Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Thanks Boss. I had a problem with the coupler coming loose.(twice) Something about those screw type hose clamps. Red lock tite (what is there to lock tite on a automotive hose clamp?) did not work. I do think my silicone exhaust hose will hold. Looks like rubber but is supposed to be a high temp hose that will take 1000 degrees. This baby is not slipping off.[>:] or my next move is to wait and order another TPFE coupling setup with the squeeze clamps. I hate waiting.

I finished running my YAk in the driveway today with the new needle settings. Thanks to Frank T. (aka Nogyro) I now have the needles dialed in nicely and got good low end transition,(idles great now- much better) no tach tonight because it was getting dark.....I peaked it and backed off about 200 (by ear) and it feels like it is ever bit as strong as the 7350 rpm I got on the Vess 23A last week. I hope to get through my second gallon this weekend but may not fly until Sunday.

I will work on dialing a throttle curve as I need more room in the middle of my stick. Next order of business is shopping for a trailer, this thing is too sharp to ride in the back of my no topper pickup, it really is at the max for that 6 foot bed.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:54 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

8711 are the same gears as 8611a.

I am using 8611A all the way around, because that is what I have had stashed away. If they get sloppy and they will, I will send them in for replacement and let HH fix them.

You guys yammering on and on about wanting to run unreg'ed li=po voltage can crow all you want about it.....

But, my regulated li-po's will perform BETTER and more CONSISTENT. While your voltage is flucuating and changing the entire time you are flying, and making your stick "feel" change at the same time, my reg'ed li-pos will give me the same "feel" every flight.

Oh...and the weight penalty for consistent smoothness....1.5 oz per reg.

So go ahead, keep crowing about how you are pushing the envelope of the MAnu's Specs and how you getting away with it..

If it fails...who's fault is it, and if someoneis injured...can you live with it??

"I haven;t tried it in a gasser"....why?? Afraid??? Becasue you KNOW it isn't right?? Uh-huh.

Stick to the well known success of popular setups, and experiment away from people on planes that have little value.

A few pages back...Chris said.....enough already, go fly your planes. I came back to the thread to look for something, and here we are flapping our keyboard wings....

I flew my DL-50 DA-50 Chinese COPY powered EF Reject today.........I just might put this Chinese engine that turns 7500 rpm on a 22 x8 in this Chinese made airplane. It drops right in where the DA-50 went on....

Maudib...can you make a DL-50 Logo like DA's but change the name to DONG LING DL-50.....

One of my friends is doing a G-62 on his , also. The G-62 lite is as good as the Poulan Chainsaw 60's you guys got from MN at a premium price. 6700 on 24 x 8 menzS with stock pipe.

RD , how is yours running??

Also, one last thing in my rant , for my friends on this thread.....

IF YOU WANT AN 88" Red YAK .....I know where one is for sale at a local retailer.
Boss, you tell it exactly the way it is, I like that! I'm going to fly my chineese made DL-50 in my chineese made 87'' EF Yak this weekend. I can't wait. It runs like a charm

John
Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

That's thinking out of the box

However, bosshoss makes a good point. For a couple ounces we get good regulated power and consistent servo speed, so why not do that and be happy with what we have... For my kind of flying, I could use abit of extra weight anyhow...

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

ORIGINAL: yarom

OK Dave, here' a question:
If I am using Hitec 5955 all around on a DX7, SmartFly ignition kill, is there any part of the istallation that needs to be regulated. I heard these Hitecs can take 7.4V rather well. I also heard the DX can take the voltage. I will regulate the separate DA ignition to stay around 5.8V. Which throttle servo can I get that will take this voltage as well? IS the whole thing going to buzz like crazy because of the voltage?
ORIGINAL: Maudib
Short answer is... you really can't get away with it... unless you run a 5955 on the throttle too...

Or here is the easiest solution. Run the rx and 5955's on the unregulated power. Then come out of the rx first thing with an MPI regulator (cheap and only one servo load so they can handle it no problem) into the servo leads. The MPI regulators are small, light weight, and have servo connections on both ends.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 AM
olof

Bosshoss so what happens when one of your regulators blows like what happened to me! you loose your plane like what happened to me!
We should all badger servo manufacturers to make them lipo compatible to take out uneccessary equip (regs).
You should respect that everyone has an opinion and aren't given without good reason.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

My point is , if you want to exceed the Manufacturuer ratings on a product, by experimenting, you should do it in a private setting with no spectators, and chance of injury to anyone other than yourself.

