Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MT70CC TWIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
unit53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MT70CC TWIN

as proud mt owner ,it makes me glad to see the guy who made mine continue to evolve and make inprovements and corrections on an engine that allways had potential ,if any one says you dont listen to your customers,,heres the proof they are wrong,,i am really looking forward to seeing theese post filled with acclaim and good comments from satisfied customers ,i personally believe the mt70cc design is just what a 30 pct.areobatic plane needs a strong good running twin that will have the end user managing power instead of looking for it ,,all for a price that will beat the socks off several other manufacturers,on any given day ,,ps my original design mt70 which was one of the first sent to america is performing flawlessly after some minor leaking issues ,and causes much interest at my field...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you've done a nice job on it Tomy.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
aussiesteve

Well Done Tomy - It is looking good.

I like your idea of customised logos on the crankcase.

I agree with unit53, it is an engine that is well wanted out there.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
unit53

yes steve,,as we all know theres the social aspect of ,,one upmanship,,i think i spelled that right,,plus we all like good smooth runnung easy starting good looking engines that arent greedily priced,,its funny ,,you could price it at 800.00 dollars and let several big name fliers use them and they will sell like hotcakes,because they flew the crap out of their plane with a mt engine and it is in every magazine,,this is a well kept secret in many ways,,strangely enough here in southern california ,not many folks know about the mt engine line,,but because top fliers use top dollar engines ,those are the ones getting bought,even though my engine runs srong and its good looking and starts easily,if i were a crappy flier,people would take less notice,,but since ive acquired a few skills,,they get to see what mine can do,maybe we can get some of theese new versions in the field soon and get some real feedbck posted soon...every time i go fly people ask me about theese engines ,and where to get one,im going to see if mtengines is back up and running.
ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Well Done Tomy - It is looking good.

I like your idea of customised logos on the crankcase.

I agree with unit53, it is an engine that is well wanted out there.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM
unit53

ok i did not see any mt engines from paragon in canada,,, mt usa dosent have much,,mt china shows all mt engines but nothing yet eluding to the new design,,anso i see that thunderbolt rc ,who did sell mtengines  has none in stock or no longer lists them,,so we can only wait and see how all this will unfold ,,im sure by now tommy has devised what ever proper procedures for his machinists and needs to update the website and contact his dealers ,i know he places ads in different magazines,,hopefully he announced the upcoming release of this engine,i did read here from tommy its allmost ready to go,
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing, but it appears the Sachs twin has been reincarnated.......
Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: tomyrcmodels

Hi 72

new 70 crankcase can use laser to put owner logo on it what is your's
You could put "Gift to Lash"
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 AM
aussiesteve

Hey Lash. I wonder how it would go on a "LamBach" profile. I think it might be pretty good.

unit53. Ain't that a fact about the exposure being the main selling method - especially if it is also a shiny thing getting the exposure. Many have said it for quite a while now (Including me) - If Tomy can just get his Quality under control and good, he could be the premier engine manufacturer from China. I hope he has got all those issues sorted now and I do wish him the best.

Tomy - are you noticing that? - make sure every engine that leaves your factory is good, don't use out of spec parts and you will do well with your current products.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Steve, I was planning on putting it in an OMP Hybrid 92" but that was before the Lambok idea happened, so it may be a retrofit after I see how it flies. I am just home from work so I haven't been able to work on the plane for almost a week. Just have to cover the rudder and ailerons and do the trim. I'll shoot you some pics when its done.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
unit53

hey steve,,thats why i suggested to tommy,that he contact ,,some of the fellows that fly xfc ,,many compete with 30 % planes also to contact model airplane news and see if they will do a review,,,,,talk about exposure,,,, lets say this new version is matching quality with european and american and better than dle ,and only an average joe like me or you is the owner, that alone wont make it a hot item,,,but let someone with a name fly with one,,and see how it becomes the proverbial ,,,,must have engine,,,,,we all like to see the under dog win ,,except the competition,,,,theres no sense in going through all the trouble re designing,,if it isnt properly executed in the machining and assembly stage,several knowledgeable posters have followed the evolution of this engine and warned tommy he was shooting himself in the foot by doing buisness the way he did in the past,and thats exactly what happened ......you cant make the same mistakes and expect different results,,,it is my opinion that this current design will show if the lessons have been learned ,,if he needed to fire his former machinist,and hire a no excuses qc man ,all should be good to go,as we all know anything man made is subject to failure,,but if its poorly ececuted ,it wont stand a chance.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

