Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-85 not running good!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-85 not running good!!!!

Ok guys I need some help here before I call DA maybe I can figure it out but my DA-85 it's started Stalling on my when I fly upside-down,, I had 4 Dead stick today and it's not fun!!![]

I have the engine since March and I have run 3 Gallons of lawnboy 32:1 so far,, a few weekedns ago when I was flyin it started running weird and it looked like it wanted to die on me,,so I landed it and found the Carburator loose,,the 2 red screws back out all the way and didnt come all the way out becasue they hit on the firewall.

So I took the engine out tie the screws up and today for the first time in like 1 month I went to fly it again,,ohh I reset the needles to factory settings and the engine quit as soon as fliped it over to do an upside-down harrier,, so I ded stick it,,re tuned the needles and I had 4 more flights and all of them dead stick everytime I went upside down and low throttle,,, then on the ground I tested from lean all the way to being rich on bot needles and it was always loding up at idle and quit even on the ground.

So what should I check??? I haven even looked at it since I got back from the field but it was very strange after 3 gallons of running great. I didnt get to fly like I wanted to today!!!![:@]

anyone having this problem???
Old 07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: DA-85 not running good!!!!

i would send in for a look over
Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
dbcaster

If it was running great and now it isn't. I would guess your cylinder base gasket is leaking. As soon as you see raw fuel and oil coming out of the base gasket, it is sucking air into the crank case and it will be impossible to tune.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:43 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

If it (the carb) was run loose it could have shaken around pretty hard. There might be some internal damage like to the metering needle and seat. If you don't know much about gas carbs and don't have all the tools for repair then a trip to DA might be the best bet.
Make sure they know about the carb coming loose. The bolts holding the carb on has to be checked occasionaly for tightness because the gasket will collapse with time and vibration and allow the carb bolts to loosen.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM
charrua

Ok thank you for your reply guys ,,, I was also guessing it something to the carb related but I really dont know much about them,,,it sound very weird like it's bogging for the last few flights then it quit.

On the ground I did a lot of tunning on the engine and didnt change much I could open over 1 turn on the needles and it wouldnt change much.

The carb was loose for just one flight I'm guessing when I noticed the engine bogging I brought the plane down and looking inside I saw the screws backed out all the way out until they touched the firewall. Maybe something got damaged becasue of that it's the only thing I could guess.

I'll call DA on monday and see what they say,,ma good thing it's a DA and I dont even have to worry about not being taken care of!!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
charrua

Ok well the Engine it's off back to DA for fixin,,they Told me if there's somethign wrong with the Carb they will just put a new one they dont bother fixing them and that since they have they will do a few upgrade it need since I have never send it back to them!!!

SWEET!!! got to Love DA!!!!

Cant wait to get it back flying again!!!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious as to the bogging it was doing. I wonder if the plug crapped out.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
charrua

It would load up when flying at low idle and quit,,then o nthe ground if it was too low idle it wolndt stay running and I plaied with the needles with no effect from lean to rich and nothing!!! I think when the carb got loose something happend becasu it started after that before it was awsome!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
crappieflop

My dad was having the same problem with his Brillelle 46, I suggested he check to see if there were any holes in his fuel lines. He took apart his gas tank and found that the clunker fell off the fuel pick-up line, he replaced the fuel line and the clunker and the engine runs perfect. The problem you are having maybe as simple as a hole in the fuel line or or a loose clunker, just a thought.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
charrua

mmm that's makes sence I guess I need too check on that I just went and send the engine in,,but you right I'm gonna have to look at my gas tank setup.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
crappieflop

If there is something wrong with the DA-85 let me know because I plan on using that engine in my new plane, if I have the same problem and it is something wrong with the engine it will save me some time.

Thanks
Jon
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My DA 50 did the same thing. Never could resolve it. Tried everything. Doesn't mean this one is the same. Just my symptoms sounded similar. It haunts me still,,,I hate failing.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
crappieflop

I know what you mean before I went to all gas and giant scale I had an OS 55ax that I flew around 30 times and I never did get it running right. I bought a second OS 55 and it ran great from day one, it's very frustrating when you put so much time and money into an engine or airframe and it turns out to be big dissapointment.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 PM
charrua

I dont think the engine is the problem it run Awsome for 3 Gallons until the carb came loose the it didnt run good anymore.

I have a Da-50 and never had a porblem with it,, good thing about it if there's something wron I know it will be taken care of!!!

Ohh the Da85 it's th way to go if you gonna start your 35% project,, lot cheaper and a 100cc, lighter and lot's of power.