This goes with any performance product. It's not fair to the others on the flight line with you, for you to be on the ragged edge of safety while trying something new.

If you opened up the servo, scoped it, found that the internal regulation, if there is some, can handle your input voltage....post the data, and be confident of your findings...

ANd....let the guys on your flight line know that you are experimenting................

When it comes to this plane in particular, as expensive as it is, I bet the experimentation will be kept elsewhere.

Sorry tto hear about your bad reg taking down a plane, I have not had a problem with a Fromeco yet, although anything can fail. You won't find many competing aerobats without regulators anymore....simply for the consistent feel they provide. Redundancy, of course, is an option.

Yes, if the manufacturuers went 7.4 v or 3.7 v things would be easier , maybe someday.....right now, it costs 1.5 oz for consistency in the sticks.

.................................................. .................................................. .............

THis thread has served a great purpose, it has shown that the latest offering from EF can be flown with a variety of engines...from cheap GPU's (general purpose units) , to fancy modified ones, to thoroughbred race engines. The only difference is , in the hype , the cost, the loyality, ,.,.....this plane is a true chameleon. And there is not ONE motor amongst them that is more perfect for it.....the benchmark of a chameleon.

I would like to see , as well as a few people I know building thier Yaks, to see this thread cleaned and stickied, with all the tips from everyone, in one place. Te RCUsearch engine is lacking...and there is a lot of great info from more than a few people here that could help others make thier 88's the best they can be.

I ,as well as few of my friends are drooling for the 88 Extra.....it ought to be the same level of greatness.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
spodboy

did someone say they're doing a build thread on the new ef 88" yak,
where, who, what!!!!!!
awwww,[&o] did i fall asleep again.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

spodboy
Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

got my comfirmation from chris... i am on the list for next batch....
unrelated, i just got this pic sent to me, thought i'd share it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50176.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	653515  
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: olof

Bosshoss so what happens when one of your regulators blows like what happened to me! you loose your plane like what happened to me!
We should all badger servo manufacturers to make them lipo compatible to take out uneccessary equip (regs).
You should respect that everyone has an opinion and aren't given without good reason.
Olof, what brand of regulator failed for you, what was the brand of battery and the setup

thank you

John
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

A few pages back...Chris said.....enough already, go fly your planes. I came back to the thread to look for something, and here we are flapping our keyboard wings....

I flew my DL-50 DA-50 Chinese COPY powered EF Reject today.........I just might put this Chinese engine that turns 7500 rpm on a 22 x8 in this Chinese made airplane. It drops right in where the DA-50 went on....

Maudib...can you make a DL-50 Logo like DA's but change the name to DONG LING DL-50.....

One of my friends is doing a G-62 on his , also. The G-62 lite is as good as the Poulan Chainsaw 60's you guys got from MN at a premium price. 6700 on 24 x 8 menzS with stock pipe.

RD , how is yours running??

Also, one last thing in my rant , for my friends on this thread.....

IF YOU WANT AN 88" Red YAK .....I know where one is for sale at a local retailer.

Attitude much?

DL sounds strong for sure... but will be nice to see how it's doing after 20+ gallons and we find out if it ever gets some true support

As far as the Poulan 60 comment... might want to get your facts straight about that one

Always love when someone comes into a good friendly thread with some useless bashing and a bunch of attitude

Old 03-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

O.K. guys... we're sliding off topic... and getting into debate land...

I think the discussion on whether a fella could run unregulated has been cover in detail... Let's not start bringing in engine debates, etc... there are plenty of threads regarding the various engine brands out there.

Let's all focus back on the builds...

Old 03-31-2007, 11:08 AM
olof

jrjohn,

The plane was a Fliton Extra Freestyle and the reg was one by JP I don't know if you have the same brand name in the states, what happened was that one of the leads from the reg came loose. I bought another Fliton because they fly so well and in an effort to keep the weight minimal I wanted to stay with lipos but didn't trust regs, so after extensive research here on RCU which brought up some interesting results I flew the plane reg free on 2s lipo. I have not regretted it. I fly the plane hard 3d and not a single problem, for over a year now. Saying this I wouldn't take the risk on a bigger plane where weight was not critical, also I have no idea if digital servos are more sensitive to higher voltage. I think my problem was maybe a one off rareity but it proves the point that you think you're belt and braces but still s**t happens.

