Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

ORIGINAL: Tseres

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

Please keep your cold weather up there. I will keep my 80 degree days lol. Glad to hear you guys put some good flights in.

Tom I will get you some photos this week. I dont have my old one anymore []. I guess I will have to take some of the new build .

Oh well just wanted to drop in and say hi, now back to an electric build for this weekend.
I still have my Foamy in the box and the rest of the parts in a bag. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Why don't you post some of your build pictures here for people to see how you mount your engine and the rest of your set up.[sm=thumbs_up.gif] I think it would be better then an oil discussion which is due pretty soon.[sm=72_72.gif]
I promise I will take some pictures of an up coming build . I have a good one i will be working on.

This electric is almost done. I have to hook up my wings and make my series connector for my batteries to ESC.

But for people wondering Here is what I am building

A Sapac Extra 330 into electric

Material: Built-up plywood and balsa
Length:65.6 in
Wing Span: 69.5 in
Wing Area: 936 in squared
All up Weight:8.5-9.5 Ib
Wing Loading:20-23 oz/ft squared
Glow Engine: 91-110 4-Stroke
Gas Engine:23cc-26cc
Electric power: 1700W-2000W

there is a picture of it on our website

http://www.planeaddicts.com/store/ag...duct=ARF&xm=on

Running a 8 cell set-up producing 1836W

Castle Ice 75

Power HD servos

1501 in rudder
Ds-120 on elevator and Ailerons

Spektrum AR6200

and the best part of all a custom made pilot head that turns with the rudder

I am hoping to finish the MSXR and get her maidened next week also. Then its back to the butcher block for some new projects.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Q500RC

Well i'm sure Plane addicts has better weather than most of us yr. round but we are still getting
mid 70's to mid 80's here but the wind is supposed to be up to 20-25 mph for the next a few days!

Weatherman says its supposed to die down for Sunday so we will see and it is forcast to be
in the high 70's over the weekend! One can hope!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doubled
Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
Apalsson, you turkey

Don't be gettin' all uppity just becasue the Australian Dollar reached parity for a few moments. You can resume the crowing when it surpasses ours, which I fear is not long in coming..... I may be from California, but I really don't know where I'm at anymore Gotta add pages to the passport soon I need to start looking into some Italian engines pretty soon. Been hearing some pretty good stuff about one of them.
I knew the thread would improve quickly!
Now it's down to name calling and abuse .. life's good again

Mate, be quick with those Italian engines while the US Peso is higher than the Lira!

All jokes aside, there have been some outstanding engines coming out of Italy over the years. At least in glow engines.
Us who have turned 21 more than once will recall the Rossi!
The Rossi was a hot rod then, and it still beats many now. Most don't know that a lot of 3w products used to come out of Italy. That was why the 24i and 70 twins were discontinued. They lost the manufacturer. I'm thinking real hard about picking up a Mintor to check them out. Oops, wrong product name for the thread but it shouldn't confuse anyone. Priced much to high for any comparative purposes in here Italy is on the Euro system now....
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

The Rossi was a hot rod then, and it still beats many now. Most don't know that a lot of 3w products used to come out of Italy. That was why the 24i and 70 twins were discontinued. They lost the manufacturer. I'm thinking real hard about picking up a Mintor to check them out. Oops, wrong product name for the thread but it shouldn't confuse anyone. Priced much to high for any comparative purposes in here Italy is on the Euro system now....
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. the piped rossi was the Ferrari of rc engines around here. All i think of is Billy h and his piped hots inverted 4 inches off the runway . ....Pm me info on the mintor when you get it please
Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

ORIGINAL: Q500RC

Well i'm sure Plane addicts has better weather than most of us yr. round but we are still getting
mid 70's to mid 80's here but the wind is supposed to be up to 20-25 mph for the next a few days!

Weatherman says its supposed to die down for Sunday so we will see and it is forcast to be
in the high 70's over the weekend! One can hope!

Yes and No You have to remembere we get those nice hot humid summer days. Some days when you walk out the door you feel like you recieved an upper cut from mother nature lol.

