Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MT70CC TWIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MT70CC TWIN

I agree. Tomy's designs were very nice, the 57,80 and 70. It was the QC at the assembly stage where it all fell apart. The 57 I owned is still running strong albeit with the new redesigned crankcase. They have very high torque and were happiest with a 23x8 or larger prop on them. It never spun overly impressive numbers on the ground but in the air it would shine and put the DLE55 to shame and out pull it all to heck.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 PM
novayusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: unit53
Check on youtube theres a couple of videos regarding the mld70 ,,and if i remember the plugs stuck out ,,,it appears the same or close in width as the 70 straight plug version,,some cowl blisters would hide them and with the batteries behind my cockpit,on my goldwing yakk 55m ,,,,,,but no need because i still have a great reliable mt70 in place and found it much more spunky using coleman fuel,,and i dont need to worry about gasahol or all the additives that goes into automotive fuel,,and it smells much better too.,,also if the gentleman who wanted to reduce noise yes the header with a canister would do it ,,check with novayusa ,if he is still on this thread ,,,he made the header for mt ,,when they were offered as a combo or seperate.
Hello Unit53,
hehe... I'm always here to see what news happen. So glad to know you are happy with my canister.

Louis
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 PM
unit53

hey louis im sure anyone who uses your products are satisfied as well ,,,good to see you and great to know a person of your caliber.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

Tomy sent me photos of the all-new MT-76, looks nice!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
unit53

could you post some of the pics you recievedto this forum? you know,,,there was nothing ugly about my mt70at all it still looks and runs good ,,if he has found a parts supplier ,that will deliver consistent good quality parts ,this means all parts,including fasteners bearings gaskets ect.and someone willing to provide service in the countries sold ,,maybe it will work this time,in essense this is what was missing with the first 70cc ,,the engine i still have and use wasnt off by far just was part of a line that had its issues ,all contained in this thread when one could buy a single 55cc form china,,or get a 70 twin for a simmilar price ,,and without unnecessary problems,,,,pretty much makes a no brainer choice..
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

you would think Tommy would show some pic's along with the spec's on his new engine.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
capitalB

I don't know him or cannot speak for Tomy, but the way he was treated on this forum, I am sure he wants to make sure everything is right and well tested. B.T.W, if I was selling engines and people where dissembling them before running them, only to complain of poor assembly,stripped fasteners, ect, I would void the warranty! Buy a new D.A 60, tear it apart, screw it up cause you don't know what you are doing, and then send it back to them and see what happens! Oh and all the while you are posting about how big a peice of crap it is, Amen!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
clivemc

ORIGINAL: capitalB

I don't know him or cannot speak for Tomy, but the way he was treated on this forum, I am sure he wants to make sure everything is right and well tested. B.T.W, if I was selling engines and people where dissembling them before running them, only to complain of poor assembly,stripped fasteners, ect, I would void the warranty! Buy a new D.A 60, tear it apart, screw it up cause you don't know what you are doing, and then send it back to them and see what happens! Oh and all the while you are posting about how big a peice of crap it is, Amen!
actually if a dealer is appointed to sell a brand of engines they are well within their rights to strip and repair engines as necessary to ensure product survival and their own brand name. luckily for us you are not making engines. if you suplpy a great product and give dealers great backup support you will only get praise. sell poor stuff and expect the forums to be full of talk. this is the internet age and the world is connected.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
unit53

i cannot personally account for other peoples defective parts and engines, only mine,, i never assanated tommys character, but still do question his deficiencies with how he handled what we have discussed within this forum ,,and still want to see him suceed ,,you dont need to personally need to know the man to post pics of his new design,,unless he asked you not to....constructive criticism is a catalyst to improvement,,if taken like a open minded person. so far tommys designs have been fairly great,,its the practical execution,,and if no changes are made you too,,will realize the source of the frustration many of us have experienced ..
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 AM
clivemc

