Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Let's try again DL-50

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:52 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's try again DL-50

Would 1/4" G10 board be acceptable mounting material? And can you bolt directly thru the mounting tabs and thru the plate to the stand-offs or do you need to have the engine bolted to the plate and the plate then bolted to the stand-offs?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I have mine mounted to DAstyle standoffs only right now, but if a re-inforcement plate will give a little protection from a nose over or strike, I am there.

Sure would be nice if the plate and standoffs could use the same holes...then the drill pattern wont have to change.

My carb is defective from the factory, the main jet is plugged and 150psi blow gun cant open it up, I tried using a sewing needle....no way.

The little brass jet was pressed in the wrong way and never flowed fuel. I need a carb body.....took a another off a DA and will run towmorrow , but I am short a carb.

It just figures , everything else is OK, but the Walbro. Lucky me.

The reed block is completely different than the DA...the DA is a square 4 petal reed block...1 reed per side of the square.

THe DL is rectangle with two reeds per side. Same reed area.

I found a bad reed while taking the carb off the DA...one was sticking up a little...that is why this motor was deadsticking before I took it off the last plane it was on. I flipped it over and it sealed. Glad I took the carb off for the DL.....[8D][8D]
Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 AM
PlaneKrazee

I wonder if RCIGN1 could drill out the carb for you or if he would know what size broach to use.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 AM
jetstuff

Tough luck Bosshoss.... must be a first!? []

I think the mounting plate is a great idea.... is it new? To be most effective in protecting the engine from bending forces in the event of a noseover or worse, it should use seperate mounting holes for the standoffs, otherwise it would just be another spacer..... if made in thick good quality plywood that should be fine...(or better?)

john
Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Bosshossv8

Most birds dont have alot of room for a wider pattern.....so the holes would be inboard....eh?

THen that would cut into the carb hole area.

MAybe flush mounting to the firewall with carb throgh the hole in box would be best.

Quite a few birds used to be done this way,,,,,eh??

Someone who as the right press and parts could fix this carb body...it was just assembled wrong or a burr got in the main jet hole.

But, this carb is much much cheaper than the DA carb. Plastic hose connections vs. metal ones.....also the main jet on the DA does not have a plastic insert , is is all brass.
Also the DL carb has a spot of glue over the main jet , in the bowl....it looks like the DA carb is hand peen'ed...no glue.

So , on the outside from 10 feet away....this LOOKS like a DA...but anywhere cost could be cut.....it was cut. JMHO. I am not dissing the engine...it is what it is....the main factor is ............

IT RUNS.........can't wait for for throttle in a few hours. If it runs up....It will be airborne after one more tank. I had to stay up late last nite repairing the hack job I did on the fuel system of the test plane for troubleshooting.

You know the drill....first take out the filer, take out the T, cut this line put ihere..ooops...cut the T, run one lie no filter to the carb...I went through every progression hacking up the fuel system to figure out what was wrong....

HaHaHa....bad Walbro.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever figure it out?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
jetstuff

sounds as though the carb may be a copy rather than a genuine Walbro then.....? I wouldn't know as this is my first venture into petrol engines...but it seems to work OK if you get a good one.

john
Old 03-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Bosshossv8

THis was a genuine Walbro , complete with part numbers. THe main jet was not seated ight or oriented correctly. I found a little cut up plastic in the jet but was stillunable to clear it.

No Biggie, my carb from my DA set at LSN+ 1 3/4 and HSN at 2 was perfect and did not need any further adjustment.

I have video of my maiden flight with it, rolling on take off violenty, and 3ding almost immediatley....well, at least my version of 3D..

It spun a Menzs 22 x 10 at 7050 on a GloBee tach. Lawnboy 32:1.

Idles very reliably...and in the video you can see me going around three times going lower on the thrott trim every pass to slow it down. 10 pitch is #$%#$%.

Can't wait to throw a 23x8 after a couple of gallons. No hint of kickback, predictable starting.

A-OK.

Video later tonite...I am a newbie at video authoring....[&:]
Old 03-11-2007, 07:09 PM
PlaneKrazee

BSV8,

Sounds like you might like it. Are you using the muffler that came with it or a DA?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 AM
The Big Kahuna

G’day all you 50cc engine folks,
I have been following a number of threads on cheap Chinese 50cc+- engines for newbie’s to the class for 3 months now. I too am in the market to make the next big step so I have noted very carefully all the pros & cons of the DL50, Peak 45, Peak 65, DZY48 twin, MVVS etc., etc. Having been burnt on eBay with lack of service a number of times on unrelated items, I have opted not to pursue this one man band line of shop as there is no guarantee of service. If there is ,it mainly lip service with no backup. I note that the underlying singular point of hesitation for most of us would be buyers is the question of QUALITY CONTROL. Are the exhaust holes drilled and tapped?, Is the carby on the right way and with no obstructions?, will the engine mounts take the work load? Etc etc, we have all read it over and over. Now after 3 months I have come to a conclusion. I have been enlightened! Chinese production is improving rapidly, Quality control seems to mean how many they can get out the door in a minimum amount of time! So unless we are dealing with someone who’s reputation is as stake in the Western World and has a genuine love of the hobby, we will be taking a gamble for some considerable time yet. I don’t want to be posting my blood on the forum just because I gambled on someone skimping on Quality control. The answer is simple! Just go to http://.flygsw.org/venom 45.htm and have a good read of this very concise appraisal of Copperhead Aviations VENOM 45. It produces 4.8 hp just point 2 of a hp less than the almighty DA50. but for only $346USD. Yes it is made in China by a bloke who is passionate about his work. You will find Tim from Copperhead on every engine thread that relates to his product line. He is not arrogant, he is not pushy, in fact he comes across as a most humble sort of a working chap who has both is name and his arse on the line. To top it off, he offers uncompromising backup and service – AL FOR THE SAME CHINESE CHEAP PRICE! How can you beat that? I emailed him today for a delivery price to Australia and I hope more of you will see my reasoning and just buy one from him instead of risking more blood! Do yourself a flavor, go to http://copperheadaviation.com and read his credentials.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:09 AM
The Big Kahuna

Sorry guys, got the link wrong last time try http://tech.flygsw.org/venom45.htm it's worth the read .
Old 03-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Bosshossv8

My first attempt at making and posting my own video.

