Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Question on BME 50

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 09:11 PM
clevis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on BME 50

New to gas. Does everyone use a velocity stack on the carb?
Is it advisable to solder a brass tube on the hole of the metal diaphram cover and route the brass tube outside the cowl to avoid irregular air pressure that may be inside the cowl?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:07 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I would install and run the engine and make a few flights with some altitude to see how it performs. If it does fine, then make no modifications at all. If there are issues, then deal with THOSE issues. Come back here and check in with your questions at that point. Velocity stacks are still very debatable.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

A velocity stack never did anything for me except to divert the gas that was spitting out of the carb, this was on a plane where the carb was sticking out of the cowl.
The performance of the engine was not changed at all.

The tube you are referring to IF needed should be routed to the inside of the fuselage (calm air)

One more thing. These things are not specific to a particular brand of engine . It is the carb that is affected.

As CAPtain232, stated, see how it runs first. Some installations may benefit from some modification others don't need any.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Clevis heres a suggestion, go ahead and install the vent to the carb diaphragm cover. As far as I am concerned this is a required modification. I have seen to many engines run perfect on the ground then lean out on the take off and quit while trying to get to a safe altitude. I run the hose back into the fus. into a small box made of balsa, this assures me the pressure will remain steady. My first gasser was a Quadra 35 in 1984. This was in a big trainer, its name became OL Dead-stick, after 6 mounts of non stop dead sticks someone suggested to try blocking the airflow in front of the carb. This cured it completely. About a year after this another fella suggested that the problem was with the diaphragm. After this a tube was installed and all the problems cured.
Some 20 years later and 15 gas engines everyone has had a vent tube.

Kent