Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

A Stick that big would be awsome. You'll need a hangar for it.

The only engine I know of that SAP should be close to fielding is the 60cc twin. Two of those would be cool on the Stick.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

The only engine I know of that SAP should be close to fielding is the 60cc twin. Two of those would be cool on the Stick.
Slick, not Stick... here's a pic of the ARF:
Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Way cool, but how's about Ben and Jesky coming out with a 2-meter Osiris for the 30cc Syssa?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Way cool, but how's about Ben and Jesky coming out with a 2-meter Osiris for the 30cc Syssa?
That would be cool, but I don't have the room in my hanger... lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40193.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1551373  
Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Joystick TX

Holy cow, that is one big model! Way better lookingthan a Stick.

You could almost give rides in that one.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
50%plane

Holy cow, that is one big model! Way better looking than a Stick.

You could almost give rides in that one.
Almost! lol...

A nice Syssa 190 would be the bees knees near the end of 2011!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I am in for one and a big AJSlick! Todd's engines are in the DA class, and there are no better planes than 3DHS.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

I am in for one and a big AJSlick! Todd's engines are in the DA class, and there are no better planes than 3DHS.
Honestly, I like my little Syssa better than my DA's... lol

Todd, please come out with a nice 170-220cc engine soon!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
ghoffman

Honestly, so far, my Syssa runs better than my DA-60, but that is not fair since it has been Winter around here since I got the -60. I don't even mind being a Beta site, Todd is close by and a good guy. Now, give me the new Walbro electronic fuel injection, and you have access to my checkbook!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know what sizes the large twins are that Todd is bringing out? I know he mentioned a large single to me at the Nall... I am looking for a 170-220cc twin for my 126'' Slick....
I think that's right in the range. Sounds right.

~ Jim ~
Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Thinking of picking one of these up.. What kind of lead time are you looking at, are you backed up, or have them ready to ship?

I was thinking of putting one in a ESM P-51, looks like it would fit right in there with the rear mounted carb and exhaust. has anyone tried this combo yet, did a search and came up empty...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 PM
ScaleRules

Hi everyone..EH!

I just picked up one of these engines from a friend of mine who could do nothing but rave about it. He buys two of everything and I convionced him to sell me his spare to get away from buying a DLE.

The engine has only been factory run. I don't want to sift through 147 pages of threads so can someone recomend a breakin prop and the oil mixture as the motor did not come with a manual.

Thanx in advance.

This little puppy is destined to be in a 75" Extra MSX-R from Peak Models.

Regards,
Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
JohnB96041

Get the Vess 18 x 6 or Vess 18.5 x 5.5. I get mine from Todd at SASSA Aircraft Performance. Send email to [email protected].
I am using the 18.5 x 5.5 and love it. Mine is installed in the Funtana 125.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Joystick TX

Jim,

If you go to the Syssa website you can download the manual:

http://www.syssaaircraft.net/sap.html

I just got in some last minute flying today before the winter storm hits tomorrow. No more flying for a few days. I hate this bitter cold winter, come on spring.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
montagma

Totally confused!!  I just got one of these bad boys with the IBE.  I don't understand how this setup looks in terms of wiring.  

Does the battery connect to the IBE, then the IBE to the Electronic ignition, then the electronic ignition to the receiver?  

If this is the case, I should be using the same amount of receiver channels I had with my Nitro setup?  

I have a 7Channel Futaba system with all channels spoken for: 1:ELEVATOR(1), 2:Aileron(1), 3:Throttle, 4:Rudder, 5:ELEVATOR(2), 6:Aileron(2), 7: Power.   

Will I be able to program an ignition cutoff through this configuration in Channel 7?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: montagma

Totally confused!! I just got one of these bad boys with the IBE. I don't understand how this setup looks in terms of wiring.

Does the battery connect to the IBE, then the IBE to the Electronic ignition, then the electronic ignition to the receiver?

If this is the case, I should be using the same amount of receiver channels I had with my Nitro setup?

I have a 7Channel Futaba system with all channels spoken for: 1:ELEVATOR(1), 2:Aileron(1), 3:Throttle, 4:Rudder, 5:ELEVATOR(2), 6:Aileron(2), 7: Power.

Will I be able to program an ignition cutoff through this configuration in Channel 7?

Thanks in advance!
No, no....a second battery or switch are not used with the IBEC. Set the radio up the standard way.
Then....Plug the IBEC lead (marked RX) into a spare channel in the RX, like Retracts. The IBEC is basically a remote switch to your CDI, that you conveniently and safely switch on-off by the TX Retract channel.
Then....Plug the IBEC lead (marked ignition or CDI) to the CDI plug (marked battery)
Then....Plug the CDI lead (marked engine) to the engine lead

When you activate Retracts, it powers up the IBEC and the LED light comes on; the IBEC then powers the CDI. That's it. Make sure you have enough airborne battery capacity. I use a 1780 mah battery and get about 70 minutes total running time on 7 digital servos plus ignition

Make sure you wrap the spark wire with the larger spiral cut tube (anti-chafing) and the wire lead with the smaller. I secure the ends of the spiral cut tube with rubber electrical tape, the type you stretch and wrap over itself to seal

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Joystick TX

I only have a6 Channel Futaba TX and RX.Where your RXhas Ch 7: power, I have"B" forpower.

