Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

50 CC Smoke system ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 CC Smoke system ?

Was thinking about putting in a smoke system on my next plane..Is it really worth doing in a plane this size with the added weight? What is the smoke output like ? I know from my glow planes that you had to be almost at full throttle to get a nice trail..Obviously the gassers are much hotter but its all realtive..
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 50 CC Smoke system ?

Although a smoke system on a 50cc gasser can and will perform almost as well at it will on the big twin aircraft. You take a bit hit on weight in a plane that you tried to keep as light as possible. Unlike glow engines, gassers create a lot of smoke without a need of a smoke coil in the muffler due to higher running temperatures. There's no need to pre-heat the fluid so smoke density and performance is much, much better at all rpm ranges except at idle.

On a 50cc plane it's kind of fun to put one it and use it a couple of times, but the novelty wears off pretty quick, and you want the lighter plane performance back. Give it a whack and show off a little. At least you'll have that smoke system laying around for your next big gasser.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
rcflyer96

I did exactly what Silversurfer said, bought one put it in my first 50cc gasser, used it 4-5 times, then bought a new plane and left the smoke off. I kept the pump to use in a larger plane though. I was very pleased with how much smoke the 50cc put out. Had to turn the pump down so it was just turning over and it was still fantastic. I say go for it but you'll probably end up taking it out after a little while.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

They're putting smoke in jets now too. It's a lot of fun and thw weight is not that much. Dennis
Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Redneck Shaun

I have a DA50 with a pitts style muffler. What do I need to do to install a smoke system? Do I need to get a totally different muffler? Also I am weighing the difference in getting a canister or not. How would this effect the outcome with smoke added to it?
Thanks
shaun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31917.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	512994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63107.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	512995  
Old 08-25-2006, 12:50 PM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

if you do get a smoke system get that 3W smoke pump so you dont have to run another battery... the majority of the wieght will be the fluid, so you won't have to take the pump out every time you want a weight savings.... the little extra weight is worth it as long as you can still get out of a hover ok
Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I was thinking of getting a 6 volt battery with 2 leads (one to receiver and one lead to TME pump) this would be part of a two battery setup.(one battery direct to receiver the second one shared off of the battery)
Anyone ever do this? Pro's Cons? My 85 inch DA-50 powered extra is now 16 lbs flat dry and I am looking to keep the flying weight under 18 lbs with fuel and smoke.

My only concern is if there might be any electronic noise from the pump lead that might cross over to the power supply to the receiver. My guess is that it should be isolated enough but really would like to hear if it has been done or ever had a problem.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:46 PM
rcflyer96

I used a slimline pump, so I had to run another battery. As far as what you need to add it to an existing muffler, all you need to do is drill and tap the muffler for a nipple. Make sure the nipple is close to the exhaust port as that will give you the hottest temps and best smoke, also on most thats where the thickest wall is so it gives the tap a bit more depth.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best plan is to NEVER run run the receiver and the smoke system off the same battery. having a separate battery assures that you alawys have enough juice to run the receiver. There's been many a case where the smoke tank ran dry and the operator fortgot to turn off the smoke pump, draining the battery down to where on the next flight the plane went in because of a low receiver battery.

A separate battery also reduces the potential for electrical feedback from the pump to the receiver. All you need is about a 400mAh battery so it does not have to be a large one.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Banche

I have a 2400 fromeco li-ion and a fromeco regulator. It is used on my DA 50's ignition. I have 3 outputs on the regulator. Each output supplies about 3 amps. Would it be reasonible to use on of the outputs for the smoke system and one for the ignition. How many amps does the DA 50 ignition draw and need. How many amps does say a slimline or sullivan pumo draw, it would be really easy to run it like this and I would think that capacity and running out of battery would not be a problem, just wondering how many amps everything requires.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Banchee;

Good question on combining the ignition and the smoke. Worst case sceneraio is engine failure. Could be bad if you are hovering at 2 foot.

Shaun;

The battery still has redundies as there is a second one that is dedicated to receiver only. If the setup is good for flying 8-10 flights on 2 batteries could the pump be added?

I was looking at this on my current project a 33% Aviation Models Yak where I have two 1950 FAUP batteries for the reciever. Way overkill as one has proven to provide for 7 fifteen minutes flights by another member. Adding another battery could be considered adding bad weight if i could get this to work.

I guess that the real question is on the interference issue when the pump runs and the electrics are connected (seperately to the same battery) between the battery and the reciever.

Granted I would never run a single battery dedicated to both the pump and the receiver. That is just bad mojo man.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Banche

Yah, my setup is in a AM 30% Yak, I have a 4800 with 3 outputs on the reciever and a 2400 on the ignition.

Those faup batteries last forever, I have a 1950 in my Showtime

LoL I dont know why my name is banshe, made it a couple of years ago when I was like 12 and couldnt spell.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree with the idea that the added weight will kill the plane performance.

Look at our 27% and 28% plane today compared to just a few yrs ago. It's rare to find a plane this size today with less than 1300 squares. Wing loading is not an issue.

Take a look at a 27% plane circa 2003 vintage. About 1100 squares--some up to 1250 squares and they flew fine. It wasn't untill recently when guys started demanding more "floater" type airplane for 3D performance that the wing area got stretched so drastically.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a smoke system in a 50cc plane. Pump only weighs a few ounces. Battery weighs a few ounces. Tank and switch is a couple ounces. Maybe 1/2 pound total weight gain when it's empty. MAYBE. Then you gotta consider the weight of the fluid in the tank. Run a 12oz or 14oz tank. Smoke for a good 7 or 8 minutes. Thats enough to get a few ooooohhhhhss and aaaahhhhsss out of the peanut gallery. And it's all about the cool factor anyway, right?

Go for it man. Get a li-po battery or run a 9.6volt MH battery about 500 or 700mah.

Take pics. [8D]

Old 08-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Good info guys..thanks!

Anyone have any vids ?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also took the smoke system out of my 27%er and now only use them in 33% or larger planes. It did work well though. Just lost a little performance.