Come on you guys can fly in winds like that. 20-25 mph is just a slight breeze . Profiles are a blast in the wind. I have a little knife loop yak that I like playing in heavy winds with. You better be careful though or you might not get her back [:@]. I did fly it a few times in winds like that out of sheer boredom and I wanted the challenge. It did fly well but it was hard getting her to land.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:03 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure was and I think I can still say, is.
Last I knew, you could still buy some Rossi sizes.
I have a .61 Rossi with a Rossi pipe in an original Hanno Prettner Curare in the original colours that I built only a couple of years ago. Brings you back to the early 80's
I also have an Ed Kazmirski Taurus near fully built - shame I can't get my hands on a K&B61 for it

Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have an Ed Kazmirski Taurus near fully built - shame I can't get my hands on a K&B61 for it
No shortage of K&B 61 engines in any configuration and year avail on *BAY. I've bought many new in box engines there to complete my collections.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM
apalsson

I hadn't thought of FleaBay
I had one of those many years ago. Without doubt the most unsuccessful engine I ever had
Would be a shame to put one in the Taurus but I am wanting to set it up like the original one (except the rubber band wing attachments)
Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Ok all you x-sperts, Here is the plug out of my JC 28, about 4 gallons thru it. Two gallons of regular 2 stroke oil (Don't remember what brand) at 32 to 1, last two gallons with Bel-Ray MC-1 2 cycle synthetic racing lubricant at 40 to 1. (Woo racing lubricant!) Don't know how the pic will show so let me try to describe what I see. The electrode in the center is dry and sandy brown in color, the electrode coming off the side is dry and a slightly darker sandy brown. The surround (Part of the plug that faces the combiustion chamber) is covered with moist, not wet, carbon deposits.

Engine runs great.

Thanks for any learned opinions.

Mark

Oh forgot to ask the question, is this lean or rich or Juust right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43911.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1520040  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I hadn't thought of FleaBay
I had one of those many years ago. Without doubt the most unsuccessful engine I ever had
Would be a shame to put one in the Taurus but I am wanting to set it up like the original one (except the rubber band wing attachments)
Depending on the carb used and the version of the engine, those old 61 engines can run very well. Taurus was a good old bird. Now if you really want to be authentic, you could use an old K&B 45 .... but that would be way underpowed by modern standards.

I guess we're off topic for this thread but no further off than many comments that have appeared here!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Truckracer
Depending on the carb used and the version of the engine, those old 61 engines can run very well. Taurus was a good old bird. Now if you really want to be authentic, you could use an old K&B 45 .... but that would be way underpowed by modern standards.
Agree!! The carb on mine was an absolute pain and I used to hate the needle arrangement! I had considered the .45 - I also have a .51 engine that pretty much looks like these old motors but that would be cheating!

I guess we're off topic for this thread but no further off than many comments that have appeared here!
I wouldn't worry about it. I know the OP - he can turf us out if he likes

Besides, this is much more interesting than an argument if something is 27.6cc or 28cc or if something spins a given prop 7300rpm or 7250rpm
Old 10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

It sure was and I think I can still say, is.
Last I knew, you could still buy some Rossi sizes.
I have a .61 Rossi with a Rossi pipe in an original Hanno Prettner Curare in the original colours that I built only a couple of years ago. Brings you back to the early 80's
Way off the topic of the thread but I have a question for you or whoever knows the answer as I forget. I have a Pico .61 (Picco?) that was never run downstairs. Were they not the same as the Rossi, just a different name on them? I have had it since about '83

Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 PM
apalsson

Weren't they the same originally but then the company later split into Rossi and Picco?
I never had a Picco engine. Rossi was hard to get in my old part of the world and Picco near impossible

Sorry for the off topic stuff guys! It's easy to get carried away with this stuff
Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Q500RC

Hey Ari are you talking about the old Tarus from the past? I have the plans to the Giant Scale Tarus that was sold a few yrs back! It
is the 91" WS and I have the wing panels about built and now that I think about it the new 60 would a good fit for it!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:01 PM
fhm555

....shame I can't get my hands on a K&B61 for it

No need to roll the dice at the (not so) little store by the bay on a used K & B, just go straight to the source for a brand spanking new, "selectively hand fit and assembled" original ringed version of the K&B 61 from Mr. Clarence Lee himself. The .61, complete with muffler and PDP (Perry Directional Porting) will set you back $127.50 plus $7.50 shipping. I'm guessing that would be US shipping.