I to am waiting to see the new EF Extra 88, I just keep waiting, and waiting, and on and on.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:10 PM

Got about 6 more flights on the G-62/E-Composites powered EF Yak today. On landings I kept trying to go slower and slower on approach into a 10 mph wind that all were just about harrier landings in normal attitude. I am saying that the forward speed was so slow it rolled less than 12 inches after touch down on one ocassion.

G-62 is running like a champ with great idle and smooth transition. Still having trouble with the engine coming on hard the last 1/4 throttle on top end but there still is ample oomph in the middle.

The Vess 23A held solid on 7800 rpm (no typo here guys) after 5 seconds and my helper was struggling to hold er down.

The only deadstick was the last flight where I forgot to set my timer and ran the tank dry, I am guessing it was 15 to 20 minutes on 20 oz of 100 octane with break in oil.

Now for the worrysome part. The last few flights I worked the controls hard with constant high alpha rolling circles inverted snaps and mostly stick bashing as lower airspeeds. When my FAUP 1950 was checked on the ground it was down to 6.05 (came back to 6.24 when cooled) so I decided to take it out and put in a fresh one. The battery was warm to the touch.

On further inspection the battery was at 110 degrees with the IR temp guage, my Hitec 5955 (Edit-on Rudder)was at 114 and my receiver at 108. Outside air temp at 77 degrees. I shot the aileron servos and got 85 degrees each. None of the servo wiring was hot or even warm. The 1200 6v ignition battery felt slightly warm and tested at 90 degrees (mounted on top of fuel tank).

Any of your guys ever temp your equiptment after a hard session of flight? It is curious and I never though of it this way and actually have never had the ocassion to take a battery out of any of my other planes so wonder if warm is normal. Again, the last 3 flights were in quick succession, they were very brisk on medium and high rates and the last flight in particular was for the entire tank of fuel and involved lots of high alpha rollers etc.

I might be bias but think my red yak was the sharpest looking plane on the field today.

Richard
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 PM

As an afterthought the one thing different on this plane is that I have sealed up the hole in the firewall to mount my G-62. Even if the firewall still had the hole the air would not have anywhere to go to cool the compartment.

R
Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Whirlyspud

Was there ever any verdict on the motor mount lengths and how far the prop should be in front of the louvers. 2.5, or 3in mounts?

Mike
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: rdb127

Now for the worrysome part. The last few flights I worked the controls hard with constant high alpha rolling circles inverted snaps and mostly stick bashing as lower airspeeds. When my FAUP 1950 was checked on the ground it was down to 6.05 (came back to 6.24 when cooled) so I decided to take it out and put in a fresh one. The battery was warm to the touch.

On further inspection the battery was at 110 degrees with the IR temp guage, my Hitec 5955 (Edit-on Rudder)was at 114 and my receiver at 108. Outside air temp at 77 degrees. I shot the aileron servos and got 85 degrees each. None of the servo wiring was hot or even warm. The 1200 6v ignition battery felt slightly warm and tested at 90 degrees (mounted on top of fuel tank).

Any of your guys ever temp your equiptment after a hard session of flight? It is curious and I never though of it this way and actually have never had the ocassion to take a battery out of any of my other planes so wonder if warm is normal. Again, the last 3 flights were in quick succession, they were very brisk on medium and high rates and the last flight in particular was for the entire tank of fuel and involved lots of high alpha rollers etc.

Richard
Actually I have checked my servos and packs but not with a temp gun..The one time I checked was after a 10 min flight and my servos and batteries were not even warm..Im using 2 1400 nimh rx packs..

I got about 5 more flights in today as well..my B60 (premium priced Poulan chainsaw engine ) ran excellent..I took a temp reading after my last flight and the head read 230 and the muffler was 240..not exactly scientific but enough to let me know things are being cooled enough...Got my throttle curve down as well
Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Whirlyspud

Was there ever any verdict on the motor mount lengths and how far the prop should be in front of the louvers. 2.5, or 3in mounts?

