Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

YD-A 56 vs. DLE 55

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YD-A 56 vs. DLE 55

This is getting way silly now. Pile It has decided to run this test and is spending his own dollars to do it. I think every one who has subscribed to this forum apparantly has enough common sense to realize that in the end this will be just one mans opinion, otherwise I would assume they would have been too mentally challanged to use a pc in the first place.

This is a hobby that we all love, or we would be doing something else with our hard earned bucks, but it's nothing more that that. Lets all sit back and try to enjoy this " comparison ".

Ray
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM
RC Pile It
My Feedback: (6)

Right on guys,

I am not running this as a "comparison" ant more, I am gonna run each engine, tune for best numbers(with each prop), and report my findings! I will use the exact same props, same fuel, same conditions, but not a "comarison", just a guy runnin' some "model" engines for fun! What ever happens, happens! No lab-coats, no white cotton gloves, this will not be "clinical", cause that is not how we have fun!

I will let you all know the results!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 AM
RC Pile It

Sorry Tom,

I let emotions get the best of me yesterday! Your posts just rubbed me wrong, and there was a lot of that going on. I didn't mean to focus on you! I believe that you have been fair with me, and given the time, you did answer my questions, and not pull any punches(which is very "stand up" of you) thank you! And I hope you(all) can accept my appology!

We are going to get back to "Real" for those of you that are still left...
Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

And with a good DLE you'll get around 7100-7300 with aXoar 22 x 8.
YD-A was designed to be very close to that, I believe, but there are other threads with that data. Lots of reports on the DLE 55.
Depending on oil, tune, atmosphere, temp., humidity, prop, etc.
Ball park is pretty big for both of these, which is an additional reason that comparison becomes less valuable.

Each one is what it is, and it's as good or not as it is gonna be, just like all the others.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 AM
sortie

Thankyou RC Pile it..
I just recently bought an Aeroworks 50cc bi plane and have little experience with gas engines. I am hoping this thread educates me on how they function, parts they consist of, and tuning of the engine. As a modeler, I read opinions on RCU every day and try to make the best decisions on my investments into this hobby. I will also search for other experts opinions on how to operate a gas engine before I take my high dollar investment up into the air.
Again thanks for your efforts and opinions of others to make this a safer hobby for me.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: RC Pile It

Sorry Tom,

I let emotions get the best of me yesterday! Your posts just rubbed me wrong, and there was a lot of that going on. I didn't mean to focus on you! I believe that you have been fair with me, and given the time, you did answer my questions, and not pull any punches(which is very ''stand up'' of you) thank you! And I hope you(all) can accept my apology!

We are going to get back to ''Real'' for those of you that are still left...
Your apology is accepted. I don't have anything against you personally. My problem is with the reason for doing this thread.
You go do your test and have fun. But remember one thing. Other people have these engines and will know if you are not on the up and up.

I apologize to the rest of the readers. For my sidetracking.

I'm also out.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
skillet92

We are going to get back to ''Real'' for those of you that are still left...
I am still watching and hope that you continue!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tseres,

I'm with you about the up and up part, however, some of what has been written in this thread has been bald face lies so I think the comparison runs would prove quite beneficial to clear the air. I've elected not to publically challenge those poeple since I'm fairly confident of how the end results will turn out. I have manufacturer provided evidence that prove what I say. Had a couple of people not lied I probably would have never posted in this thread.

The displacements and strokes of both engines are so close as to make any performance differences in using the same prop for the tests to be inconsequential. I have both brands of engine in my possession and know how both are designed and made. The contruction quality of both is relatively high in most areas but there are some profound design differences that will clearly show up in side by side run tests.

I don't gain by supporting either brand but honesty goes a long way with me, which is why I related the development and posting of a tightly controlled test plan.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Mikecam

Some of the posts I have read sounds like were using these engines to go to the moon. I and about 98% of the viewers of this thread will never break down an engine. If I have an engine that breaks I'll just send it in. With that said all I want to hear is how these engines start and tune to the average Joe(like me), all the other stuff I don't need to read. Start em up and tune them and tell me what she ran. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Scooter04

Wow, another typical thread that ends up with all the experts and suppliers chiming in. How about the man does his comparisons and you take them or leave them?

