Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Servo Arms for 25% 3D Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Servo Arms for 25% 3D Plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:42 PM
cpreinfalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Arms for 25% 3D Plane

I'm building a 25% (50cc) size 3D aerobatic plane and I'm looking for long aluminum servo arms for the Hitec servos I'm putting in. All I can find are the dubro heavy duty servo arms. I bought them and they're fine to test the plane and stuff, but they definitely are not long enough to give me 3D throws. I got a pull pull system for the rudder, but even on the narrowest possible setting on the rudder side, I won't get more than about 30 degrees throw.

Can anybody tell me where I can buy long aluminum servo arms for Hitec servos (online)?

Thank you!
Old 10-31-2008, 03:46 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Servo Arms for 25% 3D Plane

Go for the Airwild, MPI, or SWB arms. These will give you all the throw you need. Remember the longer the servo arm the more reduced the servo power. Here is one source to get your arms:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/newsi...servoarms.html

There is a lot you should do different when building a bigger plane; if you have questions please ask! Too much knowledge out there to be unsure on a first larger setup.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're setting up right you shouldn't require anything longer than 1-1/8". More than that and you're doing something wrong at one end or the other. The arms that come with Hitec digital servos would work nicely for you. Perhaps you might try contacting Hitec and attempt to obtain some, or talk a friend out of any they might not be using.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM
cpreinfalk

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

Go for the Airwild, MPI, or SWB arms. These will give you all the throw you need. Remember the longer the servo arm the more reduced the servo power. Here is one source to get your arms:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/newsi...servoarms.html

There is a lot you should do different when building a bigger plane; if you have questions please ask! Too much knowledge out there to be unsure on a first larger setup.
Thank you! I submitted my order.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 PM
cpreinfalk

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

If you're setting up right you shouldn't require anything longer than 1-1/8". More than that and you're doing something wrong at one end or the other. The arms that come with Hitec digital servos would work nicely for you. Perhaps you might try contacting Hitec and attempt to obtain some, or talk a friend out of any they might not be using.
I thought about it for the ailerons and elevators, and I guess what you're saying is that I just should shorten the length of the control surface horns. I guess that's true, and I'll do that. However, the rudder horns are an 1-3/4" long and can't be shortened. There's this cone that bolts on and pretty much dictates the distance to be that long. In order to match that on the servo side, I'll have have to get a servo arm that has the same length. They have 3" and 4" ones, so I ordered the 4" one. It has several holes, so I can do the 1-3/4" distance on the horn as well (for a total width of 3-1/2").

Thanks for the tip, as I was gonna buy new horns for each surface, but that's not necessary (other than the rudder).