Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE30!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:59 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE30!

The stock rings are hard and take forever to break in.

Bill was probably seeing chipped edges?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i fly with Don and Grover at the Willard field.they said it was to much trouble just to get past the guards at NASA, they are always coming up with new rules every time they try to get in. the hours are one to five o-clock and a special past to get you to fly till dusk.plus a back round check before you are allowed past the gates.
but i guess this is to be expected when you deal with this great government we have in place now.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captinjohn & TOM,
I have been out of this forum and all others for some time but I could not resist a reply to you both. I decided to get caught back up on this forum and have been doing some reading. About 40 pages back you guys were discussing what a "Shovel Head" was/is. Well...I have to rib both you guys. I have to admit that the bone stock 1957 HD panhead was a jewel but you have to be a real motorhead to love the 47 "knuckle head" let alone get it to run good. On a hot humid summer night it was really cool to stand back with a cold brew and watch the old knuckle head set at an idle and throw off ignition sparks (comparable to that of a 4th of July fireworks show) hop on it and ride it home knowing that all that voltage was running through your body ( along with everything else you took in that night!)!

I know this is off subject but I could not resist. Just like the old Harleys and model engines...there is no such thing as perfection...at least not on this earth. You gotta put some TLC along with patience and knowledge in there to make it run good.

Not being able to remember some of my past is a good thing but some things you never forget!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 AM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Ok, below is what BCCHI said in his post, It looks like there maybe a problem with the rings wearing out too quickly or not seating properly. He even says he has a 30 that has poor compression. read below.

The ring we took out looked like crap under a mag glass.I am flying one 30 that has pretty poor compression not much time on this one

I was REALLY hoping by now most if any bugs were worked out of the dle 30 engine. I got Burned SSOOOOO bad on my first one, that now I am gun shy about buying another one.

You w8ye are somebody I trust, and you posted a question as to maybe the ring had chipped edges. What would cause the chipped edges?

I have read so much about how the 30 engine has so much power. That I would like to put one on one of my planes I am using to learn 3d on.

Can anybody suggest a good reliable 30cc engine? Just pm me. Thanks to all!!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll say it again. None of the Chinese engines have good rings, they are much too hard. They don't wear out. The problem is they don't seat and break in. Since they do not break in you do not achieve the level of compression the engine should have.

BCCHI did not state his rings were worn out, just not seated. That was the reason for the change to the Bowman ring, a subject that has been covered numerous time in this thread.

It does not matter what Chinese engine you buy. The size or manufacturer name has no relevance. The rings suck, period. I would not expect DLE to move any faster, or at all, in this area than any of the other manufacturers. The point thta so many fail to comprehend is they are not paying for a great engine, only a good one. A great engine costs more and if they want further improvemnts in these little modified weed eater engines they should expect to pay more. If people wanted super quality they would have bought Zenoah or 3w and paid more. They wanted price and expected to get the best for less. It doesn't work that way.

If you want max compression quickly, spring a few dollars for a Bowman ring. If you are not in a hurry, burn a lot of gas and the ring will eventually seat. It's that simple. There is NOTHING wrong with a DLE 30. Period, end of story, enough complaining about the matter. What there is a problem with is a lack of engine knowledge by a large percentage of the users.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
w8ye

I don't have a DLE-30 so I'm not really the authority on this engine. I was just summing up in my mind what I've read in these threads the last couple years.

Every one has been saying the OEM rings are hard and take a long time to fully seat. I would figure that there are inconsistances in the product and some people's engines are just fine.

Frank Bowman has an excellent reputation for making rings so it is only natural that a lot of people would be wanting to put his rings in their engines.

If you want better quality, there's another thread about an engine this size but to listen to the good music, you are going to have to pay a $100 more for this other engine.

There are many people very well pleased with the DLE30. They make good power. BCCHI has a half dozen of them. If he didn't like the engine he would be lucky to have one. He and his friend, TKG, are some of the more authoritative engine people in this forum.

Everyone you can think of sells DLE's so there are many other people impressed with the engine also.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
yearnin to Fly

I don't have a DLE-30 so I'm not really the authority on this engine. I was just summing up in my mind what I've read in these threads the last couple years.

Every one has been saying the OEM rings are hard and take a long time to fully seat. I would figure that there are inconsistances in the product and some people's engines are just fine.

Frank Bowman has an excellent reputation for making rings so it is only natural that a lot of people would be wanting to put his rings in their engines.

If you want better quality, there's another thread about an engine this size but to listen to the good music, you are going to have to pay a $100 more for this other engine.

There are many people very well pleased with the DLE30. They make good power. BCCHI has a half dozen of them. If he didn't like the engine he would be lucky to have one. He and his friend, TKG, are some of the more authoritative engine people in this forum.