I am interested in the comparison. Will it make me purchase one or the other, I doubt it. Will I ever buy something from a supplier, distributer, or hobby shop because of their "opinion" of how this comparison is handled, no. Will I buy something because they are a paying advertiser on this forum, nope, don't really care about that either.

What I liked about this hobby in the beginning was the sharing of information at the field. There were always people to learn from, and people you could help. If Bob was a DA man and swore by them, does that mean I am going to buy all DA's? Don't think so. We are all not idiots whether we have 2 gas engines or 20. The insulting part of these threads is that some folks act like we are incapable of good judgement. It's great seeing people at the field with different stuff, talking about it, sharing experiences, etc. If my best friend has a favorite plane, should it also be my favorite? Is it the best? Maybe for him it is. Should I blow holes in why he thinks it's better than my planes?

You guys manage to suck the life out of this hobby sometimes. It's amazing I can even function in day to day life without someone telling me what to do constantly on the net.

RC Pilot - Onward for those of us who appreciate it!! I don't care if you are a pastry chef.

I feel better now. Yell at me, I don't really care. It's a hobby ladies.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Scooter04

Wow, another typical thread that ends up with all the experts and suppliers chiming in. How about the man does his comparisons and you take them or leave them?

I am interested in the comparison. Will it make me purchase one or the other, I doubt it. Will I ever buy something from a supplier, distributer, or hobby shop because of their ''opinion'' of how this comparison is handled, no. Will I buy something because they are a paying advertiser on this forum, nope, don't really care about that either.

What I liked about this hobby in the beginning was the sharing of information at the field. There were always people to learn from, and people you could help. If Bob was a DA man and swore by them, does that mean I am going to buy all DA's? Don't think so. We are all not idiots whether we have 2 gas engines or 20. The insulting part of these threads is that some folks act like we are incapable of good judgement. It's great seeing people at the field with different stuff, talking about it, sharing experiences, etc. If my best friend has a favorite plane, should it also be my favorite? Is it the best? Maybe for him it is. Should I blow holes in why he thinks it's better than my planes?

You guys manage to suck the life out of this hobby sometimes. It's amazing I can even function in day to day life without someone telling me what to do constantly on the net.

RC Pilot - Onward for those of us who appreciate it!! I don't care if you are a pastry chef.

I 2nd that, Well Said!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Tired Old Man

How about the man does his comparisons and you take them or leave them?
Exactly.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

I am interested in the comparison. Will it make me purchase one or the other, I doubt it. Will I ever buy something from a supplier, distributer, or hobby shop because of their ''opinion'' of how this comparison is handled, no. Will I buy something because they are a paying advertiser on this forum, nope, don't really care about that either.

I will have to 3rd this.

Have been watching this for a few days and have to Thank all involved. I have been using this for supplemental heat here in western SD. Its 3 below and snowing.

RC I am looking forward to all your tests. Thank You
Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 PM
ispirit99

I SECOND THAT EMOTION!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM
RC Pile It

Again, Thank you all. I'm gettin' a little misty here.

I will start running this week.

My plan is to get the recomended 4hrs on each engine with the same prop & fuel combination.

Following that, I am going to switch to 40:1 pennzoil, then I'm going to tune for best overall running, report my needle settings, and run the h#ll out of them! Recording rpms & thrust. I don't truely believe that anyone really cares about CHT's or EGT's.

Following a hand full of different "tests", I will switch to synthetic(Stihl ultra) @ 40:1, run 32oz's , then conduct the same "tests" again.

I plan on dispaying spark plug readings after every data-run to show an indication of tune...

If anyone wants to see anything else, please let me know, and if within reason, I will try.

