Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50 vs ZDZ 50 NG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DA-50 vs ZDZ 50 NG?

I am not trying to start a war here, just asking a question. I am in the market for a new engine and I was wondering how the DA-50 and ZDZ 50 NG compare in terms of power, reliability, ease of use, starting, etc?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Fly_Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA-50 vs ZDZ 50 NG?

HI, I am using a DA-50, a DL-50 a DL-55 and a ZDZ-50, they are all great engines, however the ZDZ-50 is a bugger to start when cold, I think it all boils down to the depth of your wallet. Value for money is the DL-55 at around $550 au its a winner.

Your choice, can't go wrong with any of them.

Happy flying..........
Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had both. Now have DL-50 and DLE-55. They are way better than either my ZDZ 50NG or DA-50.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

My very first gasser was a ZDZ50NG, once you figure out what they like they start very easy, has the best transition and midrange of any engine. Still have it, gave the plane and engineto Tom, it' his all time favorite to fly, it's the plane in my avitar. Primarily fly DLs now for obvious reasons, definately the best power, hasexcellent transition anda good midrange when tuned properly. Nothing wrong with a DA, if it isn't reliable, even I can't beat their service.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 AM
freeair

I really think most guys are paying through the nose for certain brand named gas engines. look at the price of say the DA and 3W engines, also look at the prices for other parts from these companies. come on we dont want that plasma tv set mate we just want a good lcd tv that works well and lasts. i have been going through this stuff for some time now and feel the cheaper unit does as good or better than the over priced unit. as for the original question; neither of compared to other brands like 3W and MT.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Nothing wrong with a DA, if it isn't reliable, even I can't beat their service.

You can and did. This is based on my my first-hand experience.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 PM
flaminheli

Don't forget www.zrcgf.com
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

ZDZ or DA? It's not really a fair comparison in 2009. Both are fine engines BUT the DA is state of the art and US supported by a fine group of guys out there in Arizona. Because the DA 50 is the predominant quality 50 cc engine out there, there is a huge user base on which to draw when you need information on set-up, props, gas mixtures, adjustments, etc. etc. Is there a flying field in the USA where there is no DA 50 used. Very few, I venture. The same is not true for the ZDZ. So everything else being equal, DA is the way to go if you want a quality engine.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 PM
flaminheli

ORIGINAL: GeraldRosebery

ZDZ or DA? It's not really a fair comparison in 2009. Both are fine engines BUT the DA is state of the art and US supported by a fine group of guys out there in Arizona. Because the DA 50 is the predominant quality 50 cc engine out there, there is a huge user base on which to draw when you need information on set-up, props, gas mixtures, adjustments, etc. etc. Is there a flying field in the USA where there is no DA 50 used. Very few, I venture. The same is not true for the ZDZ. So everything else being equal, DA is the way to go if you want a quality engine.