My plane came out at 24 1/2lb with a canister setup on it,,this weight on a 35% it's Super light I think.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
crappieflop

I'm putting the 85 in a Hangar 9 Sukhoi 33%, it should come out around 22 Lbs. I haven't figured out what I will do with the exaust yet but I'm thinking about using a canitser. I wish I had the time and money to finish it right away because i can't wait to fly it.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
charrua

oK it looks like it was the Carb the problem of my engine not running good,,it seems that when the carb got loose it cracked or broke the diaphragm and it created an airleak that was causing my problems,,that what they Guy at DA told me today and they also did some upgrades on the engine that needed to be done I'm not sure what tho!!!
They said they test tun it and it runs great,,I'll be getting it back by the end of this week they shipped it today,,,man what a service I sent it in on Monday they got it thursday and they shipped it out today!!!! AWSOME!!!!!

I'm a happy man again!!!!! I'll be flying this weekend again!!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i would send in for a look over
now we R talking[8D]
Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM
firemedic305
My Feedback: (27)

Just can't beat DA service. Gary
Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 PM
charrua

Ok I got the engine back today,,man what a service I sent the engine last Tuesday and got it today,,10 days since I sent it out!!!!

I already installed it on the plane and test run it a bit ,,itstarted right up, idles awsome and it has a good transiction,,we'll see how it does on the field tomorrow I'm really itching to burn some more fuel on this engine to get used to it and to the plane!!!

AWSOME!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:28 PM
charrua

well I'm unhappy again[:@] it's still doing the same after 4 minutes of the 1st flight of the day another dead stcik after putting the plane upside down at low idel,,it idles great on the ground and flying upright but it quit as soon as I flip it upside down on a harrier.

Today I almost los the plane I had a very hot approach run out of runway and went into some high grass cought the wheel pants and flip the plane upside down,,ugly sight!!! good thing not even a scratch on top or bottom of the plane,,just cracked the wheel pants and bet one side of the Landing gear,,,and somehow something hit the spark plug cable and spark and bent the tip of the plug and sort of broke the cap of the wire,,,so it's back to DA again CRAPPPPPPPPPP!!![:@][:@][:@]

I'm gonna have to redo the tank and see if that's my problem I look it up and everything was fine so now I'm sort of giving up on this!!!!! man I'm so pissed!!!!!!!!!![]
Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 PM
crappieflop

Before you send the motor back go through your entire fuel system, you would be suprised how often these problems are linked to a hole in the fuel lin or even debris in a tube. Just a suggestion. When you have a problem with the fuel system you can usally get the plane to run great on the ground, once you get it in the air and the fuel starts to move around in the tank it's a different story.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM
charrua

[:@]
ORIGINAL: crappieflop

Before you send the motor back go through your entire fuel system, you would be suprised how often these problems are linked to a hole in the fuel lin or even debris in a tube. Just a suggestion. When you have a problem with the fuel system you can usally get the plane to run great on the ground, once you get it in the air and the fuel starts to move around in the tank it's a different story.

I redid he hole fuel system,, I took the cowling out made sure everything was tight,,, and until now I'm still testing it outside and it's very strange I it will run awsome on the ground upright,,, I didnt install the wings so I can pick it up and flip it upside down an when I put the plane upside down it starts to idle sort of weird and when I advance the throttle it quits like it bogs,, I had to stop now but I have my wife holding the radio and giving it throttle and as soon as she move the throttle stick a few click it bogs and quits,,I'm going to do some more test trying to leaning the low neddle and to see if I can get it running good uypside down but I dont think it will be good upright,,this is pissing me off!!!!! I never had this problem with my DA-50
Old 07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
mrbigg

NOTHING worse than an unreliable engine. [:@] Hope you get it figured out.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:36 PM
charrua

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

NOTHING worse than an unreliable engine. [:@] Hope you get it figured out.

GOT IT!!!!!! ok it works good now DA set the needles I guess to run good but I dont think they test with the cylinder head pointing up!!!!,, after about 30 trys the engine kept quiting as soon as my wife advanced the throttle I know that's a sympthom of too lean,,so I started richen it up until it got better and it wont quit anymore advancing the throttle,, I see a lot of smoke tho!!!!! still running 32:1 but it runs good with very good transiction being upright and upside down from idel to full throttle going with the stick sa fast as you can!!!

What a newbie I can't believe it was that, that almost made me crash today!!!!! I still will have to send the ignition back to DA becasue the Spark plug cap got sort of broken a bit and the plastic part inside it,,and I dont want t orisk having interference due to that!!!

Man I quitflying glow for the paoin in the neck it was now I'nm having this issues with Gas[].

Ok I think I'm good again nothing worst than not know what's wrong or why it's not running good,,this is 3 weekends in a raw that I can't fly due to engine problems,,last weekend my brison 2.4 craped out on the H9 1/4 scale cub and I didnt even get to fly it more than 4 minutes,,it's so hard to get better flying 4 minutes a week!!![&o]
Old 07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
mrbigg

Glad you got it fixed.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.