ORIGINAL: capitalB

you sure about that
as an appointed dealer you have every right to strip and repair as deemed necessary, send out problem stuff and expect the forums to be full of it. the world is all connected these days, this is after all the internet age. sent out good products with good backup and you will only get praise.
oh and yes i sold MT engines, i still fly a 70 twin myself and love it - just wish we could get good ones, i still get calls for them all the time...........

luckily you are not selling engines, or are you ???????
Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
capitalB

I didn't mean the dealer couldn't inspect them, what I meant was the buyers should not take them apart as soon as they get them home.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Someone has to be pretty inept to screw up a few screws holding parts together...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
unit53

just my2 cent comment,,,if one were to recieve an engine that mounted up started and adjusted ,with the normal break in ,,,then there would be no reason to dissasemble,,looking to see what the heck the manufacturer neglected to catch ,or forget, in many cases tommy gave permission ,,for his customers to remove defective parts ,because he could not depend on his dealers like jack from mtusa ,,or southwest rc,to compently replace or repair the engines that should have never been sent to customers in the state they were recieved,,with things like ;internal parts hitting leaky substandard bearings,missing parts ,dirt and metal shavings ,,pitted cylinders ect,,,.and yes if i were a dealer,of a proven ,quality product like d.a.,,and some curious customer decided to dissasemble ,without my ok,,,them yes they would have to pay to have my employees re assemble and test thats just fair common sense,,but with mtengines in many cases guys like valleyview rc had to spend way more time than was profitable to sort through several engines to find acceptable parts to get a good one.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
capitalB

After running a couple of gallons thru this engine, I don't know if I should thank-you guys (because I got it so cheap) or be angry as you killed off an amazing engine! I have owned and ran all of the big 4 (now 5) manufactures engines. I can say that of the box, this engine was not ready to go (as Jody said, it should have been sold as a kit) but now it is AMAZING! The smoothness, power and transition are unbelievable. The r.p.m.s I am turning with 23" props are incredible. I with go with a 24-8 to keep from over-revving it! Those of you who have not seen good results , try this: My read valves where installed wrong at the factory with the stiffener down and the reed peddles sitting uselessly on top! While you have the reads out, sand on a flat surface, all sides of the reed block. When assembling, ad a drop of medium C-A to the screws. This alone gave me 500more rpm! Great engine, very tight from the factory, break it in with lots of heat cycles to let the parts get to know each-other, and you WILL have a brute. I am going to buy 3 or 4 of these, go thru them, and break them in correctly. The only thing I learned from this forum is that they are not ready out of the box...but like a good dog, take your time and you will end up with a keeper! I do find it somewhat ironic that some of the people who constantly bashed this engine now are dealers for the competition.....Why didn't he just return it and walk away? I think I know why.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
unit53

I cannot speak for the bashers,,and have criticised,,and given my opinion,, and may have said a thing or two in frustration,but have made suggestions to the owner of the mt line ,to not accept then use parts that havent metstandards of usability,, and having assemblers not checking their work,or running and testing the engines before sending them to a dissapointed customer.if i were a dealer of model engines ,,i too would be now selling the other brands ,,if i could not get the cooperation from any certain manufacturer, it wasnt the customers who killed the mt engine line ,it was mr shen ,who shot himself in the foot,,by not doing what customers and the poor dearlers requested,, there was and still is interest in the 70 for sure,,i really like mine it starts east does 7150 rpm 23x8 at 3600 feet asl with coleman fuel,,and is spunky as hell ,,but even mine needed work ,,i think i read of one customer that had what he described as a issue free engine,,mine had a broken pulse nipple slobbering front bearing and a leaky case. if tommy had have followed suggestions ,,barring the economy mt enhgines would be doing real well ,instead we are still discussing its shortcomings including yourself.,,,unless tommy asked you to not post pictures of the NEW mt 76 id like to see ,, you know its rarely been the designs that were a problem it was the proper execution of theese designs and ,your experience with the reed cage is proof ,,even if it comes as a kit you still need defect free and properly assembled parts to make a whole runner,,if tommy changes his methods ,i may continue to use his engines otherwise ,i need to move along.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well stated as to what happened. No one wanted to see Tomys engines fail. It was the opposite.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM
unit53

