always put it back on the user. There is a design issue with the porting and case on the engine in MY opinion. You can keep saying 98% of the people out there don't know how to tune a carb all day. If the engine is only usable by the 2% that are carb tuning experts or want to search for a better carb on a $1200 engine so be it. I knew I should not have come back to this thread and I will not again. Good luck to all with the wonderful adventure of the BME 115.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
RTK

dbcaster--You are correct, with the "stock" WB carb you will either be too lean on the top and OK in the low/mid OR you will be rich/dieing in the low/mid and fine on the high.
If it sounded like I was saying this engine was perfect with the original WB forgive me. I can make it run acceptable in the low/mid, but with sacrificing high or visa versa.
Although, I now "believe" the 3 needle carb should fix any short comings, only time will tell. There might be others solutions as well. Altavillans, Patricks, and or others might all work out well.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 PM
RTK

One more thing. If after more testing this carb performs as I hope, I will give it to you.
Bring your plane/engine down to my flying field and I will change it out for you. After a good day of flying we can go out for lunch.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know folks I came in here to read about this engine as I am interested in this one as a replacement in my 33% WH Edge so I basically started on the last page and went backwards to see what has been going on with some of the carb things I've been hearing about and I must say that for the most part there has been nothing but bickering going on for the last several pages so here is how this is gonna go from this point on.

If this bickering does not stop and stop for good by all parties then the thread will be locked or deleted as cleaning it out would turn the thread into garbage. Any attempt to restart the subject will be monitored very closely and any arguing will result in me having who ever placed on moderated status without any warning and that includes this thread as well. It's that simple, We are all adults here so let's act like it. I am not going to point fingers and would appreciate if no one else goes to that point.

So to help get this back on track, it seems that there are still tuning issues on some carbs and I'd love to hear what seems to be the issue here carb model numbers between ones that are running fine and ones that have issues would be good if that would show anything

I'd also love to hear about the 3 needle carb. The other reasons I am curious is I have a friend who has one of these in a 35% WH Sukhoi and he is getting the burble in KE and during a roll. We spent loads of time today trying to correct for it and never got it because one of the brazings on the right header broke so that pretty much ended it for the day. It seemed no matter what we did we just could not get rid of it without causing it to go lean on the high end and just so you all know, the cowl is baffled well, there is a CF plate over the pressure vent.

And one other thing comes to mind, it seems that the general concensus may be the high speed coming in too quick, would the pop-off be the cause of that or am I just dreaming?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I emailed keith about the mid range and positional in flight sagging I have experienced and he has offered to change it to the 3 needle solution If I send him the reed block and carb. Im going to take him up on this offer and get the stuff to him this week. My question for rtk is EXACTLY where are your needle settings on your 3 needle carb. My first carb was the 3 needle and it wouldnt work right at all so I hope this next one is better. I know mine could be diferent etc.. etc.. I just want to know where yours are for comparative reasons from what it is set to when I get it back. My carb opening is also right at the cowl bottom. I tried taping some cardbord to deflect some of the air to make sure it wasnt an airflow problem when it's in the air to no avail but I will go 1 step farter when the carb is off and fiberglass a bump in the cowl to keep the carb out of the slip stream completely. Hopefully I can get it back in a few weeks and I'll post to let any other interested party's if it helped
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 PM
altavillan

Ralph is stuck in a blizard somewhere in Utah making sure the next Disney family film doesn't get filmed.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ron had his 330 at the field agian yesterday and we leaned the top end just a bit agian. The motor was ripping the 27 X 10 at 5000 feet above sea level. He was also doing some realy slow inverted stuf and the motor just ran great. Lots of torque rolls also. I'm impressed with the power of this engine. I think it needs a bigger prop.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
marksextra
My Feedback: (28)

Sooooo.....after all this, is this engine safe to fly yet? Please, use simple language.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 AM
jst

Hi Any results from the other testers of PATRICKP?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I Lost track????? Steve is Ron a PATRICKP test result or does Ron have the 2 needle carb and has tuned it in?

Tony
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I don't think Ron has a Patrick kit. Patrick wanted them tested at different altitudes and I'm testing one (soon, I hope) at 5,000 feet. It looks like Ron is also at 5,000 feet, so I don't think he got a kit.
I don't think we've heard from any of the testers yet, but we should start hearing from them now. I though one was going to be flying a week ago, but I don't think we've heard from him.
I apologize again for my delay, but there's not much I can do until I get my new rudder from Germany. As soon as the rudder gets here, I'll install it and be ready for testing the next day after the epoxy dries. Patricks kit is installed on my BME 115 and ready for testing.

Jim

By the way, here is the plane I'll be testing Patricks kit in:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3511827
It's a real shame that this plane hasn't been able to fly all year because this BME 115 won't run right.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Jim, NICE!!!! I love the one of the Pilot- thats perfect.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
marksextra
My Feedback: (28)

Since no one is answering...I'll take that as a no and go buy something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.