Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6m Q's/Build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6m Q's/Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6m Q's/Build

Paul,

I feel for ya, but it's "bite the bullet" time.

Every configuration has it's supporters and detractors, every system has it's supporters and detractors, every brand has it's supporters and detractors.

See where I'm going???

You're just going to have to spend some time doing research and evaluate the options available, and there are a LOT of them. The big advantage you have now over even three years ago is the vast amount of knowledge and experience reports available via the Internet. Of course that too has it's hazards, as there are lots of folks who post and it's up to you to decide who's opinion or experience is valid and applicable to your model/preferences.

JMHO....
Old 02-02-2008, 03:37 AM
WinginIt
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the B&B Fuel Tank which explains the fuel lines.
http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page5.htm

I agree with Zeeb that at some point you have to dive in and just do it. I tend to use SmartFly, Fromeco and SWB mainly because I have had experience with them and feel comfortable with them. In most cases it is like the difference between Futaba and JR. They both will do the job; it’s just a personal preference.

My buddy first brought these Comp-Arf’s to my attention and we each purchased one of these 2.6m birds. Soon after we purchased them we became concerned about weight because of what we were reading about other’s AUW. Even though Comp-Arf had been saying that these planes should come in at around 24 or 25lbs, we had not read of anybody achieving this. More and more we found them coming in at around 29 or 30lbs. It was for this reason that we decided to have ours professionally built. With the 3 of us in on every decision on the builds, I think we came up with a good combination without sacrificing any integrity and was happy when the results were that we came in at just over 27lbs. These planes fly sooooooo much better when they are lighter.

One of the decisions was if we would be comfortable with 1 servo per wing and after much discussion, reading and some testing we decided that as stiff as these ailerons are 2 per wing is somewhat overkill. These ailerons just do not flex! Anyway, considering also that this saves almost half a pound in weight (2 servos, 2 match boxes or equivalent, wire) and absolutely no loss of performance, and after lots of flights now, we have been very happy with this decision.

But….. Your plane is yours and you have to read opinions like this and make up your own mind.

As far as electrical goes, my friend and I went slightly different routes. But… the simplicity of it is that you should have 2 batteries feeding into either one regulator each or one regulator with 2 inputs, and then feed the 2 outputs (I set mine to 6v outputs) to either a power distributor of some kind (which helps keep the volts/amps equal to each servo) or just plug both outputs directly into your receiver (if you are using a good receiver that can handle the 6v). I have 2 - 35% planes. One has a power expander and one does not. They both fly and work great.

Good luck on making these decisions.
Doug
Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Doug,
I'm assuming you put each single ail servo in the INNERMOST bay, correct?
You've got me really thinking hard about this.
Are you also using only ONE single 5955/8711 on the rudder as well? I will check around to see if you've already posted that info.
Man, how I'd love to only use one ail servo per wing. I just don't know if my nerves could take it!
I wonder if there are ANY 35% planes out there, which ONLY call one ail servo per wing (factory recommended?)?????
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
WinginIt

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Doug,
I'm assuming you put each single ail servo in the INNERMOST bay, correct?
You've got me really thinking hard about this.
Are you also using only ONE single 5955/8711 on the rudder as well? I will check around to see if you've already posted that info.
Man, how I'd love to only use one ail servo per wing. I just don't know if my nerves could take it!
I wonder if there are ANY 35% planes out there, which ONLY call one ail servo per wing (factory recommended?)?????
Yes the 5955 is on the inner most bay and we have had no issues with this setup. You can also see in the pic (pg 7) how we used both horns with a ball link attached between (BTW: that is a 3" link in the pic). We have found others doing this also and have not heard of any issues with them either.

NOTE: Do not use a ball link on one horn as it could twist the horn enough to snap it. Only use clevises with one horn as we did on our elevators where each has one horn attached.

As far as the rudder, I am using the SWB 2X self adjusting rudder tray, which again eliminates a match box or programing, with 2 - 5985s (might have used 5955s here also but I had the 5985s already).