ORIGINAL: Super08

Very well stated as to what happened. No one wanted to see Tomys engines fail. It was the opposite.
Yup,,, as a customer and a owner i would never want to see support production and even the brand fall off the charts,,,and have wished abd continue to wish tommy sucess and well wishes heck,,,he,s even a facebook friend,,,,, i wanted to be the first one at my field ,with about the best and most one could stuff in a 30 pct aerobatic plane , as far as a 2 stroke goes,,,and still to today this is true,, i think Antique,was there the day when not even broken in ,,how well the engine performed and hovered below 1/3 throttle ,at high desert altitude,,before it had a tank issue and bit the dirt, besides bent exhaust tubes and a bent carb needle ,it even passed the unwanted crash test,but now back to reality,,although my engine impressed everyone and the very obtainable retail price and accessories from novayusa,,i could not with any clear consience suggest anyone get one ,,and was embarrased to tell them of all the problems i had with mt engine products,,since this was not my first,,,dont even ask about the mt57 fiasco,,,,,,i think mr shen is a big boy and knows the difference in anger ,,which ive read ,,and constructive criticsm,,,like i had suggested way back,,, pay someone 25 bucks an hour to measure and check every pert ,before proper assembly in a clean enviroment,,then test run every engine to meet correct expectations,dont pay your suppliers for defective parts,return them for good parts,,if we end users wind up paying an extra 20 to 30 dollars for something we dont have to return,except occasional failures or crash repairs ,its a simple remedy no more no less .
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Antique

I was there, it did just what Unit 53 says it did...I was also the first to work with Larry who imported the MT57..It was the worst shaker I ever put on my test stand, and had some other issues as well...Tomy mde an effort to fix the problems but never got it quite right...The MT62 he cloned from Zenoah was his best effort....
Pe Reivers spent some time with the MT57 as well, got his running pretty good....With quite a bit of fixing..
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
capitalB

Does anybody have a 4 bolt prop adapter for the MT-70 I could buy? I have sent Tomy 5 e-mails with no response.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
unit53

that sounds about right,,,check my pm...from my experience ,,dont expect much more.not putting tommy down,,just calling it like it is,,,, and has been.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Antique

4 bolts are not necessary on any small gasser..
Our 12,000 rpm GT80 race engines use a single bolt in the center, 2 small bolts to bolt the spinner back plate to the hub....
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
unit53

I agree,,,i only have the one bolt version and have never once had a loose prop,,or any other issue relating to the single bolt setup,,,,mine came with two drift pins ,,protruding from the drive nosepiece,,but removed them and glued a piece of emory cloth instead. one must remember theese ignition engines dont kick back because they are timed ,not to,,as opposed to a glow engine which can easily fire before tdc, if it were glow ,,there would be no other option,besides double nut,,which also be an option for you,if you still have concerns.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The only problem I had with the one bolt hub is lightend back plates. They will allow the prop to clock and will ruin a fiberglass spinner.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

you know it's kind of funny,here we are yaking on the MT70 thread and there is no such engine anymore.
i tried the single bolt thing on the BME58, and the problem i have is that the prop would start to slip whithout at lease two screws to hold the prop,i had the single nut so tight it just started to crush the wood prop.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
unit53

whats up big closet,,,,???yes  as  far as we all know mt engines is dead,,but to be technically correct,,theres several mt engines .out there ,including several 70,s ,,theres,the guys who didnt  crash ,,or got a good one by chance or had someone like jody ,or paragon in canada to  re do them,,then there are those who just  got disgusted and threw the things as far as they could,,or just left them in a dusty corner of the garage.i sent the young man a pm ,in regards to ,having a  four bolt drive spare,,but maybe tommy finally returned his email,,,,,,im still waithing for this  ,,new  engine....lolllll,,to appear,,,not that i would  want one,,but just to see..out of curiosity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.