Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Quique 86" Yak - Review Sneak Preview

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Quique 86" Yak - Review Sneak Preview

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quique 86" Yak - Review Sneak Preview

Anybody find a good CF landing gear that fits?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yarom

Graph Tech make one, but I don't know how good it is, they tell me it is able to increase the prop clearance by up to 1".

Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Nice KE pass, just before it's demise....

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66587.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	697195  
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Sorry to hear that... you are having a rough season... they got more in stock...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
SinCityJets

Barry,

I missed it, what happened??
Old 06-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Barry Cazier

I just finished a inverted flat spin to finish up my routine and was going to land. I turned off my 3D rates and for some reason I inadvertently flipped my choke servo switch. Killed the engine. I wasn't very high and was going the opposite direction of the field. I tried to turn and land the plane. When I make the turn into the wind I was too slow and about 15' high. I was sideways in the wind and had zero control authority. The plane stalled and fell from the sky. I just pulled full up elevator and hoped. It hit right on the nose. I think it's repairable. It broke the firewall out and fractured here and there about a foot along the fuse. No landing gear damage, motor damage or prop damage or wing damage or tail damage. Bummer, but I think I'll have it fixed by next weekend. The plane flys soooo nice. The cowl has about six pretty good sized cracks in it. I think I'l buy a new cowl but everything else I'll be able to repair decently....I think.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Barry Cazier

My last flight was number 37 for this plane. I was really starting to get it trimmed out right and enjoying the plane. I had a great time with it on Saturday and I didn't really let it ruin my day. I disassembled it at the field and ascertained the damage and determined it is fixable. My main concern is getting the firewall exactly back in the right place, and the cowl.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: yarom

Anybody find a good CF landing gear that fits?
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/LandingGear.htm

Yarom, I don't have one of these airplanes but do like the SD Models CF landing gear. The gear for the 30% plane shows a weight of 5 oz, not bad. You will have to check the dimensions for your application.

Here is a pair of 33% SD on my other manufacturer's type yak. They are stiff and work great for normal operations, I have over 100 flights without any problems and have actually dropped a harrrier landing from 4 foot no problem.

Barry sorry to hear about your plane, get her back up there!!

Richard

Name:	Mk26032.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	697304  
Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Maudib

Barry,

I have another unbuilt airframe here I can measure for you if you need in order to get the correct rebuilt engine box... first off it's a 2.5 degree right thrust...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
SinCityJets

Barry,

Sorry to hear that! that sucks.

Unfortunately, I have a similar story with my brand new 102". It was Saturday on flight 15, and I forgot to start my timer. I mentioned I had forgotten to start my timer, but a friend said I had only been up 5 minutes. I flew around for about another 5 and then.....deadstick. I went a little too long on the downwind, turned in to the wind and watched the plane slowly disappear into the trees 30 feet short of the runway. The brush was so thick we had to disassemble the plane in the trees. Zero structural damage, one small hole in the ultracote under one wing, and two small holes in the ultracote under one stab. The cowl got an ugly dent also.

Here's the weird part, I lost all three servos (8611A's) on the left side of the plane. Left stab, and two left ailerons. I have no idea how, but hey are all locked up and will not turn on. No sound, nothing. Just for background, I am using Smart-Fly's power distributor, and the elavator and wings are both on seperate matchboxes. I installed new servos, and no problems.

Don't forget to start your timers!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 AM
yarom

Happended to me as well...

The next guy to come up with a device that activates a strong strobe when the tank starts getting empty, gets my business.

Should not be that hard, other than the fact you don't want to have spark happen in the gas fumes. A relay that stays open when the liquid closes the circuit, once the circuit closes besause of lack of liquid, the strobe starts flashing.
We might even be able to get an automotive device/probe and adapt it. I bet what they use on scooters is not that big or heavy.

I have an exterior red light on my ignition cutoff and it is bright enough I can see it is on when I do a flyby.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
BaldEagel

Thats a good idea the problem will be the baffles you would have to put into the tank to stop the fuel from slopping around when you are doing all those crazy things we like to do in the air, a sustained blender will put the fuel on one side and through the baffle holes and give a false reading, now we have two sensors one on each side, so in inverted another false indication, Oh dear my brain hurts.

Mike
Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Maudib

Hmmm... the timer int he radio always seemed to be foolproof to me as far as knowing when the fuel is getting low... and the price was right...

Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
BaldEagel

Hmmmm more, I don't use a timer, I fly until I think I need to land, if it goes dead stick which is not very often then I land it under where its at, I don't streach the glide to reach the landing area, but then I fly in a field without a runway so that would make it easier I suppose, just lots of sheep and feeding troughs which can make it interesting, did you know sheep can jump quite high, don't ask.

Mike
Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
yarom

I noticed that fuel consumption on the DA-50 could very between 1oz a minute to 1oz a minute depending on needle settings, type of pipe, type of flying, prop size, etc. I use to set the timer for 12 minutes on a 14oz. tank and now it does not seem to hold true anymore.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 PM
srxripper
My Feedback: (1)

update, i love the way this plane flys, granted i have some issues, as stated before the stab incidence was off one 3of the four planes at our field, simple fix for all, tail wheel asy the nut and hub asy for the hole were the tail wire goes threw diameter was not correct on two of the four.

and on my plane, which i fly pretty hard all flight control surfaces hinges are coming loose, so over the last couple day i've been tearing off the hinges using SIG X hinges with a full length music wire to easly remove each flight control if i have to repair, the first installation i used 30min epoxy, second round i've been gorilla glue which i've been very happy because the the factory slot are a little wide and dont have a tight fit, the expansion of the glue makes for I think a better install, but excess dry glue needed to be cut away so no binding accures, also i used toothpicks to pin the outer hinges for extra safety

i know i bashing the the plane alittle, but i feel that these are easy QA issues that coud be fix,
but i know for a FACT that these issues are somewhat small and are easy to live with cause of the OUTSTANDING flying carateristics!

thanks rcu
Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM
yarom

You definitely recommend checking and fixing incidence?

I was trying to avoid this and hoped the plane would fly OK...

What do you use as the reference line, the canopy line?

Are both wings and stabs supposed to be at zero?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maudib,
I'm fixing Barry's Yak for him and I may need some of those measurments. I logging some photos if anyone is interested.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 PM
srxripper
My Feedback: (1)

i think with any arf the incidences should be check, just found that 3 out of the 4 at our field were way off, i think anything over 1/2 degree is to much

all i did was zero the the wings and then checked the stab with the elev, thats good enough for me~
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 AM
BaldEagel

To allow easier rigging I have bent up some piano wire pins for the wing attachement with a pushrod quick keeper at the canopy line to fix in position, I have also fixed the washers in position to allow even easier rigging.

Mike

Name:	Jh17207.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	707553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53622.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	707554