Another thing we were concerned about was that this plane seems to build a little tail heavy so we mounted everything as far forward as possible. My rudder tray, which you can see a little of in one of my pics on pg 7, is as far forward as possible. Even with all this I still mounted my batts against the slanted part of the firewall to get even more weight to the front. After all this the CG was at 41/4" to 41/2" which showed a little tail heavy, but after flying it I really like it there.

Doug
Old 02-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Paul Cataldo

Well guys,
I finally got my 2.6 Yellow Kiwi 260 today. FedEx tracking info had said it was to be delivered yesterday, on 2/1, but it did not show. I called FedEx Friday night (last night), and they told me it was to be delivered today, Saturday.
SO, this morning I was expecting a call saying that my plane was to be delivered sometime today. Instead however, I received a call from FedEx this morning about about 11am, only to have them tell me "all the drivers have gone home for the day". ***??
Anyhow, they said I could come pick up the pkg, and off I went. I suppose this was a good thing, as I later found out that I would have had to SIGN for the package if they had delivered to my house. That would NOT have worked, because I am a working man, just like the rest of the world, and there is just no way I would have been able to take off work just to sign for a model airplane. My company just wouldn't have seen this as a good excuse for taking a full day off work. (FedEx claims they cannot setup an exact timeframe to deliver, so you must be home all day, until pkg arrives). SO, the fact that I had to go get the pkg on Sat worked out well.
However, there were things that did not go so well.
I am not going to sit here and bash anyones product, so I will just say that I cannot accept this plane. There are cosmetic issues, and they are a little more serious than just the normal minor scratching and runs in the paint.
The GOOD news is that my rep Andy Kane fully understands, and he has told me that all I have to do is send the plane back, for my full refund.
I really was hoping my plane would be flawless, just like the very first Comp Arf plane I bought about 3-4 years ago (2.6m Yak). That Yak was flawless, and the paint was awesome, as well as the wings, stabs, etc.
I will say that thus far, I'm 110% completely satisfied with my Rep Andy Kane. He has been great on the phone with me today, and he laid out all my options, and said HE is going to make this RIGHT, whether it be full refund, exchange of parts, or exchange of plane.
I want to take a minute to THANK Andy for his help, and for his excellent customer service thus far. He has made sure that I am going to be taken care of, and that is all that matters here.
I can realize sometimes these things can happen in a manufacturing/production environment, and good cusomter service is what makes a company.
Thank you Andy Kane.

Finally, they called me this morning, only to let me know all the drivers had ALREADY gone home
Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 AM
WinginIt

Well guys,
I finally got my 2.6 Yellow Kiwi 260 today. FedEx tracking info had said it was to be delivered yesterday, on 2/1, but it did not show. I called FedEx Friday night (last night), and they told me it was to be delivered today, Saturday.
SO, this morning I was expecting a call saying that my plane was to be delivered sometime today. Instead however, I received a call from FedEx this morning about about 11am, only to have them tell me "all the drivers have gone home for the day". ***??
Anyhow, they said I could come pick up the pkg, and off I went. I suppose this was a good thing, as I later found out that I would have had to SIGN for the package if they had delivered to my house. That would NOT have worked, because I am a working man, just like the rest of the world, and there is just no way I would have been able to take off work just to sign for a model airplane. My company just wouldn't have seen this as a good excuse for taking a full day off work. (FedEx claims they cannot setup an exact timeframe to deliver, so you must be home all day, until pkg arrives). SO, the fact that I had to go get the pkg on Sat worked out well.
However, there were things that did not go so well.
I am not going to sit here and bash anyones product, so I will just say that I cannot accept this plane. There are cosmetic issues, and they are a little more serious than just the normal minor scratching and runs in the paint.
The GOOD news is that my rep Andy Kane fully understands, and he has told me that all I have to do is send the plane back, for my full refund.
I really was hoping my plane would be flawless, just like the very first Comp Arf plane I bought about 3-4 years ago (2.6m Yak). That Yak was flawless, and the paint was awesome, as well as the wings, stabs, etc.
I will say that thus far, I'm 110% completely satisfied with my Rep Andy Kane. He has been great on the phone with me today, and he laid out all my options, and said HE is going to make this RIGHT, whether it be full refund, exchange of parts, or exchange of plane.
I want to take a minute to THANK Andy for his help, and for his excellent customer service thus far. He has made sure that I am going to be taken care of, and that is all that matters here.
I can realize sometimes these things can happen in a manufacturing/production environment, and good cusomter service is what makes a company.
Thank you Andy Kane.

