RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/)
-   -   50cc Reactor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-3d-aerobatic-110/7903993-50cc-reactor.html)

Barry Cazier 08-31-2008 12:39 AM

50cc Reactor

:)Whoa!!!!
Look at this baby! http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1420-manual.pdf
This should really prove interesting. The price is super. The wing area is the best in class. And the performance series from Great Planes are some of the nicest build planes on the market. This should really be a winner.
Thanks
Barry

sevans16 08-31-2008 01:43 AM

RE: 50cc Reactor

I agree with all you have said. I had the Yak, I have the Sukhoi and just bought the Edge. Now this baby comes out!! Should be a 3D monster. I had the 46-70 size and it was sweet with an electric setup in it.

By the way here is another thread on this bird!! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7830575/tm.htm

Barry Cazier 08-31-2008 10:16 AM

:)I had the CAP, it was a really well built plane. I'm gonna order one of these. The manual says with a DA50 it weighs exactly 16lbs. That will be a very competitive weight. I love the look of the thing. I'm pretty excited.
Thanks
Barry

Barry Cazier 09-02-2008 03:08 PM

:)Well...I just ordered one of these, sooooooooooooo I guess I'll be the ginny pig. It should ship the last part of September. I'm gonna but a DA50R on it that I have laying around and the new HiTec HS7955 servos on all surfaces except the throttle. I expect it to be a 3D monster and super fun to fly. If the weight comes in at the stated 16lbs I'll be good even at the high elevation I fly in. The only two gas planes I've had that are lighter than that are my AirWild Extra and my GP CAP 27%. (14lbs 14ozs and 13lbs 4ozs) Most of my 50CC planes have been in the 16-17lbs range with the exception of my Aeroworks Yak which is 18+ lbs. I need the lighter weight. Hopefully this plane will provide the light weight with a fun airframe. Looks like fun to me.
Thanks
Barry

Rush7 09-02-2008 07:52 PM

Nice looking bird. You would think that they would have designed a 50cc with just one servo per alieron instead of the two.
I would like to hear a report on this bird when you get it Barry.
To me there were things that I liked and things that I didn't.

The two servos per alieron is a little much to me. The push pull setup on the rudder with that type of control horn looked to be a weak point. I think that I would try and setup some type of pull pull system on it if I could.
The control horns and control linkages looked to need some upgrading.

The build looked really easy and pretty straight forward and they put a few niffty tools in ther package to make the setup go smoothly.
I think that this could be a plane worth looking into.

Keep us posted......:D

nitro wing 09-02-2008 09:07 PM

Hmmm
Those were my exact thoughts too Rush7
By the time you get 2 extra servos and matchboxes or similar and get some control horns/linkages that will hold,the price creeps up past other high end 50cc airframes.

BTerry 09-03-2008 01:03 AM

Those HUGE ailerons would flex and flutter on one servo (in my opinion)

plasticman 09-03-2008 11:19 AM

This servo arrangement is troublesome. I think if it were me I would locate one (1) servo per aileron in the dead center, use a robust one like a 7955 or 8711, and see how it goes. I would never fly it with full aileron throw at wide-open throttle either. I'd also make sure there is plenty of hinge points along the aileron and if there was not enough I'd add a few more especially inboard and outboard edge. Then, you might get away with it.

David.

Rush7 09-03-2008 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: BTerry

Those HUGE ailerons would flex and flutter on one servo (in my opinion)
It looks like they would have made provisions to make the alierons a little stronger.
I flew one of these around on a DA-50 with only one 8611A per alieron. The alierons were massive and I coud pull off full power snaps.
I just wish that they had of made the alierons stonger. I dont think that they are so big that they could have not made them strong enough to fly on one servo.

majortom-RCU 09-04-2008 12:18 AM

Looking at the pretty pictures reminds me, on my little Reactor (YS63), I found the plane very nose-tippy on grass, even with up-elevators on taxiing. I turned the gear legs around to extend forward, and the plane behaves much better on the ground.

The 50 cc version is very tempting, but I think I'd pull all the fancy trim pieces off. I removed half of them (all the tail trim) before I flew the small version, and after not too many flights the wing trim pieces are already peeling.

