Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

World Models Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:34 AM
cchs1964

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Extra 300

thanks hotsman, I'll be anxious to see your results....
good luck
jerry
Old 08-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

I have this plane (Patty Scheme) with a MDS 2.18, it swings a Menz S 20X8 at 7200 rpm's on 5% wildcat fuel. It weighs in @ 15.75 lbs wet. At full throttle it takes off in 10ft and goes strait up until I stop it. I am a unexperienced 3D Pilot but I am learning. Is seems like it will do it all.

I know that many ppl have not had good luck with MDS. In fact I can't get my 1.48 to run good at all, but the 2.18 runs great. I have about 75 flights on this plane now and I love it. I know that they don't warrant a gasser on their plane, but the RC Mag Video did a review and they put a 3W50 on their's and it had unlimited power.

Now here is the problem. I have been watching many of 33% planes this summer and those planes seem like they are flying soooo slowwww when they are 3Ding. I know that it is the size, the wing loading, and being a great pilot, however I have not gotten mine to fly that slow into and out of each manuever. I am not sure you guys know what I mean. My Patty is really good on weight, power and throws, but it just doesn't seem the same.

I am saving for a 33% with a 100 twin for next Summer. Don't get me wrong I love my WM Patty, and the quality of the ARF. I think it is better than any other 27% out there. With the DA50 you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:12 AM
jegi75

would not you consider a 3w 50i...?

up to you..

bye
juan
Old 08-23-2003, 03:25 AM
h82crash

To fly slow like those guys, a 27% like these need to be under 14 lbs or a wing loading of around 24 oz/sq'. Skills also have a lot to do with it. Having the ability to control it below stall speed is a huge factor. Another thing is how far inboard the ailerons reach. They have to be in the propwash to have effect below stall speed.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:38 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scale factor has something to do with the look of a Harrier too. My H9 Extra is pretty heavy but looks like it is just floating around while in a Harrier. A 27% plane may be going the same speed but looks a little faster. In addition, a number of them will rock their wings. Fortunately, the WM Extra does this very little. I think the 27% size (if light enough) makes a great 3D trainer because you have to work at making it look good. When you step up to a 33% 3D plane, you'll be amazed at how easy they are to 3D.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:27 PM
mga

Default RE: World Models Extra 300

Hi, I read that you were putting a FP 2.4 in your Extra 300S by World model. I jst ordered the kit, and have a FP 2.4 which was used in my Sukhoi almost 14 lbs, and no problems. Have you flown yet with the FP. Thanks MGA
Old 01-19-2005, 12:16 AM
gineco04

Default RE: ZDZ 50

I am thinking to put in my extra 300 a ZDZ 60 for 3d , the moki 2.10 just fly well but it dont work for 3d I`m flying on 6500 ft in mexico city, What do you think
Old 12-21-2006, 05:42 PM
flapper

Hi,
Needed to re open this thread as I need some advice about a couple of things. First, anything good to be said about running the OS 1.60FX on this plane? Second, I have read that with this engine fitted in the stock plane configeration (as per book) it comes out nose heavy. I have finished putting mine together and I can't believe how much TAIL HEAVY it has turned out. This is using the suggested CG of 100mm from the leading edge where the wings meet the fuselage (normal situation).

IS THE SUGGESTED CG IN THE MANUAL WRONG. EVEN WITH 150MM FROM LEADING EDGE IT IS STILL TAIL HEAVY.

Battery (twin 4.8v nicads 1100mah in parallel) is situated on engine box and receiver moved as far forward as possible. Stab and rudder removable and no excessive weight was added to rear section. Epoxy used to glue fin with just enough used for job with weight in mind.

I don't really want to add more nose weight. Unless I increase HP. Does anyone have pics of their plane on a CG machine or similar with the OS fitted?

Confused and slightly dissapointed.

Mark. [&o]
Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming you put dual elevator servos in the tail per the manual and a rudder up front with pull-pull setup.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do with it because you used such a light motor. The plane is more suited to a 40--60cc gasoline engine.

Mine balances on the wing tube, which is typical of most of these 27% size ARFs with a wing tube and two seperate wing panels.

My advice is to take the 1.60 glow engine off and buy a gas engine. There are some great engines on the market today. You don't have to spend $700+ (da50) to get a good 40-60cc gasser these days. Check out the Brillelli engines or BCMA engines. You can also purchase a G-62 on Ebay for around $270 and have it converted to electronic ignition. Total price is around $400--$450 for more power than you can shake a stick at.

There are also Poulan 46cc convesions available for a very reasonable price. Brillelli sells a 60cc engine thats very similar to the G-62 and power is reported to be excellent.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:51 AM
flapper

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I had a feeling from the many posts about this plane that the 160 is not the favourite or preferred option. You are right about the servos; used the dual rear mounted for elevator and the pull/pull for the rudder. Looks like I will be digging deep into my pocket for the extra cash for a gas engine.

Most suppliers here in Aust have the DA50 for around $900 Aus. The G62 is around $650 to $800. I am also able to get a DZY 48cc twin for $780 Aus. Unable to locate any Brillelli, BCMA or Poulan engines available here. Other option available would be a MVVS 35cc for around $600 Aus.

It is a shame the plane is specified as a 160 2 stroke size when it clearly is not.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Regards
Mark
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
see_e_oh
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys. I just bought a (barely) used PW Extra 300S with Moki 210. How can I tell if its a Great Planes or World Models version?

It's the usual red/white scheme.

Where can I get a copy of the World Models manual?

Can anyone tell me the suggested throws?

The suggested CG?

Can't wait to get this bird in the air, but want to be certain I've got it set up right to start.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:29 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

The GP Patty has a 78inch WS, and WM Patty is 80inch WS.