Finally, they called me this morning, only to let me know all the drivers had ALREADY gone home
Sorry to hear that, Paul.
Were the issues only with the paint or were there others? That has to suck when you wait so long for one of these. Would you be able to post some pics?
Doug
Old 02-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Paul Cataldo

I have pics but not ready to post. They are on a buddies camera right now.
Anyhow, I want to know if anyone here has had to return ship a plane back to Comp Arf?
I'm very curious to know if Comp Arf is going to pay for the return shipping, as I sure as heck cannot afford it. My rep is speaking as if everything is fine, and they are going to correct the problem, and refund my full price paid, and they should pay for shipping, but we'll see what happens. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. My rep really has been a great guy about it, so we'll see.
I sure hope this works out and they do me right.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your glitch, I had a similar experience with FedEx begining with them losing it for 4 days then not wanting to deliver it for several more as it was right before Thanksgiving. However when I got it home and opened it up, everything but the fuselage joint line is very nicely done.

My dealings with Andy have all been good and he's got a great reputation around here. One of my buddies actually returned a model he wasn't happy with and got a replacement via Andy, but I wasn't privy to the exact details other than my buddy re-boxed the model and sent it to an address Andy gave him.

No mention of who paid what shipping costs was made to me about it and although this guy is reasonably well off, I think he would have said something if he felt there was an issue. That said, shipping is one of those things that are part of the process and in my dealings with various vendors, I've only had one who bit the bullet for shipping an incorrect part and that was for two day air. Surprised the h*ll out of me even though I'd asked for a reimbursement of those charges.

Let us know what you wind up with and how they handle your complaint?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Paul Cataldo

Yes, I will do. I hope Comp Arf does not think I'm going to be able to afford the bill to return ship the plane. I don't think they will, as they seem reasonable, and surely they can't expect me to pay for mistakes that were not mine, and damage that I am not responsible for.
Anyhow, I will keep you guys updated, as I'm waiting to hear back from Andy now. As I said before, thus far, Andy has been great, and he says he will take care of it, and do what it takes to make me happy. I'll keep everyone updated.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM
WinginIt

I have pics but not ready to post. They are on a buddies camera right now.
Anyhow, I want to know if anyone here has had to return ship a plane back to Comp Arf?
I'm very curious to know if Comp Arf is going to pay for the return shipping, as I sure as heck cannot afford it. My rep is speaking as if everything is fine, and they are going to correct the problem, and refund my full price paid, and they should pay for shipping, but we'll see what happens. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. My rep really has been a great guy about it, so we'll see.
I sure hope this works out and they do me right.
Normally in a situation like this the seller will send (via email or snail male) a return label (FedEx or UPS) and you can have it picked up from your home. I wish you the best and hope you keep us posted. Looking forward to the pics.
Doug
Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Paul Cataldo

Oh thank the Good Lord you said that.
I HOPE so, as I really cannot afford to ship this thing back, MUCH LESS take an entire day off work (which is what I would have to do), in order to deliver it back for shipping.
Oh how I hope this works out ok. I'm hoping it will guys. Thanks so much for the comforting comments. We'll see how it goes, and I will keep everyone posted.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
pgrose110
My Feedback: (25)

Hi Paul;

