Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:45 AM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

Meaden: Using the word Sin was pretty strong. I'd seen that very dame thing all to often. How ever it is your aircraft and Grandfather. If doing this makes good memories come back, go for it,
Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

I don't believe I ever stated, or suggested, that you shouldn't fly the plane. If it seemed that way I'm very sorry. I'm sure your Grandpa would be proud to watch it take to the sky in your hands. My only intent in my original post was to ask you to document everything in case you ever wanted to put it back the way it was built. Things like that gas tank are a hoot to look at but you know what, they worked. So did a lot of other home built items. I think it's great that you're going to put the plane in a safe flying order and fly it again but wouldn't it be great to have a series of photos showing the changes made over the years for your kids, or in case you had to put it back together[:@][:@]. Good luck with the maiden! Enjoy your plane!!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
meaden

Anyway, back to the engine questions. I got a 16oz sullivan slant tank and a gas stopper for it. Will the standard size Tygon line (3/32) be large enough or should I redo the tank with larger fittings? and use 1/8

The tank my grandpa had in there looks like it had 3/32 to the carb and 1/8 for the vent and the fill...did he just use what he had laying around? It's hard really to tell the sizes on these old lines.

Also he had a filter on the clunk would it work just as well to put a filter in the line to the carb? What filter would you recommend?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Al Lewis
Banned

I would leave the filter in the tank and pre-filter before fueling. My fuel can has a in-can filter and a in-line filter (Jersy Modellers) As for the tubing you will need to replace all of that with 1/8" tygon. The yellow stuff for gas.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I much prefer the Hayes black seamless neoprene tubing for all in tank plumbing as it does not get stiff with age like Tygon does, and use Tygon for all outside work. A 3/32" id tubing is all you need and gives a much snugger fit on brass tubing than the 1/8".

Use a felt filtred clunk on your fuel jug's pickup line and an inline filter on the feed line from your pump with a felt filtered clunk on the tank's feed line is all you need. I use two small nylon ties at each connection in tandem with some sort of barb system soldered to the brass ends as gas tubing is notorious for slipping off due to the vibrations from a gasser.

Karol
Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 16oz sullivan slant tank and a gas stopper for it.
Seems I've heard people having problems with the Sullivan brand (gaoline) tank stopper. Something about it turning into a gooey mess and fouling the carb and engine. I use Du-bro brand gasoline stoppers in my tanks with no issues due to the reported problems with the Sullivan gas stoppers. Was I dreaming this or have people really had problems with the sullivan stoppers?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
meaden

I haven't decided what to do with the fuel tank and lines...I'd like to hear if anyone has had problems with the Sullivan stopper and more opinions on the line size.

I got a little ahead of myself and pulled the throttle servo and some of the other wiring out of the plane.

I got the carb rebuilt and reinstalled. I'd like some feedback on the throttle linkage. Looks good to me but I think I'll replace all the nylon connectors. It's a cable push rod...so I might replace that as well.

Oh, the broken control arm is from the throttle servo when I took a screw driver to it. I need to check everything...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34901.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	818595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48354.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	818596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41217.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	818597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf52439.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	818598  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Bass1

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5311392/anchors_5311392/mpage_1/key_Sullivan%252Cgasoline%252Cstopper/anchor/tm.htm#5311392]Go here for Stopper Info[/link]
Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 PM
meaden

Well, that puts a nail in the stopper question. I need a visit from Santa...
Old 12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
meaden

For those that are interested, I haven't abandoned this thread. I've been waiting on parts. Servos, fuel line, filters, brass tubing...and the Dubro stopper came today! I'll make some progress next week.

75 degrees in Atlanta, in December...I'm going flying this weekend!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:02 AM
meaden

I had some time this morning and I got the fuel tank in. Quite a bit different than Grandpa's I went with the 1/8 line and wired it down good to the fittings. Dubro stopper and filter clunk. Looks like it'll work.

Name:	Sp45423.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	825456  
Old 12-15-2007, 07:12 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: meaden

I went with the 1/8 line and wired it down good to the fittings. Dubro stopper and filter clunk. Looks like it'll work.
It is not a good idea to use "wire" as a means of holding the fuel tubing to the brass, as it will eventually cut through the fuel tubing. Small nylon cable ties are a much better choice. Apart from that, I think Grandpa would be proud of your tank arrangement.

Karol
Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
meaden

I've used both wire and zip ties on my glow planes and haven't had a problem with either. I just had the wire on hand.

I pulled the servos and Grandpa's "mounting tray." Another example of his waste nothing attitude First pic is the top second the bottom.

I rebuilt the dual servo elevator linkage too. Some of the connectors were looking rough but the main part looked workable.

I installed a new switch. I was able to roughly use the switch and charge holes that my Grandpa cut in the cockpit floor. I'll fill it and clean it up some later.

Name:	Yw68076.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	827854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27409.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	827855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57423.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	827856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39353.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	827857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33928.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	827858  
Old 12-31-2007, 11:24 AM
meaden

Not much progress because of the holidays. Happy New Year everyone!

I got a new servo tray cut which turned out to be a pain. My jig saw bit the dust and I don't have a scroll saw. So I had to drill out most the waste on the 1/4" ply with my drill press and chisel the rest. Finishing it up with a knife and sandpaper.

After drilling the holes for the screws and fitting the servos it was a perfect fit but I found the switch interfered with the servos the way it was mounted. So I've had to reposition the switch and fill the holes. I used SuperFil a light weight epoxy filler. Great stuff, but it takes a day to cure. So I guess I'm done for the day. Wait for the filler to cure so I can mount the switch so I can mount the servos...

Name:	Db85849.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	838453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67353.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	838454  
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
meaden

Well, the switch is mounted and the servos installed. Rather than trying to match the red paint I decided to paint the cockpit interior flat black. Ronnie cleaned up nicely too.