The WM Patty's wings attach by running a screw up through the bottom of the wing into the wingtube.
The GP Patty's wings attach with two 1/4-20 screws into the sides of the fuse, and into the root of the wing.
The GP Patty has gold trim on the cowling.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 PM
see_e_oh

Thanks Frieshoo-

Wings are off at the moment, I'll measure them later tonight.

This model has a single anti rotation pin on each wing, with a 1/4 x 20 through the fuse at the TE and a 6 x 32 machine bolt at the LE.

Its strung with a pull/pull on the rudder, and a "normal" type of tailwheel. The GP manual doesn't show a pull/pull, and it depicts a funky tailwheel assembly.

No gold trim on the cowl or anywhere else, just red/white/black

==============

Just found the WM manual. Yup, I've got the World Models version!

Old 12-24-2006, 01:16 AM
see_e_oh

CG measures out at 5 3/4".

The WM plans call for 6 1/2".

Anyone have any problems flying Patty a little nose heavy?

Old 12-24-2006, 01:45 AM
flapper

Hi,
The construction booklet for my World Models Extra has the CG at 100mm (3.94"). Where does your figure of 6.5" come from? I am trying to set up my Extra as stated earlier and am a bit concerned as to the correct CG. The main wing spar is about 130mm from the leading edge.

Also, with my WM Extra there is only one anti rotation pin at the trailing edge. No machine bolts or other locking device except for the screw through the wings into the main spar.

Regards
Mark
Old 12-25-2006, 11:21 AM
see_e_oh

CG of 6.5 in is in WM manual I downloaded a couple of days ago from their website.

My model is a little different than indicated, as the horizontal stab is not removable, and the main wings do not attach through a bolt in the wing bottom to the wing tube.

I suspect my version is older and there may be different CGs for different versions.

Anyway the 5 3/4 measures to the aft of the wing tube, which I understand is a pretty safe balance point for larger scale planes.

In addition, I weighed it at 16lbs 4 oz, so its on the heavy side -- about 31 oz/sq ft of wing area.

Based on some literature I've found, the Moki 2.1 puts out 5 hp and 25lbs static thrust, so it looks like it'll have about 1.5:1 thrust to wt, and about 233 watts/oz --- should be plenty of power even at this wt.

I'm off to the field, to dial in the Moki and do my first flight.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:09 PM
see_e_oh

First Flight Report

The CG of 5 3/4" (aft of wing tube) was good. 45 degree upline, no nose drop on roll to inverted. Plane flew rock solid. The heavy 16 lbs 4 oz dry weight was no problem, handling was very nice, floated nicely on landing. Had 5 short flights on it, but was having difficulty getting the Moki 2.10 tuned right (running it rich since there's only 2 gallons through it).

Unfortunately, on the 6th flight I went for a go-round and lost the engine. Couldn't make it back to the field. Tore off the LG plate and crunched the right wing tip; no other damage. Not even a scratch on the cowl, spinner, or Mezjlick 20 x 8 prop. Turns out, my bisson muffler bolts had worked themselves out comletely, leaving the muffler hanging by the vent tubing inside the cowl... loosing back pressure and starving the engine.

Looks like the wing is rebuildable, but I'll have to look more closely at it this week.

Looking forward to getting it in the air again.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

I recently purchased a used WM 80" Extra 300s and just this past weekend put my first flights on it. Figured I would post my results here since my original thread title somehow got truncated.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9448170/tm.htm

Flew the Extra for the first time this past Sunday 3/7/10.

I ended up swapping out the glow OS 160 for the gas ST 3250. Also went with a much smaller fuel tank (16oz) and moved the tank rearward to just above the wing tube.

The manual I found online listed the CG as 130mm. Even with the dual 5-cell 1600mah batteries strapped to the engine mount it was just a hair tail heavy (probably about 135-140mm), but I decided to go with it.

I also had to swap out the 9303 that was on the rudder, it oscilatted pretty badly when returning to center. Used a Hitec 645MG I had lying around.

I put two flights on the plane. First flight was just about a 5 minute flight to get it up and trimmed. I required a lot of down elevator trim, the plane wanted to climb a lot. Once trimmed, it held inverted flight well so I think the CG is pretty good where it is. More on the excessive trim in a minute.

Plane flies great with the ST3250 gasser. Plenty of power. I actually forgot to try to put it in a hover, was too busy just flying around, but massive loops and looooong uplines were no problem. Plane cruises around at about 33 to 40% throttle nicely. Full throttle is pretty fast with the 18X8.

Second flight was a bit longer at about 9 minutes. Again, no suprises, flies very well.

Plane does not want to land, just keeps floating. I almost had an incident when landing after the first flight, I killed the engine intentionally on final just before I flared, however it was gusty and the plane balooned back up at just above stall speed. I shoved the nose down and was able to save it, just came down a little rough but no damage whatsoever.

Second flight I practiced landings, did about 15 or 20 touch and go's and aborted landings.

When I got home I put my incidence meter on the wings and tail. The wings were both even with each other, as were the tail feathers, however the wings were set 2 full degrees off from the tail. This explained the excessive down trim I needed in flight.

I also found that the firewall actually broke loose from it's tri stock and was simply held in place by the tabs on the side of the engine box. Major disaster averted here somehow. I am rebuilding it, looks like whoever built it originally only used 2 pieces of tri stock and not much epoxy. The OS160 was also soft mounted, as opposed to the 3250 that's in there now hard mounted on aluminum beams.

Overall I was very pleased with the plane, and once I get the wings set correctly (simple mod, they just use locating dowels) and the firewall rebuilt I think this will be a very nice plane for a long time to come, unless of course I end up doing something stupid with it.