I built my Comp arf 300SX and 260 early last year and have enjoyed them tremendously. I am using one 8711 per wing and believe that this is more than adequate for IMAC routines. On the 260, for the rudder I am using two 8711s in the balsa tray provided, and these are all the way forward. As others have said, the 260 is tail heavy. I have cans on my DA100 so they provide some additional weight ahead of the CG. I also put one of the TBM 5400mah receiver packs in the motor bay. I use a 10 channel receiver and therefore have no need for a power expander. Also, no additional weight. I also used the Aircraft International switches with built in regulators for additional weight savings. The only other suggestion I have is to use a carbon fiber wing tube. You pick up a few ounces and your 260 will appreciate it on the up lines.

Regarding the cans, I bought the set that Comp arf sold for the 330 and 300 under the impression that they would work on the 260. I ended up having to reduce the drop on the headers so that they cleared the cowl. Not a big deal but something I had not planned.
Good luck with your build and remember, build it light.
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: pgrose110

Hi Paul;

I built my Comp arf 300SX and 260 early last year and have enjoyed them tremendously. I am using one 8711 per wing and believe that this is more than adequate for IMAC routines. On the 260, for the rudder I am using two 8711s in the balsa tray provided, and these are all the way forward. As others have said, the 260 is tail heavy. I have cans on my DA100 so they provide some additional weight ahead of the CG. I also put one of the TBM 5400mah receiver packs in the motor bay. I use a 10 channel receiver and therefore have no need for a power expander. Also, no additional weight. I also used the Aircraft International switches with built in regulators for additional weight savings. The only other suggestion I have is to use a carbon fiber wing tube. You pick up a few ounces and your 260 will appreciate it on the up lines.

Regarding the cans, I bought the set that Comp arf sold for the 330 and 300 under the impression that they would work on the 260. I ended up having to reduce the drop on the headers so that they cleared the cowl. Not a big deal but something I had not planned.
Good luck with your build and remember, build it light.

Keep a close eye on that servo tray, mine broke and I added additional re-inforcement to it. I was running dual 8711's in mine as well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48808.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	869606  
Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Paul Cataldo

Yeah, no way would I ever use that stock servo tray.
Build one out of C/F, or add some Tri-Stock supports, or SOMETHING.
Even if it doesn't break, they flex like crazy. Been doing it for years.

Have most of you guys added bearings/bushings to your rudder/elevator hinges? Sure is a nice mod that really helps with wear over time.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
WinginIt

Yeah, no way would I ever use that stock servo tray.
Build one out of C/F, or add some Tri-Stock supports, or SOMETHING.
Even if it doesn't break, they flex like crazy. Been doing it for years.

Have most of you guys added bearings/bushings to your rudder/elevator hinges? Sure is a nice mod that really helps with wear over time.
I am a firm believer in the SWB trays. I love the "self adjusting" one. It will continue to work even if one servo quits working and no need to match them.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
WinginIt

Paul,
Any update on your plane situation?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Paul Cataldo

Well,
I finally was able to take off work and drive through traffic to take the pkg back for delivery.
After talking to 5-6 different FedEx employees and getting 5-6 different stories, I finally found out where to take this pkg. The problem was that it was originally shipped FedEx GROUND, but the dimensions of the box demanded it go FedEx FREIGHT. What a pain. I was finally able to convince a shipping manager at one of the FedEx locations to take the pkg and ship it for me, ONLY because they saw it had originally went FedEx Ground in the first place.
They were NOT really liking the fact that the value was $1500, but they took it.
Anyhow, it is scheduled for delivery either today or Monday. When it originally came to me, the tracking info said it was also scheduled for delivery on SAT, but I called and the lazy drivers had gone home at 11am on Sat morning, so I had to go pick it up.
SO, I have no idea if it's going to be delivered back to Andy Kane's house TODAY, or MONDAY.???
I have been told that it's going to take up to a WEEK or more for my refund to be given to me, once the pkg does arrive.
SO, it's been a real unfortunate process, and I guarantee you that none of you want to go through this situation.
I am hoping and praying it won't take too long to get my refund.
At least Comp Arf is telling me that my refund WILL be given, and so I shouldn't have any problems, so I hope. We will see.
Let me just say that I am in no way blaming Comp ARf for FedEx's hiring of idiot employees...
Old 02-09-2008, 12:27 PM
WinginIt