Everyone you can think of sells DLE's so there are many other people impressed with the engine also.
I admit as I read about the new V2 with the rear carb, I really want to buy one. But once burned you learn to do the research and find out what you can before you buy.

My thoughts are that I buy one and change out any low grade parts before I even start the engine the first time.

I see nothing wrong with doing any upgrades. I just want to build up a plane and go PLAY!!! Not work on it.

So I am looking for ideas as to what parts to order when I buy the engine.

Thanks for the help and Ideas.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Tired Old Man

In which case you buy a Zenoah or 3w. The 3w has more power than the DLE 30 but you're going to pay a lot extra for only a little difference. One cost a lot more than the other and the lowest priced of the pair costs more than a DLE. The other option is Syssa and it does not have a long use history yet either. The longest history of the better Chinese 30cc class engines is the DLE.

One has to decide on the relative importance of various factors.
1) Cost
2) Weight
3) Power
4) Reliability
5) Ease of use
6) Customer support
7) Life cycle

The order of those factors determines what is purchased, and what it costs. There are no free rides.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

everytime I read posts like this debating the reliability etc I try to ferret out the bs from the commonsense stuff.I have talked and talked about buying a 30cc motor and the dle30 seems to be the flavor of the month and to be certain there are a few others in the 30cc range most made in china.but for all the bs everyone seems to be enjoying the performance and I dearly want to try it .I did have a 3w back when and Da's are very good quality ..just out too much in my budget.

where I buy my engine will be based on service,I see them out there for lo prices but I want to buy from a guy that says if it doesnt work I'll fix it.for me with 2 left thumbs I need a company that warranties it stuff. yeah I;ll pay a bit more but I know I have a place to go to if theres a problem..
Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gasrchobbyengines

Ok, below is what BCCHI said in his post, It looks like there maybe a problem with the rings wearing out too quickly or not seating properly. He even says he has a 30 that has poor compression. read below.

The ring we took out looked like crap under a mag glass.I am flying one 30 that has pretty poor compression not much time on this one<hr />

I was REALLY hoping by now most if any bugs were worked out of the dle 30 engine. I got Burned SSOOOOO bad on my first one, that now I am gun shy about buying another one.

You w8ye are somebody I trust, and you posted a question as to maybe the ring had chipped edges. What would cause the chipped edges?

I have read so much about how the 30 engine has so much power. That I would like to put one on one of my planes I am using to learn 3d on.

<hr />The way your post came through...what one person said & what you said kinda ran together so I placed a line in between.<hr />Now there is nothing wrong with the DLE30 except that somerings are too hard & do not break in good. It takes a lot of time, so I want a Bowman ring for faster break-in and I think in the long run a ring that seats in fast is going to be much more easy on the cylinder and less wear will take place.
Now you say you got burnt on a engine...was it a DLE? & what is the story on that engine. Thanks Capt,n
Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
kgeb

Terry at C&H Ign. sent a P&C to me for rings, I now have them in stock, $10 ea. $14 for (1) shipped, $24 for 2 shipped. Discount of $1 off per ring on orders of 10 or more mixed brands & sizes fine. Take care, Frank

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...#ixzz0sBMKFyYM

Frank C. Bowman

This is a post stating his rings are $14 shipped.
If someone is that worried about the dle rings, throw a set of the Bowman rings in and smile!
I agree with T.O.M. there is nothing wrong with these engines. If you want it to break in faster, spend your $14 more, a half hour in time and fly it!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

The ring we took out looked like crap under a mag glass.I am flying one 30 that has pretty poor compression not much time on this one<hr />

<hr />The way your post came through...what one person said & what you said kinda ran together so I placed a line in between.<hr />Now there is nothing wrong with the DLE30 except that some rings are too hard & do not break in good. It takes a lot of time, so I want a Bowman ring for faster break-in and I think in the long run a ring that seats in fast is going to be much more easy on the cylinder and less wear will take place.
Now you say you got burnt on a engine...was it a DLE? & what is the story on that engine. Thanks Capt,n
Hi capt,n and thanks for the info. I have some very good freinds on here that have sent me PM's and given me all the info I need to do the needed upgrades on the engine I am going to buy. And by the way thanks for the info on the ring, You and others are very helpful. And I am grateful for your help.
I have been selling gas engines for awhile now and have learned alot. But I am learning the value of buying a good engine and then doing any desired upgrades, like the bowman ring you mentioned, before I even put an engine on the stand and run it the first time.
As far as the first dle 30 I bought that I had problems with, I am done with even talking about it. Please forgive me cap, I just am tired of all the bs that gets started.
All I want is to get a 30cc engine set up and GO HAVE FUN!!

