Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aeroworks 36% Katana

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 AM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks 36% Katana

If you see my post 32 ,you can see where is my ign swictch and the batery switch is in the same line next to the rudder belcrank.

It s the only way i can find..

Oscar Silfa
Old 02-27-2005, 04:12 AM
sean jansen

well guys the plane is almost together . waiting for a couple of servoes and then build the pull pull for rudder and away we go , oh yeah i will have to figure out mufflers as well we have a strict 95db here in b.c. canada oh well i'll have it done this week
schedual test flight next weekend. wish me luck.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Mach1Latus
My Feedback: (3)

Sean:

when it all together let us know what the all up weight is, Kg is fine I can convert.

Good luck with the maiden flight.

Stephen
Old 02-27-2005, 03:06 PM
c016Y

How is everyone getting good weights on their planes anyways? What do you use?

Also.. If you are not worried about sound.. is there any reason to get canisters?

I am excited to hear that you are about to get your up!! I am going to have my ucd finished probably today. I was going to be practicing on that while building this plane. So.. I will start building probably later this week. I am pumped (first large scale). Trying to get all the parts figured out now. It is hard to pick out the things that I have never had do deal with before like lipo batteries, regulators, and those boxes that allow multiple batteries, receivers, and servos in to one unit for redundancy (although.. I guess this becomes the one point of failure huh?.. ha).. heck.. me not being able to spout out what those are called shows how little I know about building the large scale stuff.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:30 PM
c016Y

btw.. the one thing that scares me more than anything is putting the wrong stuff on this plane electronics wise. If someone could just give me a sample of what they put in their plane it would be huge!! regulators, matchbox, redundant blah blah, lipo batteries etc. If possible give the brand name or where to get them or something b/c I cannot seem to find what I need. I know this is a tall order, but, I really don't want to screw my first project up.

Sean.. Let us know how it flys. I would love to see some videos of this plane. I have yet to see it fly.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Fromeco has the goods. Li ion batts, regulators ect. Nice package deals.http://www.fromeco.org/

I hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:16 PM
c016Y

Thanks!! That looks like an awesome place to get it all!!!.. I also see some info and explanations.. thanks.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Dave763

Basic setup would be, one reciever one 4400mah li ion and adjustable voltage regulator with two outputs to help distribute the load for the reciever, and one 2200 li ion with adj. reg. with one output for the ignition. As far as switches go I have and like the super relia switch. One drawback to this switch is it will drain your battery if left plugged in. MPI has a very good HD switch as well as HD servo extensions. The next thing I would suggest is two 4400mah and two switches for the reciever.
I have several planes with only one reciever.
In my Kat I have two pcm recievers jumpered together with two 4400 mah li ions and two regs with relia switches. the ignition has one 2200 mah li ion and a electro dynamics optical kill switch ( I think smart fly has one that is lighter). The servos are split up between the two recievers. The right wing servos are plugged into ch 1, one in each rec. thr left wing is plugged into ch 6, one servo in each rec.
If one switch, battery, or rec. fails, you will still have control of all the flight controls. It has been said that the jumper should be fused in case of a short. Mine is not. I have not had any problems with this setup.
Seems bullet proof.
You can test to see that all the flight controls move with only one battery by turning off one and leaving one on,then check it the other way. Should work with either one switched on.
With adj reg.s set to the same voltage the batterys get pulled down evenly.
There is more than one way to skin a Kat!
Old 02-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Dave763

Colby, I hope any of that helps. I just read my own post.......sorry its such a rambling mess.
Dave
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 PM
c016Y

No.. looks great dave. Thank you VERY much.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 AM
sean jansen

hi everyone the plane is together . couple things i did not like the access panell on bottom the structure is very weak. and the cowl still quite a bit flimsy.
now my question is where sre people getting those fancy pull pull systems from ? the nice anodised ones.
well the only thing left to do is seal the gaps on the controll surfaces .
oh yeah where do you buy your lithium battery set ups. thx sean j.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Dave763

http://www.fromeco.org/

Li ions and Regulators
Old 03-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Dave763

http://www.swbmfg.com/

Servo arms, Pull pull setups
Old 03-06-2005, 03:54 AM
sean jansen

thx alot i will be looking into a few things there.
well the plane has flown today . 4 flights wow a 3w 120cc sure does hall it arround . my vertical perfomance is unbelievable. maybe a bit over kill. oh well what the hell i have always liked more power. i found the elevators hard to line up together it is like one of them is out of wack.but the knife edge flight was awsome no elevator input required at all. and the plane is definetly nose heavy . well with a 8 year old 3w 120cc which runs great the plane weighed in at 30 lbs i think i will invest in a DA 100 to save some weight, but it sure halls ass. i love it .over all i give it a 7 for construction and a 9 for flight charictoristics. i can see me flying this alot . oh yeah 29/10 mezclick 6550 rpm i will go to a 30/10 next, cheers, VANCOUVER B.C. CANADA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37860.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	238723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71506.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	238724  
Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
macanaw
My Feedback: (30)

I have the Katana 36%, I got it about 3 weeks ago and here is what I have found.

This is a mass produced plane. It is built "stout" and quickly but not necessarily poorly. You will certainly want to take some time to go over the covering again and I would recommend building the motor box different than their plans call for. I would also advise finding every and anything you can possible do to reduce weight, particularly in the tail.