if the quality is good and it is reliable,and not a dog in the power department,that will be all that is needed to build the name up.build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
unit53

there was definitely no lack of power with the original 70,,thats why tommy will be staying with the same jugs and pistons,,apparently ,,i only hope he has set higher standards for the casting and internal finish on them ,,i would suggest that whoever will be managing his machine and assembly shop hang a big sign over the door ,,saying no defective or poorly machined parts to leave this building,, and like ive suggested ,,pay someone 20 dollars an hour to check and test every engine that comes off the assembly line,,until it has been proven that random inspections are only required,,which is mandatory,,and to remind his employees that if certain standards cant be met,,that unemployment will be the option taken ,,and they will be replaced with someone who will do the job right,that goes from the shop manager right down to whoever does the final packaging for shipment,as has been proven past practices have resulted in wasted time money material ,loss of income and bad publicity,and angry customers,,im sure the competitors liked the way things were going at mt ,and the vaacum created by the past just created more sales for them,,and yes the product will speak for itself when done right,situations like this will indeed make or break a company ,maybe after putting the puzzle together maybe its kinda good that many engines and big publicity didnt get out a completely tarnish the brand name,,especially after re reading theese post regarding beta engines,and how this engine is evolving from customer feedback,not knowing how many were sold the original version that werent done by jody did have several failures like leaks and most had qc problems,and a couple of real sketchy ones,,now dle kinda reminds me of sears and roebuck,, more apt to run and provide service ,maybe not pretty but dependable,and everybody sells them ,,its allmost worth buying one from someone who just sells them ,because theres parts everywhere too,,im actually hoping to seethe MT70in that arena ,even if not mass produced,,just be dependable.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

i would like to have a twin in this size and weight.even though i had a bad time with a MT57 i would buy a MT70 twin.ONLY after some time has been put on them by others,i was one of the first to get a 57,i won't make that mistake again.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Unit53, what problems did you have before this engine was running right? Was it just bearings or something else? If it was bearings, were they faulty bearings or incorrectly installed or spun in the crankcase? Just wondering if there is that much to bringing this engine up to standard.
The original DL50 had its problems with mounting lugs that were too small and would break off, as well as the angle mounting brackets that would fatigue and crack. My very early version 2 had bad needle bearings on the crank from the start and it spun the front bearing by the end of the first gallon. This was all an easy fix and then ran fine. What I am pointing out here is that DL had their problems and sorted them out to become the giant killer it is today. I hope Tomy can do the same, cause I want a great twin 70!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
unit53

your last statement is exactly the point i wanted to make amomg others of course,,,my only failure was a leaky bearing dribbling around the prop drive ,,and possibly causing a vacum /pressure leak,i wasnt crazy about the plastic pulse fitting on the carb leaving off at an odd angle ,and broke it attempting to move it a bit ,,that was my fault there,,but besides that its run well,,we are pretty well read up on the other issues others had ,,poor machining ,leaks,poorly cast cylinders ,flaking plating inside cylinders engines arriving with missing parts ,and swill from not being cleaned when assembled ,and a few other issues ,,and youre right my first da 50 had to go back because of poor reed cage issues and yes dl had their callbacks ,,so yes we are on the same page as they say ,,,,ps navayusa may be possibly changing the canister slightly and adding a second exhaust outlet ,,i found mine to be rather restrictive,,instead of one little 3/8 outlets mi new one has 2 1/2 inch outlets,,i also had to bend my header to get a straifht connection ,,ive done some testing in the prototype muffler he made and it works perfect and allows my engine to process the fuel and air much better.
ORIGINAL: 72