Iuse a "Y" connector for the Right and Left Elevator servos. The IBE plugs into the Ch 5 slot on theRX and I use the Ch 5 switch on the TX to turn the ignition on and off.The Ignition module plugs into the IBE. I love the LED to let me know the ignition is "HOT." Also,I get flaperonswith Ch's 1 and 6.

My setup is: 1: Right Aileron, 2: Elevator, 3: Throttle, 4: Rudder, 5: IBE, 6: Left Aileron, B=power

Sure seems like you should have an extra slot with the 7 channel receiver. I'm confused too.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
montagma

Thanks MTK. Totally makes sense now! Could I still have a switch between my battery and the IBE so I can turn the system on/off?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 AM
cmoulder

Thanks MTK. Totally makes sense now! Could I still have a switch between my battery and the IBE so I can turn the system on/off?
You don't need a separate mechanical switch for the IBEC. The IBEC is activated with your retract switch (or whatever switch you assign) on your TX. So it powers your ignition and is also an optical kill switch. If you fly at a field that requires an external mechanical kill switch, you already have one - your main Rx switch. When the Rx is turned off the ignition is also turned off.

As Matt indicated, your RX battery powers everything. For a pattern plane, I decided to use 1 Rx battery (2600mAh Li-ion) and a failsafe switch (fail ON), and this model now has more than 300 flights on it with no issues and flawless performance from the IBEC (Tech-Aero IBEC).

However, with this kind of set-up all your eggs are in one basket so you have to keep a close eye on the basket. Be very cognizant of your battery's draw (about 150-200mAh per flight for both servos and ignition, YMMV) and use a load-testing volt meter (like the one from NoBS Batteries) that will give you plenty of warning of a battery that is failing and dropping voltage under load. And use the battery checker often. It has saved a couple of models for me.

If you are flying a larger model and want some redundancy, that's when you want an extra RX battery and switch for the receiver. The extra battery and switch should plug into a separate channel on the receiver and be totally independent from the first battery and switch. If you're short on slots on your receiver, you can use a Y harness to plug the extra Rx battery and IBEC into one slot.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no point in having an extra switch between the RX (which is the airborne battery, in essence) and IBEC. The IBEC is a semi- automatic switch, switchable by TX command. BTW, Switching the IBEC on or off doesn't affect the servos in any way.

Think of the IBEC as an extra servo that you command the same as any other servo. Except this particular "servo" powers the CDI unit and allows the engine to run.

As Bob mentioned, the IBEC is optically isolated from the RX which gives a good measure of radio safety. It is also highly filtered device to kill any spurious radio frequency interference from getting back into the RX from the CDI spark generated noise.

Nevertheless, it's a good idea to keep wiring from the RX to the IBEC and from the IBEC to the CDI as straight as practical within your airframe, and keep the CDI unit away from your RX as is practical. These are musts when operating high voltage CDI systems

Before you commit to the first flight, I strongly recommend that you have a buddy hold the plane with the engine running and do a thorough range check with antenna collapsed (on 72 MHz) or with the range button pushed in (2.4 gig systems). Range should exceed 100 steps

Let me add a little to what Bob mentioned on airborne batteries. The IBEC is factory set (regulated) to send 5.5 volts to the CDI. If you are using a 4 cell NiMH battery (4.8 volts nominal and about 5.6 volts when fully charged), the systems will work okay for a little while but the margin is much lower.

As the voltage drops to 5 volts and below, less voltage will be delivered to the CDI. CDI's operate well at voltage as low as 4 volts so you're okay for a little while, but lower than that you will get erratic running and your servos will jump all over the place. Don't ask how I know

For this reason we use 5 cell NiMH minimum (6 V nominal and 6.6 V fully charged) or Li-ion /LiPO regulated to around 6-6.2 volts. We check the airborne battery voltage every other flight to make sure we operate safely. This is a great practice to get into to eliminate hassles

Note that the 6.2 volt potential of the airborne system is regulated down by the IBEC to 5.5 volts, which is what the CDI sees. The CDI is happy happy at that voltage

Hopefully this all makes sense. If something doesn't, ask questions here-in. Collectively we have several 100 hours of operation on these IBEC set-ups and we can help
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
ghoffman

I flew the Syssa IBEC in very cold weather Sunday on a DLE-20 powered Ultra Stick. I have 4 of them and they have been flawless so far.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
50%plane

What is that white stuff everywhere?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Sand. Very, very cold sand. You're looking at some diehard flyers here, folks. I still remember doing this, and the aching in my fingers returns just from thinking about it.

~ Jim ~
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
ghoffman

I was told that around here you had better learn to fly in wind and in cold, otherwise you won't get much stick time. The point is, the Syssa IBEC is unaffected by sub freezing weather.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I'm from Bangor, north of you. My friends say they work up there too.

~ Jim ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.