Well,
I finally was able to take off work and drive through traffic to take the pkg back for delivery.
After talking to 5-6 different FedEx employees and getting 5-6 different stories, I finally found out where to take this pkg. The problem was that it was originally shipped FedEx GROUND, but the dimensions of the box demanded it go FedEx FREIGHT. What a pain. I was finally able to convince a shipping manager at one of the FedEx locations to take the pkg and ship it for me, ONLY because they saw it had originally went FedEx Ground in the first place.
They were NOT really liking the fact that the value was $1500, but they took it.
Anyhow, it is scheduled for delivery either today or Monday. When it originally came to me, the tracking info said it was also scheduled for delivery on SAT, but I called and the lazy drivers had gone home at 11am on Sat morning, so I had to go pick it up.
SO, I have no idea if it's going to be delivered back to Andy Kane's house TODAY, or MONDAY.???
I have been told that it's going to take up to a WEEK or more for my refund to be given to me, once the pkg does arrive.
SO, it's been a real unfortunate process, and I guarantee you that none of you want to go through this situation.
I am hoping and praying it won't take too long to get my refund.
At least Comp Arf is telling me that my refund WILL be given, and so I shouldn't have any problems, so I hope. We will see.
Let me just say that I am in no way blaming Comp ARf for FedEx's hiring of idiot employees...
Did you end up having to pay for the return shipping?
Doug
Old 02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Paul Cataldo

No,
I did not have to pay for return shipping. I thought I mentioned earlier that Andy Kane did give me a FedEx account # to send the plane back with.
The losses I have sustained, are with having to take a 1/2 day off work to go deliver this package for return shipping, and the gas money I spent in driving 1 hour to return it.
As I said, I thought I mentioned this earlier, but IF I did not, then my mistake.
If it doesn't take weeks to get my refund, then I will be completely happy with Comp Arf's return policy.
The only reason I'm worried about it taking a long time to get a refund, is because I've asked numerous times on how long it will take, and they've basically hinted around the fact that it might take a week or more. I don't really see why my refund should not be issued immediately after pkg is delivered back to them, but maybe it possibly takes that long with the banks/financial institutions?
Dunno, but what I DO know, is that I've sent firearms, and other high dollar items back in the past to other companies, and my refunds were almost instant.
Maybe it has something to do with Comp Arf being out of the country? Not sure. What I DO know is that it only took about 24 hrs for them to RECEIVE my payment. I think it shipped the day after I paid them with my CC, so I know it didn't take THAT long for my funds to clear when I PAID them.
Why would it take LONGER for them to REFUND my payment???
This is all speculation right now, until I see how long it actually takes to get my refund issued. Maybe it won't take that long after all?
We shall see. As for now, I must give them the benefit of the doubt, and keep my hopes up.
As it stands now, I'm satisfied with Comp Arf's customer service.
One thing I am NOT satisfied with, is the QC department that lets sub-par paint jobs leave the factory.
There should not be ANY of us with bad paint jobs on our Yellow Kiwi 260's (OR any other planes for that matter).
For the price we pay, this just shouldn't happen. I have very little experience painting myself, and I could paint a perfect paint job if I took my time.
Too many people try to say that because a plane is eventually going to develop some kind of hangar rash, it's ok for these companies to send us sub-par paint jobs.
IF Comp Arf would make a few upgrades to their kits, and IF they would pay more attention to fit/finish, then they would have the ultimate ARF's available.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
WinginIt