I'm going to work on the linkages and throws this week. I'd like to test run the engine this weekend if the weather is half way decent.

A few questions...

It looks like Grandpa had a 20x10 on it does that sound about right?

I read that the prop should be mounted 90 degrees to the mag. But where should the mags be in relationship to the compression? Before, after, or at the down stroke? I'm guessing this is less critical with the spring starter.

Knowing my Grandpa's thriftiness I'm sure he was using whatever oil he put in his lawn tools. What oil and ratio do you think I should start with considering it hasn't been run in a few years?

Last one...

I have a 6V 1400mah battey I can use. Should I get one with more capacity?

Name:	Vt56122.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	844820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72597.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	844821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85257.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	844822  
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: meaden

Well, the switch is mounted and the servos installed. Rather than trying to match the red paint I decided to paint the cockpit interior flat black. Ronnie cleaned up nicely too.

I'm going to work on the linkages and throws this week. I'd like to test run the engine this weekend if the weather is half way decent.

A few questions...

It looks like Grandpa had a 20x10 on it does that sound about right?

I read that the prop should be mounted 90 degrees to the mag. But where should the mags be in relationship to the compression? Before, after, or at the down stroke? I'm guessing this is less critical with the spring starter.

Knowing my Grandpa's thriftiness I'm sure he was using whatever oil he put in his lawn tools. What oil and ratio do you think I should start with considering it hasn't been run in a few years?

Last one...

I have a 6V 1400mah battey I can use. Should I get one with more capacity?

If the engine is fitted with a recoil spring to aid starting, the position of the prop is not critical. I would suggest a 20x8 prop on that engine/model combination for increased thrust rather than speed.

As for oil, use any quality 2 stroke syn. for air cooled engines mixed at 32:1 for the first couple runs after which you can switch to a 40-50:1 mix ratio if you so desire.

Regarding the receiver battery power, a 6v 1400 mAh battery pack will be more than adequate, just make sure that the servos are capable of handling 6volts.

Hope everything goes well with your engine startup as I'm sure your Grandpa will be watching.

Karol
Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
meaden

I got the linkages installed and the throws look reasonable. I'm very pleased with the control response. Everything seems to be working very smooth.

The weather here in Georgia looks good tomorrow so I'll go out to the field and try to fire it up. I've arranged for a fellow club member with gas experience to watch my back and help me out.

I'll test run the engine with the 20x10 but I have a 20x8 and some new wheels on the way.

After the engine run I think it's just a matter of changing out the aileron servos and getting up the nerve to fly the beast!

Name:	Sq47383.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	848281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39841.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	848282  
Old 01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
karolh

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised when it comes time to fly it as I hardly think it will be a beast to fly, but rather a really nice flier. Just my opinion.

Karol
Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
meaden

LOL, I'm sure it'll be a nice flyer. When I said beast I meant it's size. It'll be the largest flyable plane in my hanger. An it's been a bit of a challenge to maneuver it around my small spare bedroom shop while working on it.

I have another of my Grandpa's biplanes that's about the same size but I think it's over all condition doesn't lend itself to rebuilding. I'll probably pull the engine on that one and make it the hanger queen. Use the engine on something else. I'll need to look at it closer.

The biggest beast I have stored away is my Grandpa's 1/3 scale Laser 200, but that's for another thread. I don't remember flying any of his biplanes but I do remember flying the Laser a few times. So I have an idea of the way his large planes flew.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
karolh

Your Grandpa seems to have been the type of grandpa most of us wish we had [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Karol
Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 PM
meaden

Well, disappointing but not surprising. She wouldn't start. We narrowed it down to not getting fire. We tried by passing the switch and grounding the plug to the outside cylinder head see if we could get anything...no spark. The plug is brand new and the same type my Grandpa had in there. Something's gone bad sitting around.

Any ideas?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
meaden

Woohoo!

After some searching and reading on RCU. I cleaned everything well and replaced the wires between the points and the switch.

I got the engine to pop this afternoon! It sounds awesome! And strong at half throttle. I didn't try to tune it I just wanted to know it would run.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Bass1

Excellent!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
meaden

Well, it's to cold (for me) to try to run the engine again today.

Grandpa has been talked about in the third person in this thread. Thought I might let you know who gramps/grandpa was.

Donald "Doc" Eaden. July 22, 1922 - September 25, 2007

He was very involved with KCRC and the 49th Mid-America Jumbo Squadron (http://www.49thsquadron.com/) out at Fleming Park near Kansas City, Mo.

Attached are two photos of gramps in is prime...early-mid 1940's. He built that midget racer! I have more priceless photos but their packed away.

BTY, if anyone out at Fleming Park can tell me if the Don Eaden memorial out house (club joke) is still standing I'd like to know.

Name:	Tq48509.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	852755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30541.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	852756  
Old 01-27-2008, 01:52 PM
meaden

Sorry everyone...again, I haven't abandoned this thread. Between bad weather here and most of my attention focused on a job search I kind'a set the biplane aside. As "aside" as I could get it in my shop!

I pulled the aileron servos today and the new ones should work fine with a little blocking. The mounts my Grandpa had in there aren’t overly large for the new servos.

I also did some research on the engine. I reset the needles to what I could find as "factory" settings an I'll try to run it again tomorrow.

When I got the engine to pop it was only running steady at around half throttle. Up or down and it would quit. Like it was leaning out. Hopefully, resetting the needles will get me in the ball park. I'm not sure if it is having fuel draw problems...or...

The first run was with the 20X10 and 50:1

What do you think of trying the 20x8 and a higher oil content? Again my experience with gas engines is limited. Does oil content effect needle adjustment the way nitro will in a glow engine?

Name:	Sq48339.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	862522  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.