Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

choke servo or optical kill

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
rotccapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choke servo or optical kill

i am about to dive into my first 50cc plane it will be a wild hare extra 260 with a dle 55 and a spectrum dx7 they way i have calculated i will have 1 extra channel for either a choke servo or an optical kill switch which is better i think the kill switch but just thought i would ask
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: choke servo or optical kill

I use the 42% optical on my Extra with a DL50. I love the opto. It works instantly, has never had a glitch, company service policy is second to none-and it is much easier to mount than a servo, is lighter, uses less battery and requires no adjustment.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to have one of the two and could only choose one, I'd go with the choke servo. It's a multi tasker, it'll help you get it going and it'll help you stop it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: jedijody

If I had to have one of the two and could only choose one, I'd go with the choke servo. It's a multi tasker, it'll help you get it going and it'll help you stop it.
Well said! I vote for the choke.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of the above.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:14 AM
liquid_TR

Neither
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 AM
bjor

ORIGINAL: rotccapt

i am about to dive into my first 50cc plane it will be a wild hare extra 260 with a dle 55 and a spectrum dx7 they way i have calculated i will have o extra channel for either a choke servo or an optical kill switch which is better i think the kill switch but just thought i would ask
I run a choke servo in my extra 300 with DL50. I use an AR7000 and have it running off my gear switch. I like it because it serves two functions, flick the prop till it pops then flick the gear switch to start - or to kill the engine. I really like the additional idea of being able to kill the engine remotely - so either will serve your purpose just as effectivly.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 AM
rotccapt

thanks for the input i do like the multi purpus of the choke so i may go that route
Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Neither
Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should ALWAYS set up your throttle linkage so that with the stick and the trim all the way down it will kill the engine. Just like a glow engine.

Throttle down + trim down = dead engine.

Thats the FIRST and BEST way to shut down an engine IMHO. If you choose to use anything more than that........ good for you. Fly safe. But setting up your throttle linkage as I described is RC Airplanes Chapter 1. It's a basic safety issue and should be set up properly on all powered models.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 PM
bjor

I witnessed a gas plane take off once, and lose throttle control on take off. The plane stayed at 3/4 throttle for over 25 minutes before crashing to the ground with battery failure. Sometimes you need to witness unexpected events like this to appreciate what a second kill option will give you. Personally, I think it's irrisponsible to not have a second kill option on a + 7kg missile, but each to their own I guess.
Good for me
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

optical all the way
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was flying my 50cc Yak last summer when suddenly about half way into the flight I couldn't reduce the throttle below about 3500 rpm on my Brison 3.2.[X(] Flew around for several more minutes and set up a nice long straight in approach and about 60 feet out from the runway threshold I hit my servo activated ignition battery kill switch. Came in for a nice soft and safe power off landing. Upon thorough post flight inspection (removed the carb) I found the little screw holding the throttle butterfly in the carb had backed out a turn or so causing the butterfly to rattle around and bang against the carb throat and bent and smashed the edges of it causing my unexpected in flight emergency. I'm glad I had the alternate engine kill as it was my 4th flight of the day on the initial charge and my receiver battery was just about out of juice.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Bass1

I was flying my 50cc Yak last summer when suddenly about half way into the flight I couldn't reduce the throttle below about 3500 rpm on my Brison 3.2.[X(] Flew around for several more minutes and set up a nice long straight in approach and about 60 feet out from the runway threshold I hit my servo activated ignition battery kill switch. Came in for a nice soft and safe power off landing. Upon thorough post flight inspection (removed the carb) I found the little screw holding the throttle butterfly in the carb had backed out a turn or so causing the butterfly to rattle around and bang against the carb throat and bent and smashed the edges of it causing my unexpected in flight emergency. I'm glad I had the alternate engine kill as it was my 4th flight of the day on the initial charge and my receiver battery was just about out of juice.