Thanks to everyone who has sent me pm's May God bless you all!!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
w8ye

DLE rings are $4.99 from Tower

But I'm a Bowman guy.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
captinjohn

too: gasrchobby engines
I found this post of yours and cannot understand how you a engine man got burnt? Below the line is your posting
<hr />
Good afternoon,
As most of you know, I sell the RCGF line of engines out of my shop in Mascoutah Illinois, and here on RCU.

I buy my engines for resale, from A very good and honest man by the name of Jim, His company name is Agape racing. He is one of the most honest Guys I know and one of the few I trust.

The RCGF engines I buy from Jim at Agape racing, have a higher quality becouse Jim has spent the extra money and time to replace the ignition that comes with the engine, and updates it to the MUCH higher quality Rcexl ignition. So long story short, When I get a batch of RCGF engines to sell, I know that they are about the best they can be.

That being said, I own and run several RCGF engines, including a 15cc, a 50cc, a 26cc, and soon more.

I have personally, ran each engine on the 6 volt 2300 Mil, batteries made by tenergy that I buy from Jim.

I have never noticed a difference in performance or RPMs, when I would run the engines on my test break in bench, that has all 4.8 volt batteries on it, and moved them to a plane that I have a 6 volt tenergy battery on.

I use the 6 volt tenergy batteries on almost ALL my planes to run the servos and the engine electronic ignitions. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF PROBLEM RELATED TO USING A 6 volt battery to run the Rcexl ignitions, that Jim sells with the RCGF engines I buy from him to resell.

I have had problems with using a 6 volt battery on the CRRC-pro engines I sell. I tried a 6 volt battery on my Katana 26cc profile plane and the ignition started acting up and then failed.

I replaced the ignition, installed a JR 4.8 volt 2300 mil battery on the plane and have been flying it ever since with no issues.

As far as warranties go, Jim has been very supportive of the products We sell and stands by the 2 year warranty that goes with the RCGF engine line we sell and the Rcexl ignitions that come with them. The ignitions have a 2 year warranty on them PERIOD.

If anyone has any questions about the RCGF line of engines or help setting them up, just call me, You will find I enjoy being able to help.

You can also send me a pm, or an email and I will call you.

A1 computer Repair /Gas RC Hobby engines, When you go GAS all you have to do is FLIP and FLY!!

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9481727/anchors_9781900/mpage_9/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9781900#ixzz0sBRDvjLs
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM
gibatta

w8ye

Could you please specify the Bowman part Number of the ring?

Thank you

Gary
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

[email protected] is the best way to contact Mr Bowman and get a list of rings and prices.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

What timing Richard. I just finished ordering 10 rings from him.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: gibatta

w8ye

Could you please specify the Bowman part Number of the ring?

Thank you

Gary
Just tell him what engine you want a ring for

Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Tired Old Man

I'd be very surprised if Jody has not already shipped jugs off to Frank for all the DLE engines. Having a selection on hand would be a good business move.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
captinjohn

Tom...you read my thoughts....I hope it happens. Capt,n
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Yes Frank has rings for the 50/100, 55/111/222, and the 30. I just ordered rings for my 30, 55's and 111's.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
bcchi

The ring we took out looked like crap under a mag glass.I am flying one 30 that has pretty poor compression not much time on this one

the edges of the ring were not chipped.There was no tool marks on the ring like it was fully broken in.The metal in the ring just looked bad. Not fitting the c yl good either.The ring almost looked like it was cast,which I doub't.But there should have been tool marks on it someplace.I bought this engine from Ralph C. I do not no how much it had been run,I do not think very much. It is the one he put the rear carb on.I think the DL 30 is a great engine.I have three I am flying and they all have good compression and getting better.I have not had the cyl off any of the three. If it ain't broke don't fix it.I have three more DL 30s and planes for two of them just need more time.The Bowman ring is beautiful though. I will get some more of them from Frank I had four,all gone.It has half the end gap of the DL ring.Maybe just got one DL 30 with a poor ring Stuff happens.
Going to Billings MT tomorrow for a heart cath and leg angeo.Then look forward for a leg surgery to replace complete artery with Gortex.
Wish me luck.Getting old sucks.
Grumpy no two BCCHI
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
w8ye

Bill, Good luck with the medical procedure. Our thoughts will be with you -Jim
Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 AM
captinjohn

Bill
We wish you the very best in the procedure you are going to do. I & Dawn will be praying that all goes well.

I bet you cannot wait to get back home & rest...then its flying time again or enjoying this Hobby & other things the best you can. That all us old folks can do! Hang in there....God is good. J&D Hesperia MI
Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 PM
captinjohn

Jody....I did a trade & have a Cap 232 Old version Hanger9 Estmated weight of up to 13+ pounds. Wing area around 1200. I may try my DLE30 on it. Would a 20x6 prop be good or a 19x8? Thanks Capt,n.....Only about 12 more= 200,000 That is a lot of views!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71302.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1460308   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43584.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1460309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37668.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1460310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19963.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1460311  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.