Unit53, what problems did you have before this engine was running right? Was it just bearings or something else? If it was bearings, were they faulty bearings or incorrectly installed or spun in the crankcase? Just wondering if there is that much to bringing this engine up to standard.
The original DL50 had its problems with mounting lugs that were too small and would break off, as well as the angle mounting brackets that would fatigue and crack. My very early version 2 had bad needle bearings on the crank from the start and it spun the front bearing by the end of the first gallon. This was all an easy fix and then ran fine. What I am pointing out here is that DL had their problems and sorted them out to become the giant killer it is today. I hope Tomy can do the same, cause I want a great twin 70!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
unit53

ps the bearing as far as i know was cheap and didnt seal but not spun
Old 01-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Reason I was asking was I may have the chance to buy a version 1. I will wait and see what the new one is like first and how much.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM
unit53

well that version1 may become an orphan,,but maybe not im sure thereare parts available if repair is needed,,as far as i know ,,the major changeswill be the case and crank ,,everything else should be the same,,besides new quality control, and machining.assembly practices,and the new version is currently being tested hard in china and will be tested stateside soon as well,,there is the possibility ,i may do some of the practical testing myself as a regular joe,and not an expert,,so thats the latest for all i know so far.ps im also hoping tommy would actually implement the one bolt system ,,because i am lazy and dont like drilling props .correction convience-monger...
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Ya, +1 on the prop. I would love to be a tester up here but it will be a couple of months before the snow goes away so no flying for me. Too damn cold for running engines!!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
unit53

man it was cold here today ..about 75 degrees,,,,lollll ,,,well if you decide to get that version 1 ,,they run great ,,,,you have paragon rc that should have parts,or repair,and it may still be under warranty if it came from there,, if theres nothing wrong with the one you might buy,,im wondering wht they are selling it,,,maybe they need the money ,,because mine ,i wouldnt sell for retail prices ,it runs so well ,,maybe if they twisted my arm and gave me 50.00 over retail,,mine been gone through by jody and is broken in ,to me it worth more than an out the box motor.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Ray from Paragon is a good guy to deal with. I have bought several engines from him and always great service. Matter of fact, I am picking up a DL55 from him tomorrow for my LamBok. I'll ask him whats up with MT
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
unit53

yeah see if he has parts leftover,,they definitely sold mt engines and serviced them ,,and even if you get the old version,,you can allways buy a new version case and crank ,,youll only need to enlarge the bolt holes on the jugs because tommy is increasing the bolt size to secure them to the case,,and may sell kits ,,,i recommended he sell fully assembled and tested engines to start off ,before he shoots himself in the foot again or wose paints himself in a corner,with financial ruin as the final result,,ok bro ttyl.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: unit53

ps the bearing as far as i know was cheap and didnt seal but not spun
There was nothing wrong with the original bearings, NSK Japan. The grease pack and seal was the wrong spec for the application, the replacement bearings are exactly the same as the originalwith the correct grease pack and seal type but that's just the bearing issue on the first run of the original design, much more followed. I giving Tomy a clean slate and hope the new version of the case (which it didn't need) is worth the effort. I'm more interested in seeing "other improvements" thatshouldmake all MT engines much more consistent in all around quality. I personally like the idea of kit engines, gives the customer a choice of a DIY experience or the experience and expertise of a reputable stateside technician.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
unit53

HI there jody,glad you clarified the bearing failure cause,and the kit form would keep cost and packing size down,but my reasoning,is  based on the past which wasnt that long ago,,and this way he can test each assembled engine to really see the fruits of his labor,and be assured of consistency with manufacture and quality control,,once he establishes this i dont see any reason not to start  releasing kits,because he and his dealers and customers ,will know they have decent consistent reliable components,,but ,you being more knowledgeable,on this subject may have a better idea.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 PM
clivemc

unit53 - i agree with you that the engines need to be tested, before being released as kits. But i do think this has somewhat already been done. the is no major design change over the first version. which has proved itself to be a good design. What was lacking was GOOD QC. if the QC has been improved and all parts are given a check before being packed, i see the QB kits being a great success. As jody says, you can still have one ready to go and assembled by your local Distributor if you wish. It is easier to assemble good parts out of the box, than strip, QC and replace poor parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.