Mike
I'm still waiting for my custom 3'' mounts and back washers to be built. I went to the machinists house last night, he's definatly goofy thats for sure. I have a feeling he's drinking again. As soon as I get them, I'll post pictures and my results.

John

Bosshoss for president!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Bosshossv8

Sorry guys I had to go off.....this thread reads like a novel........

Josey, good to know ,the louvres are not making it over heat. Did you mount your spats offset like the manual?? I really want to make mine center, they dont look right to me offset.

RD, 7800 on a 23inch..... WOW....go to the 24 and fall in love.

Whirly, I flew today, after we fertilized the field with three spreaders today. 88 maiden day soon.....You , 3dK, 727Captain,and me.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Josey Wales

Josey, good to know ,the louvres are not making it over heat.
Actually I'm not using the louvers..this way I can reach through the front and choke the motor without any linkage

Did you mount your spats offset like the manual?? I really want to make mine center, they dont look right to me offset.

didnt even bother..Where I fly they wouldn't last too long due to the high thick grass..
Old 03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
cwhite

Well, I got my replacement Fuse in Thursday and the UPS monkeys didn't destroy this one! I've hinged all of the surfaces and have started installing the electronics. Only thing I have left to get is the Brillelli 60 and he didn't think he would get it done til Friday. I'm kinda nervous about the Brillelli since I haven't heard much about them. How do they start and how reliable have they been compared to the DA 50? I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:04 PM
flat spin

Yak 54 with DA and MTW tuned pipe. Very windy day in England. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3XWeAKDXA
Old 03-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: cwhite

Only thing I have left to get is the Brillelli 60 and he didn't think he would get it done til Friday. I'm kinda nervous about the Brillelli since I haven't heard much about them. How do they start and how reliable have they been compared to the DA 50? I'm sure it will be fine.
Don't even give it a second thought..I had 2 DA 50's..the B60 starts just as easy and IMO run better than both of my DA's did...Scott ranks up there with DA as far as customer service and if necessary, he will help you out on the weekends as well!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: flat spin

Yak 54 with DA and MTW tuned pipe. Very windy day in England. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3XWeAKDXA
Now thats a guy having fun! Flat Spin makes a pretty strong case for running a DA or DL-50.
Spin, what does your plane weigh?

John
Old 03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Bosshossv8

15 - 20 mph gale ....WOW.

THats thumbing your nose at the wind and having a blast!!!!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I would like to see RD's Zenoah powered Yak put through it paces......I want to see a 24 x 8 prop ripping and flipping this bird in NO Wind. THat's the setup I really want.

It wont be long before someone beefs on up to take a DA-85. Did you catch the tumbling line he did in the video becasue the wind was pushing him....too cool....to do it that fast in no wind , you would need a lot more power.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM

So I did a little test just now. I let the ariplane sit for a few hours in the cradle (in the house) so it was totally cold. Baseline reading is 75 degrees plus or minus 1 degree in the radio bay. Every component starts at the same temp.

Then I ran my Futaba 9CAP in servo test mode for 20 min. I ran my Atomik Micro Temp gun around each component to find the highest temp it would read.

Aileron servos 88 .0 & 83.8

Elevator servos 82.7 & 83.2

Rudder Servo 103.4

Receiver 80.0

Battery 78.0

Battery harness 77.4

Futaba TX Module 94.0

The Hitec 5945's on the wings and elevator came out of my 85 inch Extra and had over 35 flight hours on them with no performance problems. The 5955 on the rudder is brand new.

Now I know that this test did not put the same loads as flight and that is probably why the battery did not get warm at all. I will have to go with the assumption that this afternoon's flights were more hard on the system than I have put on any other plane. It flys so easy that you are working one maneuver right after the next and so on that level flight was mostly on approach to landing.

Now if one of you guys could do the same test and the rudder servo was as cold as the others I might concern with a hot servo issue. I have never looked at any airplane this way so I am in unguarded territory.

Wouldn't it be cool to come up with some NACA style air scoups to put on the fuse and ram air in on the electrionics. I always wanted to use one of those scoops for one reason on another but have never seen one small enough for a RC plane.

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.