Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:38 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There you have it. Good to hear that HK did cooperate to a certain extent. That's not always the case. Bottom line, if you buy from China, that's where any service you get will be coming from.

I've purchased RCG before (I do all my own work by choice), but pretty sure I would not run that gamble with a twin.

Is there a reason you changed the bearings, other than the fact they were Chinese? Wondering, as that's not something I would not have done just 'cuz. My experience with them not bad. No worse than others anyway.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:16 AM
maxim777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chinese bearings have very poor quality.Crankshaft is not tight in bearings and have backslash. That's why crankcase was scratch inside and crankshaft was broken.After 5 min running I hear something was wrong inside,some noise.Also,I will change original carburetor to Walbro. I am not sure if it will be working properly but I will try.I have own a garage and have experience with hobby engines more than 30 years.I have couple of engines built by myself.I have in my shop cnc lathe.milling, etc.But here is my opinion - this engine (30cc twin) needs some work.All the time I'm polishing pistons (to get rid of the carbon) and also by making them the same weight. Also I balance crankshaft, change piston rings and put quality bearings. But when I did change crankshaft, thread doesn't hold the screws(I put helicoil s/s inside)This engine needs a lot of improvement!.Obviously the quality of original parts is poor.Finally,I will make a reliable engine by spending the same money as the cost of this engine.

Last edited by maxim777; 03-27-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:35 AM
Captmicom

Hi Max,

Yes you got a Chinese copy of the RCGF engine. I do remember sending some 30T parts up to you. I know that the jugs say RCGF on them but it is still a copy and not the real deal. If you need any more help with it let me know.. I run the warehouse and service center here in the USA. We will be in Toledo this coming week end 4-1 to 4-3 for the Weak Signals hobby show. The sad thing is we sell the real 30T for $369.99 and it has a 2 year warrantee return to me for repair. We also ship for free. Sorry for your bad deal...
Old 03-27-2016, 06:05 AM
maxim777

How will I know that the thing you are selling is better quality than I bought already?RCGF service sent me the required parts but delivery cost me twice.For me is cheaper to buy parts from you.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 AM
maxim777

P.S.When I bought this engine in first place you didn't sell it yet .
Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Well of course you had to prove me wrong, but that kinda stuff happens a lot on the internet and you just popped up out of nowhere. Typically people with zero previous posts who are telling others to never buy a product aren't legit. So now, can you give some specifics on your situation? How long have you had the motor, what type of oil and at what ratio do you run? How much experience do you have with gas engines?

For now, the only advice I can give is to NOT by products from HK that you think you may need customer support for. They simply do not have customer support and do not stand behind their products. The only time I buy stuff from them is when I consider the item to be a write off if it breaks or has problems (mostly for my RC trucks/buggies).
Old 03-27-2016, 10:43 AM
maxim777

I have experience with gasoline engines more than 20 years.My first engine was 3W120 twin from Germany.I use only this oil many years.(Klotz rc synthetic)I didn't say HK didn't provide warranty service,I mean RCGF company.They did finally send me a new parts but it cost a lot of money.Sent them broken parts and pay shipping back.Maybe it is a different quality from RCGF USA and Hobby King HK but I don't see any different yet.Parts looks the same.When I did change the crankshaft(checked the balance-OK)I changed bearings SKF,new piston rings Caber(from Italy),polishing pistons and cylinders engine works OK.But after 5 min run Carburetor Heat Block insulator was creaked and Ignition stop to work on 1 cylinder. Totally to make this engine work well I have to spend extra 300-400$.Don't you think it doesn't make sense?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-27-03-16-02-23.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	2154495  
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 AM
maxim777

P.S.I already bought the parts from RCGF USA aprox.300$.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Max, just guessing, but after reading your notes, thinking you may have received an early engine. A prototype, built prior to many lessons learned since. As popular as the small twins are today, it's difficult to believe problems like you are experiencing are typical. Pretty easy to see why you might be frustrated with that engine. I'm afraid I'd have called it quits when faced with buying a crankshaft....

Best of luck with it. -Al
Old 03-27-2016, 04:13 PM
the pope

I would have sent it back and let them deal with it . Thats what warranty is for . They may have credited your account . Now days unless Im after a cheap asp 2 stroke my big buys come from the regular hobby avenues . H.K. is great for the smaller type purchases , I have bought some larger planes VQ stik what a hunk of junk but thats VQ and not H.K. and my bad ! Now I wont get bigger planes from them . Now with shipping its not worth it , OS engines are cheaper here in Aus and with the asp 4 strokes costing more and more if I want a 4 stroke Ill spring for a OS or saito instead . Cheers
Old 03-27-2016, 07:22 PM
mach2

He still hasn't said how long he had the motor before he had issues. Maybe warranty was expired.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Bcolici

Wish i would of known that the warehouse was closed from th 27th to the 8th. Found this out when i called.
Ordered some parts for my 10cc on the 29th,order is still processing.
Damn solder joint on my ele servo or rather lack of. On maiden non the less.
The 10cc ran like a champ pulling my Matt Chapman Eagle around, flew great till the servo was on and off on,off.
Im soo pdd off.
Repairable but shouldnt of happened.
Fml
Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but having been at the Toledo show I can under stand why he is taking a bit of time to unwind, Great show and some good deals but not as many venders as in past years but a lot depended on what you were looking for.