I bought an unpainted one but have seen a Yak from them and the paint is in the mold so it was perfect. I thought all their planes were. Am I wrong? Was your's painted?
Doug
Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Paul Cataldo

No, as I understand it, all their planes ARE painted in the mold (although many have suggested that some of the checkering on the Yellow Kiwis is NOT done in the mold), but even though they are painted in the mold, there is still problems.
Even my Comp Arf rep told me that sometimes bleeding can occur, and he even seemed to think that BECAUSE they are painted in the mold, problems can occur. The epoxy does not always soak up all the paint, and there can be runs or bleeding.
I've seen many a nice paint job from CA, but I've also seen many a messed up paint job from them. Messed up can mean many things, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's not at least close to perfect, its unacceptable. You know, for this kind of $$, most guys want it RIGHT.
As I said, some of these planes really do look great.

UPDATE:
Andy Kane just emailed me and he has received my plane, and he forwarded an email to me that he sent "Melanie" (Comp Arf employee I presume?) and he has informed her to begin processing my refund.
We'll see how long it takes. I'm hoping not TOO long.
I'm completely satisfied thus far with the way they have handled it.
I added a LOT of paper inside the box, on return shipment, to take up that incredibly large "open space" inside the box, which allowed the stabs and rudder to just bounce around inside the box. They are inside the protective bags, but you just don't want ANYTHING moving around.
Andy Kane complimented me on my packing job, and I replied that Comp Arf should start adding packing paper to take up the open air space in their boxes.
Also, I mentioned that Aeroworks is shipping planes with thin plywood on the exterior of their boxes, which GREATLY reduces the chances of punctures getting to your plane. I think just about EVERY Comp Arf plane that has ever been delivered has had a puncture hole or two in the box. SO, a plywood protective exterior like Aeroworks is now using, would be a HUGE improvement to ANY manuf's packaging process. We'll see if Comp Arf takes heed.
As of now, I would not hesitate to give Comp Arf my business again, and I just might do so here in the near future. We'll see...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 PM
WinginIt

So Paul.... What are your plans now for a plane? I guess you are not going to replace yours with another Comp Arf since you are getting a refund?

I just love mine. It flies soooooo great.

Doug
Old 02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Paul Cataldo

Well, we are currently thinking about going to a 40%, (myself and brother together).
As for a smaller plane, I've gone with an Aeroworks 75cc 260. I just had to have that plane, regardless of what happened with this one.
The DA-85 is so close in power to the DA100 (I've read only 5% less power), and AW's is putting out some sweet planes...
We'll see what happens. Unfortunately, I've got to figure out something for a trailer eventually. Even the 33% planes are a pain without a trailer. My truck really sucks with a toolbox in the back. It's a must for my work, but gets in the way for R/C use...
How do you guys transport your 2.6m planes or even your 33%ers???
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
WinginIt

Well, we are currently thinking about going to a 40%, (myself and brother together).
As for a smaller plane, I've gone with an Aeroworks 75cc 260. I just had to have that plane, regardless of what happened with this one.
The DA-85 is so close in power to the DA100 (I've read only 5% less power), and AW's is putting out some sweet planes...
We'll see what happens. Unfortunately, I've got to figure out something for a trailer eventually. Even the 33% planes are a pain without a trailer. My truck really sucks with a toolbox in the back. It's a must for my work, but gets in the way for R/C use...
How do you guys transport your 2.6m planes or even your 33%ers???
I bought a 93 Merc mini van and took out all the rear seats. I only have about $2000 in it so it is not much more than a trailer would be. I use it mainly for my planes but use it for other things as well. My 35% planes fit easily into it (1 at a time of course). It is the main reason I am not going to a 40% even though I would love to.
Doug
Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Paul Cataldo

I was thinking of buying a used cargo trailer. I typically see them for anywhere from $800-$1200, and up, but you can easily find one for less than $1000 if you look.
Heck, I've seen some new for less than $1000, but they are a little on the small side...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.