Those massive ailerons do not suit my flying style, and I keep the throws moderate. But on a 50 cc size, I almost think you have to go two servos per wing half just to keep the surfaces from flexing with G forces.

Ferocious Frankie 09-04-2008 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: majortom-RCU

Those massive ailerons do not suit my flying style, and I keep the throws moderate. But on a 50 cc size, I almost think you have to go two servos per wing half just to keep the surfaces from flexing with G forces.
Not necessary. Take a look at any 50cc plane on the market and you will see that they all use one servo per aileron.

majortom-RCU 09-04-2008 07:10 AM

I own a few 50 cc planes, and have owned a few others, and looked at many beyond those. None of them have or had two servos per aileron, so that far we're in agreement. My point is that, for a 50 cc size model, these ailerons appear to be considerably larger as a fraction of wing area than what I am familiar with, and somewhere in that parameter there is a line to cross where dual servos become advisable.

As Rush7 and Plasticman point out, a robust servo would probably have enough power to control the torque part of the load, but I still think with all that area the aileron frame would be subject to some flexing at the TE corners, away from the pushrod. Using dual servos spreads the load better, and supports the use of something less than very high torque-rated components.

plasticman 09-04-2008 08:27 AM

Another thought crossed my mind on how to keep the flex problem to a minimum using one servo: buy some rectangular. carbon-fiber sticks (the thick ones) and adhere these to the TE. Do this by drilling them and pegging with toothpicks along the TE using 30 minute epoxy. When it has completely cured you can wrap covering or tape around the carbon fiber to get improve appearance.

Like I said, just another thought.

One more idea, on the extreme side of things, would be to just build new ailerons out of foam and sheet them.

David.

plasticman 09-04-2008 11:00 AM

Oops. Hit the post twice.

David.

Walt and Sage 10-02-2008 10:12 AM

My LHS is receiving (1) 50cc Reactor and it is MINE NOW !!! :)

Barry Cazier 10-02-2008 11:25 AM

:)Dang! Do you have it already?
thanks
Barry

Barry Cazier 10-02-2008 11:27 AM

:)I just checked my Tower account. Mine is in shipping as we speak. Maybe ship today or tomorrow. I should have it the end of next week.
Thanks
Barry

Walt and Sage 10-03-2008 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

:)Dang! Do you have it already?
thanks
Barry

Mike said it would be one or two weeks....
I have an AeroWorks QB 50cc Yak to compleat first...
(TOP quality ARF for sure )

SOOOO many FUN planes to build....:)

evan-RCU 10-03-2008 09:36 AM

Hmmm.... I have a older ZDZ 80 and the radio gear to put in this.....

Barry Cazier 10-03-2008 10:14 AM

:)My Reactor has shipped and scheduled to be in my hands on October 8. Looking good. I can't wait to try this baby. Should be fun.
thanks
Barry

Barry Cazier 10-03-2008 10:20 AM

:)My Reactor has shipped and scheduled to be in my hands on October 8. Looking good. I can't wait to try this baby. Should be fun.
thanks
Barry

DLEVETT 10-07-2008 07:26 PM

Barry, can you take lots of pics for us when you get it?

thx
Dave

mrbigg 10-10-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Hmmm.... I have a older ZDZ 80 and the radio gear to put in this.....
Sounds perfect.:D

Tired Old Man 10-10-2008 11:51 AM

"Hmmm.... I have a older ZDZ 80 and the radio gear to put in this....."

Sounds heavy.

Too many people have dramatically decreased the flight performance of their planes by installing a larger and heavier engine than the plane needed to fly well with. Up to 18 pounds a good 50 is all you'll need. At 16 pounds as advertised it should have superb performance. The newer people, after assembling their first or second gasser with a heavy engine, have a habit of coming back into a forum complaining of how their planes snap out of a loop, "tip" stall on landing, or "float" and are hard to land, or need to be flown fast for half way decent performance. All of those symptoms of being too heavy. The floating is also indicative of an incorrect C/G.

I think it's a bit overkill with paired servos on the ailerons as well but there's no reason not to use some less expensive analog servos and fly it as designed. One of the better analog servos would JR 4721's, but there are other less expensive choices available.

mrbigg 10-10-2008 01:08 PM

ZDZ 80 is about the same weight as a G62 on ignition, isn't it?