Laugh away...I cut out the parts of my nose running, and swearing and trimming out the plane!!!!

Not much here that I could post but more on the way with a better prop this afternoon.

Check out the snaps on the go-rounds and takeoff....the hover was out of focus...sorry....more to come

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=b637cc42bb997841e11a]DL 50 maiden on KMP/EF Reject Yak-54[/link]
Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Looking good Boss. I put several flights on my dl50 this weekend.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
jetstuff

yep...that engine seems to fly OK.... it had too really didn't it
The titles look as though you've done that before....how did you add them?
John
Old 03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Bosshossv8

I used windows movie maker....storyboard and timeline...I am newbie at it.

I can;t seem to figure out what setting on the camera for the autofocus to quit hunting after you get far out.

I used a MenzS 22 x 10 and I had a hell of time getting it to slow down.

I flew a few more times after that flight, and even deadsticked it, after bringing the idle down ,click after click , on landing go-rounds' .

That 10 pitch prop was given to me by a friend...now, I know why. I was just at the field , but the wind was terrible, so I did not even unload. When i can, I will sit in the easy chair at th field, and burn 2 or 3 gallons just floating around...so I can get to AMsoil 50:1 on her.

Then she goes in a Aerotech Pitts M-12 Python.

Now , what would be a good 50cc twin engine airplane to play with??? Gotta go looking .....

note to DL Power: just send me a crate of these.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
arobatx

22x10s work good on biplanes, they balance out the extra drag well.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Bosshossv8

ORIGINAL: arobatx

someone else told me the same thing....I will try it on the Python for sure.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
arobatx

I like that python, be sure to start a new thread and keep us updated on that plane. Keep your reports coming on the DL50, I'm just about ready to grab one...
Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Ialwayscrash
My Feedback: (106)

Well I sent my new, unstarted DL-50 to RCIGN1 to play with. He should have it before the end of the week. I am looking forward to his opinion on the thing. He said he will post his impressions here for all to see.
Crash
Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
arobatx

Nice work! I can't wait to hear from him on this.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Bosshossv8

Thats great, I am interested in what a real motor guru will say about it.

Hey Ralph....take a look at the main jet in the carb...see the plastic insert....wierd.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
skreamer
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I sent of E-mail to Peak about parts on Fri. after crash and also Mon. A.M. and no response. I also called # on site and the fella that answered said that he could not talk right now. I said I had E-mailed and he said to wait for answer. I think he was outside and there was a lot of backgroung noise so conversation was short and not informative. Anyway I see that they have them listed this morning. They had 10 and now they have 9. Guess why? Yep, I did it again. I am going to find a machinist ( all in our area are busy for 3-4 weeks and say 4 hours at $60) that will do it for reasonable price hopefully. If not I'm thinking aluminum block and Dremel or Rotozip tool and I'll do it myself. Still no donation on those mounts that some were badmouthing. They must have decided that they will work fine. []
Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: arobatx

My DL-50 left the peoples republic of China today. Probably have it Saturday or Monday. My 3MM 53cc will arrive tomorrow. If I was an ARF maker like Chris at EF, SD models, QQ ect... I'd be tickled to death about these resonable priced engines. It will allow them to sell a lot more arfs. I always wondered why were were paying nearly 700 dollars for a little 50cc engine with muffler. Next will be the big twins and we'll be able to efford 35-40 percent planes. Your going to be seeing some 5945 equivilant digital servo's on the market soon as well. Again about half price of what we are currently paying. It's all good for the modeler.

john
Old 03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: skreamer

Well, I sent of E-mail to Peak about parts on Fri. after crash and also Mon. A.M. and no response. I also called # on site and the fella that answered said that he could not talk right now. I said I had E-mailed and he said to wait for answer. I think he was outside and there was a lot of backgroung noise so conversation was short and not informative. Anyway I see that they have them listed this morning. They had 10 and now they have 9. Guess why? Yep, I did it again. I am going to find a machinist ( all in our area are busy for 3-4 weeks and say 4 hours at $60) that will do it for reasonable price hopefully. If not I'm thinking aluminum block and Dremel or Rotozip tool and I'll do it myself. Still no donation on those mounts that some were badmouthing. They must have decided that they will work fine. []
10 bucks plus shipping and my mounts are yours

John
Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM
PlaneKrazee

I got my engine today. It smells as if it has been run at the factory. The castings are ok, the front casting looks used compared to the back case. Looks like cold flow in a flew spots on the front case half but the mounting tabs and whole rear case look good. The threads for the plug are not perfect, the top of the combustion chamber looks very rough and I can see a few pinholes in the bore of the cylinder. Is the cylinder chromed? It has cross hatching, I didn't think you could really do that to chrome. I know the 3M motors are not chromed. How long do you think that cylinder will last.

The manufacturer of this engine recommends 30:1 oil. Going lower may drastically reduce it's cylinder life.

On a final note, you sometimes get what you pay for and sometimes not. Price doesn't always reflect quality but paying extra helps quality control and parts availabilty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.