RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding Grandpa's Plane

ORIGINAL: meaden

Well, the switch is mounted and the servos installed. Rather than trying to match the red paint I decided to paint the cockpit interior flat black. Ronnie cleaned up nicely too.

I'm going to work on the linkages and throws this week. I'd like to test run the engine this weekend if the weather is half way decent.

A few questions...

It looks like Grandpa had a 20x10 on it does that sound about right?

I read that the prop should be mounted 90 degrees to the mag. But where should the mags be in relationship to the compression? Before, after, or at the down stroke? I'm guessing this is less critical with the spring starter.

Knowing my Grandpa's thriftiness I'm sure he was using whatever oil he put in his lawn tools. What oil and ratio do you think I should start with considering it hasn't been run in a few years?

Last one...

I have a 6V 1400mah battey I can use. Should I get one with more capacity?

If the engine is fitted with a recoil spring to aid starting, the position of the prop is not critical. I would suggest a 20x8 prop on that engine/model combination for increased thrust rather than speed.

As for oil, use any quality 2 stroke syn. for air cooled engines mixed at 32:1 for the first couple runs after which you can switch to a 40-50:1 mix ratio if you so desire.

Regarding the receiver battery power, a 6v 1400 mAh battery pack will be more than adequate, just make sure that the servos are capable of handling 6volts.

Hope everything goes well with your engine startup as I'm sure your Grandpa will be watching.

Karol