I had something similar happen, I just flipped the choke switch killing the motor.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jedijody

I also agree. All my gassers are set up that way. I laugh at the guys fumbling around trying to find the choke.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 AM
rodney tanner

Optical kill switch. Peace of mind, if nothing else.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 AM
liquid_TR

Well, If its experience that counts, how about a EF 50cc YAK hovering 2 feet off the ground, became rubble after the pilot accidentally touched the optic kill switch..
Or another one with choke servo accidentally hit the switch to kill the motor midair, eventually ripping off the landing gear?

If a throttle servo connection is setup the way it should be, no vibration or engine pulse or whatever wont damage & fatigue the throttle servo. thats my opinion
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 AM
bjor

ORIGINAL: liquid_TR

Well, If its experience that counts, how about a EF 50cc YAK hovering 2 feet off the ground, became rubble after the pilot accidentally touched the optic kill switch..
Or another one with choke servo accidentally hit the switch to kill the motor midair, eventually ripping off the landing gear?

If a throttle servo connection is setup the way it should be, no vibration or engine pulse or whatever wont damage & fatigue the throttle servo. thats my opinion
I'm struggling to fathom the part of an experienced pilot "accidently" touching the optic kill switch or that really big switch called "landing gear". Based on your "experience" - whats happens if you "accidently" trim the engine and it dies. If that happens, that's not experience is it - thats dumb thumbs.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: liquid_TR

I would call that a lack of experience, if you can't handle the adreneline, fly at a higher altitude. I typically don't use either a kill switch or choke servo but not because my fingers are flailing about my radio hitting things they shouldn't. With your logic one might think they shouldn't use elevator servos because he tends to give it to much input at inopportune times.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: bjor

I'm struggling to fathom the part of an experienced pilot "accidently" touching the optic kill switch or that really big switch called "landing gear". Based on your "experience" - whats happens if you "accidently" trim the engine and it dies. If that happens, that's not experience is it - thats dumb thumbs.
Exactly!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
rotccapt

i always set up my linkage to kill the engine with throttle but i have had a few flights with glow that i wished i could have killed the engine so from what i have gathered here it is a toss up both will have the prefered respones so i think i am going to go with the choke thanks for the replies
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
arobatx

You can certainly be redundant on this topic, just as about any other setup preferences. Do you HAVE to? No. Do some believe you should be able to kill your engine with throttle trim, servo operated choke AND either a servo operated or fiber optic kill switch? Yeah... The redundancy can add additional points of failure, and perhaps in some cases, allow the modeler to avoid setting up any ONE way to kill the engine robustly.

Just take your time, setup your throttle correctly, with appropriate full range functionality, including shutting down the engine. And from there, adding any one other way to kill the engine should be sufficient, for piece of mind. Lately I have tended to go the route of a servo operated choke, due to several rear induction installations where manually choking is not nearly convenient.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a choke servo most of the time. I have back problems and I don't want to roll around on the ground fumbling for a choke lever.

That gives me 2 ways to kill my engine in the air. I can pull throttle and trim all the way back and that should kill it. If something is wrong and that won't kill it, I can flip the choke switch on my TX and kill it.

I think we should all have at least 1 way to shut down while airborne.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Well, I wasn't going to post in this one, since my thoughts/advice are clearly in the "Newbie to Gassers" sticky thread....but....after reading this one....

It is beyond foolhardy to ** NOT ** have some method that can kill that whirling meat cleaver if the throttle servo dies, comes loose, falls off, disconnects, breaks, etc.....absolutely FOOLHARDY.

The whole idea of a SECOND "remotely-operated" kill is to enable one to "save" the airplane (and everyone else's property, etc.) in case that throttle stick doesn't do the job. THAT is the whole purpose!!!

Whether or not it's a choke servo, electro optical, servo-operated mechanical switch, or an on-board self-destruct device.... PLEASE, PLEASE use *** SOMETHING *** that you can operate from your transmitter to kill that sucker.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
GBR2

I use the RCATS RC100 relay switch. Simpler to install and haven't had a problem with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.