Here are my main gripes (in not particular order)

1. Aero-works states this plane comes in at 26-28 lbs. This is a flat out lie. There is no way humanly possible to get this plane anywhere near 26 lbs let alone 28 lbs. I built the plane and added nothing other than lighter weight tail gear and Main gear than what they sent and it weighs 30 lbs. If I take out all the servos, batteries, receiver and ignition it would be close to 28 lbs.

2. HOLY CRAP ITS TAIL HEAVY. I moved both 2700 mil packs up to the firewall, put the rudder on a pull-pull and mounted the engine 1 inch further forward and it's still very tail heavy. I roll to inverted and the plane climbs at 15 degrees. I will be replacing the boat anchor of a stab tube with a CF tube to see if I can get it to balance better. I will likely do the same with the wing tube to reduce the weight.

Here are the accolades (in no particular order)

1. The plane built very fast and easily.

2. The plane is very stable and is obviously an awesome 3D plane.

3. With 2100 squares of surface area it does not fly like a heavy plane.

The first landing with the plane was a harrier landing (not by choice - dead stick) and all it did was splay the gear.

Here are the specs.

Wing Servos – (4) Hitec 5945
Rudder – (1) Hitec 5735
Elevator – (2) Hitec 5925
Batteries – (2) 6 volt Expert 2700 mil

Engine – ZDZ 100 NG
Exhaust – Full length tuned pipes. (Proto-type that will be mentioned in another post)

Landing gear – Custom made by Dick Hanson weighing 11 oz.

Tailgear – GraphTech

Linkage are all 8/32 Hanger9 Ball Links with titanium rods.

The ZDZ-100NG with full length tuned pipes turned 6950 rpm. And swings a Mejzlik 26X10. The plane has good power but it is also still cool out. I am concerned about the vertical power come warmer weather. Keep in mind the altitude of my field is 4200 feet.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 36% Kat weighs 28 3/4 lbs with the 100 NG and stock in cowl muffs......carbon gear.....2 2700 NiMh and 1 1400 NiMh for the ignition.....rudder servo on a pull-pull (single 5735....will KE loop all day long) nothing added or beefed up from stock.....it is tail heavy but I dont mind it, it's still easily flyable.....in Denver at 5400'.....witha DA100 and stock gear you'd be just shy of 31 lbs stock.....does fly well, just heaier than I would like (ain't they all )
Old 04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
chtalbert
My Feedback: (3)

28lbs? I hear some other people saying they have their Kat at 25lbs. You should have me set your plane up for you.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Dave763

Yeah right! 25 lbs....I doubt it. Get a new scale.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
OSilfa

yes!!!! 25 lbs without engine mine was 29.

OScar Silfa
Old 04-13-2005, 05:16 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

25lbs? Nawwww.....chtalbert is just making a point....he's just goofing around with me.....I would agree to 25lbs w/o the engine.....
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 AM
mithrandir

Go to the Flying Cirkus, Register (Takes 1 minute)

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/

and download this video....

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/vidgalle...videosDir=DESC

or this
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

This oughta tell you how I feel about this plane.....

Check out my photo gallery as well.... my apologies for the last picture...
I doh'know how to delete it

mike
Old 09-11-2005, 03:53 PM
hooverin howie

Awesome video!!!! Got my 36% just last week. I caught the sale and I only have a Brison 5.8 to put in it. I'm told that Brison rate their engines conservatively and I hope that I don't have some of the problems I've heard of with the fit of Aero Works planes. They do give them away sometimes. Hope I got one good one, I was quoted that they only had 15 left when I got mine. Great flying! I'm only in my 3rd season of flying but have lots of stick time since I've become disabled. Many back, neck and shoulder surgeries and I will have to keep the plane at the field locked up or have a friend come over to load it in my Suburban. Can't wait to get it together!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:17 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hddunbar

Awesome video!!!! Got my 36% just last week. I caught the sale and I only have a Brison 5.8 to put in it. I'm told that Brison rate their engines conservatively and I hope that I don't have some of the problems I've heard of with the fit of Aero Works planes. They do give them away sometimes. Hope I got one good one, I was quoted that they only had 15 left when I got mine. Great flying! I'm only in my 3rd season of flying but have lots of stick time since I've become disabled. Many back, neck and shoulder surgeries and I will have to keep the plane at the field locked up or have a friend come over to load it in my Suburban. Can't wait to get it together!
HD, I'm just down the road in Bloomington and would be glad to send pics or bring my 36% Katana up there for you to check out if you have any questions about anything--not suggesting that you will, but I'll offer nonetheless.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49 AM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Hi all:

I ordered AW Katana 36% from Chief and got WM Katana 36%. Apparently the only diff is the color scheme.
I have a DA100 and BME110. I prefer to use BME110 on it if all possible.

If anyone has one in, please describe your setup and CG.
For those flying DA100 and ZDZ100 and flying aft CG. Please tell me how far back of CG you have. The manual says 8.5" from leading edge which ends up about 1" infront of wing tube leading edge. Is anyone flying CG on wt leading edge or on wingtube?

Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM
macanaw
My Feedback: (30)

Mine had a ZDZ 100 with full length tuned pipes.
My CG was right on or a hair behind the wing tube. I had to do a pull/pull on the rudder and replace the stab tube with a CF tube, and moved my batteries all the way up to the firewall just to get it there. The DA is about 3/4 pound heavier than a ZDZ so you should be ok, although I would still reccomend a pull/pull on the rudder.

If you want to shed some weight off this plane you can do so with a CF wing and stab tube, change the landing gear (which is a boat anchor) to CF.

The plane flies good regardless of CG (it is very forgiving). The only CG related issue I had was it wanted to climb when I was inverted and used the rudder.

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.