Well I have to say after dealing with Joe via Phone and E- mails with all good success and then getting to meet him by an engine, talk a bit, he is one of the best venders I have ever dealt with and I and my buddies have been going to the show foe 30 + years

Now I have to get my but in gear and get my new bird finished for the new engine.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-06-2016, 05:22 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vendors require time to pack for the Show, and time to travel. They also need time to pack and travel, when they return home. It's not uncommon for them to suspend operations during this time. I've noticed that several operate in this manner.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Captmicom

Hi Max "D",

Just got back.. Will try to send your order out tomorrow….. Joe
Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Captmicom

Hi Max,

Sorry for not responding sooner I have been at the Toledo Hobby show and just got back.

OK? Let me see… Did you buy your 30T over 3 years ago? I have been selling them for over 3 now from their release. I can't speak to what you were given by service in China… As for the quality of my RCGF engine products, the quality is very high, but what would it matter. By that I mean you bought your engine out of China and paid about the same price plus shipping as my engine would cost and it DOES NOT come with a warrantee of any kind. My 30T sales for about the same price as the China engine but it comes with free shipping and a 2 year warrantee. If it has any problems at all I am the guy you talk to. Remember that for your next engine because I an always happy to help my customers. I will send your new parts out on Friday 4-8-16 as I need to go to the post office to ship them to you.

Kind Regards,

Joe
Old 04-08-2016, 12:12 AM
the pope

What is the deal with the rcg and some of the rcgf H.K. engines ? One would think it would be in their best interest to jump all over those clones . Are they happy to get rid of substandard parts but that would wouldnt explain the rcg name , if they are a different spec. they would still carry the rcgf name . Or are the different factories that make parts for rcgf using molds etc and pumping out parts to a lesser tolerance ? I agree for a little extra $ if any your better off going through your local agent . Cheers
Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 AM
B-Squared

Originally Posted by rt3232
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but having been at the Toledo show I can under stand why he is taking a bit of time to unwind, Great show and some good deals but not as many venders as in past years but a lot depended on what you were looking for.

Well I have to say after dealing with Joe via Phone and E- mails with all good success and then getting to meet him by an engine, talk a bit, he is one of the best venders I have ever dealt with and I and my buddies have been going to the show foe 30 + years

Now I have to get my but in gear and get my new bird finished for the new engine.

Cheers Bob T
I completely agree with Bob. Joe is a very knowledgeable and helpful representative. I had a problem with a RCGF a while ago (an engine I didn't buy from him) and he went above and beyond to get the problem corrected. Spent some time with him at Toledo as well. He and his wife are as nice in person as they are on the phone. RCGF is fortunate to have them.

I own two RCGF 60cc engines, one is in an SBach an the the other is going to power a Byron mustang. Powerful, great running engines at a reasonable price. Just my 2 cents.

Bruce
Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Bcolici

Thank you captmicom.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Captmicom

It is not the US. They do not do things in China the same as we do here… Hey we go them to drop the "F"...
Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Captmicom
It is not the US. They do not do things in China the same as we do here… Hey we go them to drop the "F"...
???
Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 AM
mach2

I think what he's talking about is how there are no copyright laws in China. So basically someone can actually get their hands on casts and actual parts (by buying from a "subcontractor" whom the creator/designer used to make certain parts...often times these parts were not to spec or did not meet the quality standards of the original company) and build and exact copy of your product and there's nothing the creator of the original can do about it. They can even sell the copycat as an original product, even though it's a completely different company....using sub part components.

Also, it seems as though they got hobby king to stop calling their engines RCGF, so now they advertise them as RCG.

That's just my understanding, so I could be totally wrong.

Last edited by mach2; 04-09-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:27 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay Joe sent you a P M about the ign module .

With a space problem will mounting it on H/D Velcro be enough vib protection

cheers Bob T
Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM
kerwin50

If you would of bought that engine from RCGF USA you could of just sent the whole engine in and had it up an flying by now.AND under warranty. Buyer beware when buying from HK
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM
mach2

I think he got the hard lesson on that one, but the hardest learned lessons are the ones we don't forget. At least in my experience. Hopefully he hasn't been turned off from RCGF engines because of Hobby King!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.