At some point in time(afterwards) I will be playing with different mufflers, and props to answer some previous questions...
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey RC,

This will be good!
I like your plan [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
ispirit99

It's to bad that some people have the need to always be Right or the expert when it comes to there opinion. If you don't like RC Pile it's test, post your own rather than try to discredit his work. I will form my own conclusions in the end no matter what. IT'S AHOBBY not anEGO contest. There are those who DO and those who TEACH. If you find someone who can do both, count yourself lucky. If you don't like the results, DOYOUROWNTEST and post your results. I will read it and use my own judgment.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

My plan is to get the recomended 4hrs on each engine with the same prop & fuel combination.

Following that, I am going to switch to 40:1 pennzoil, then I'm going to tune for best overall running, report my needle settings, and run the h#ll out of them! Recording rpms & thrust. I don't truely believe that anyone really cares about CHT's or EGT's.

Following a hand full of different ''tests'', I will switch to synthetic(Stihl ultra) @ 40:1, run 32oz's , then conduct the same ''tests'' again.

I plan on dispaying spark plug readings after every data-run to show an indication of tune...

If anyone wants to see anything else, please let me know, and if within reason, I will try.

At some point in time(afterwards) I will be playing with different mufflers, and props to answer some previous questions...

The majority of us are with You Go for it.

JK
Old 12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
straitnickel

go all the way Pile It, i'm watching. i'm interested too see how it all works out, and i'll deside for myself what to do with your findings and i don't need a scientist to point the way. this was for fun and i'm enjoying all but the nasayers. i just want to see how ithe test turns out because it's intersting period.
PS, don't forget to LOL along the way.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

RC PI... announcing that you were going to make this comparison was the worst mistake you have made. It gave time for all the lobbyists to chime in.

I can tell you one thing... I already own one of these engines, your results will determine whether or not I give the second manufacturer a look. I am waiting on results to purchase as I need one right away. I wish that we had "Airplane Engine Consumer Report" type information upon which to rely. These engines are not exactly cheap and our decision can remain for several years as we move from plane to plane. We need accurate data upon which to make purchasing decisions. Too bad if a manufacturer has a problem with a comparison test result... if the test was run fairly and correctly. In this day and age, we should be able to evaluate some raw data for ourselves, if we choose to.

Many years ago, the same situation existed for farmers purchasing tractors... a bunch of snake oil was spilled all around. The university of Nebraska came up with a standard testing method and facility upon which the world now relies. It would be wonderful to have a comparison made on every engine with displacement between 40cc and 60cc as that is such a common size engine for a lot of the planes we purchase. Spilling over to the glow engines would make me ecstatic. I think that it would force the engine manufacturers to do better when they have to compete with one another and results are known. Using two engines gives us a winner/looser situation, where both engines can be either the best or worst of breed.

Now forge ahead and give us some numbers.... I look forward to this.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

And with a good DLE you'll get around 7100-7300 with a Xoar 22 x 8.
that sounds about right, i have mine tuned to about 6750 with a 23x8 xoar......
Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

What do you say to a bunch of female dogs who are in heat and barking for no reason???

SHUT UP
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Tired Old Man

RC Pile It,

Might I suggest a small change in your test plan that could save you a lot of time and still provide the same end results? Simply use the Stihl HP Ultra or Pennzoil at 32-1 from the start in both engines. After 4 hours it's your option to alter the ratio or leave it the same. Leaving it the same eliminates anyone squeaking about poor ring seals

Your plan works fine but in the interest of reducing costs and disposing of different fuel mixes the above is offered as an alternative.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Dan M

Tseres says here several times that you have an issue with one of the engines manufactures .

the scuttlebutt is this ........ it boils down to Henry not wanting to warranty an engine for you because of it being disassembled , and your thread here is an attempt to "rectify" that perceived "wrong"

can you please address this issue here and now ?

if you dispel it as fiction i will accept it and enjoy the rest of the thread , if not then i will need to reconsider if this thread is an unbiased attempt to compare two engines or something else entirely .

i honestly thought and still think that you are doing this as a pure comparison with no agenda , if i am wrong i will be surprised .

best wishes

Dan

Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i have a feeling that the yda is going to win the peak rpm test..... the DL will still be thr king of the affordable, performance 50cc class engines...... I still plan on buying another DL Engine in the near future, its already proven itself to me and thousands of others...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.