Lee Custom Engines
10112 Woodward Ave.
Sunland, CA 91040
(818)352-3766

This information was current as of this past May so you might want to give Mr. Lee a call just to be on the safe side.

A guy in our club has one in an old tango 40 and it's a real hoot.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
fhm555

regards the Rossi Picco question.

Don't know about airplane engines, but Novarossi, Rossi, and Picco car engines come from separate companies.

If memory serves, Rossi was a spin-off of Novarossi after a falling out between Ugo and Cesare Rossi.

Today the Rossi company produces the AXE Motor, Rossi, and RAL Micron lines, and Novarossi has shortened their name to Nova. I haven't checked lately, but Nova did produce a small number of aircraft engines, but the exclusive US importer for Nova at the time I was looking at them did not import them. During that same time period, Rossi was well represented in the US aircraft engine market.

Again, I'm working from memory here, but I'm pretty sure Picco is a separate family also in the model engine manufacturing business. Their current top of the line car engines are known as the EDO line, a series of high performance buggy engines personally modified by Mr. Eldorado Picco. As far as I know, Picco no longer produces aircraft engines, at least none I could find back when I was looking at glow engines, that are imported into the US.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lets get back to the RCAero, JC, & YDA engines
Old 10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Lets get back to the RCAero, JC, & YDA engines

Agreed !!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Sorry Boss
Old 10-20-2010, 05:05 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Champ-RCU

Ok all you x-sperts, Here is the plug out of my JC 28, about 4 gallons thru it. Two gallons of regular 2 stroke oil (Don't remember what brand) at 32 to 1, last two gallons with Bel-Ray MC-1 2 cycle synthetic racing lubricant at 40 to 1. (Woo racing lubricant!) Don't know how the pic will show so let me try to describe what I see. The electrode in the center is dry and sandy brown in color, the electrode coming off the side is dry and a slightly darker sandy brown. The surround (Part of the plug that faces the combiustion chamber) is covered with moist, not wet, carbon deposits.

Engine runs great.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Sorry I derailed the thread there for a while and your question got missed!
The plug looks good to me. Most importantly, if you are happy with the way the engine runs, that's the most important thing!
If anything, the plug looks like you are a touch on the rich side?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Q500RC

Hey Ari are you talking about the old Tarus from the past? I have the plans to the Giant Scale Tarus that was sold a few yrs back! It
is the 91'' WS and I have the wing panels about built and now that I think about it the new 60 would a good fit for it!
Now, wouldn't that be a platform for the new 60cc!
Relatively heavy built, 91" span.
I'd love to have a setup like that to take to the next IMAC competition - wouldn't that turn a few heads?

I hear the new 60cc has the same characteristics are the others from the YD-A family, or high torque at lower RPMs
What an awesome combination that would be!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Champ-RCU

Engine runs great.

Mark

These are the kind of questions were We could use Pat's expertise.

Sorry, I'd love to help but can't read plugs. I'm interested in knowing also.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Pat has implied, he may have "no show" spells for a few weeks due to work obligations
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
apalsson

Pe Reivers is another excellent "plug reader"
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
aussiesteve

Without having the actual plug in my hand to see further inside it. I would say it is slightly rich on the low end and maybe a little lean on the top end.

Here is what I heard.
Rumor has it that the new 60s are in the US now. rumor has it that there is a pretty happy distributor. same rumors have it that if you watch this space closely you will see a lot more info in the next few days.

Just rumors of course but they come from a pretty good source.

And Ari - I have dibs on the Curare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.