Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Ideas needed for van to haul 1/4 to 33% planes

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Ideas needed for van to haul 1/4 to 33% planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ideas needed for van to haul 1/4 to 33% planes

I just picked up a Chevy Uplander cargo van and I need some ideas on what racks, wing shelves, etc I should install. There is a divider behind the front seats, and a storage rack, cabinet, and some drawers along one side. I'm thinking about pulling all of that out and putting in something that will allow me to take two or three planes to the field along with fuel, starters, etc. My biggest plane is a 33% Lanier Laser 200, and I've got a couple 1/4 scales along with a 2 meter pattern. I hate to build for the exact planes I have as one crash makes all that work wasted. Something that is adjustable or modular may be best.

Ilooked through a couple forums but didn't find any links or photos. I know there was an article in one of the mags in the last year or so about building out a trailer, but this is going to present a few more problems as there are slider doors on both sides, and I kind of hesitant to drill holes through the roof.

Any links, photos, ideas?? If this is the wrong forum, please redirect me.

Don
Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Ideas needed for van to haul 1/4 to 33% planes

Take a look here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

It's for trailers but a van is just a trailer with an engine & seats! - John.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Campgems

Thanks John. Unfortunatly, my van isn't trailer size or like.. It is a small passenger van with out rear seats. Glass on both sides and doors on both sides. There were a few tie down ideas that might work. If I had a drive way long enoght, I would have gone the cargo trailer route, but I can just get two cars in the drive so parking a trailer there is out of the question.

Keep the links comming though, every one triggers an idea or two.

Don
Old 12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a Venture van that I hauled my stuff around in. I built a removable shelf out of plywood and 1"x2's", ran from the back of the front seats to the the rear hatch opening. Cross braces sat on the window openings on the quarters and sliders. Had a removable center post in the rear and front. One plane each nose to tail on the bottom, one set on top. Wings where I could fit them, dependent on the planes. As the side doors move outward and then open it was no problem getting to stuff stashed behind the seats.

Even had cargo netting hung from the four seatbelt hook ups in the roof for odd ball light items.

And don't forget yours should have a roof rack too, can always install a cargo carrier up there, or tie down other items to it.

Heck I went to a 9 day fly in, 18 planes from park flyer to 60's and 120's even my 90" P-38, plus all the camping gear, and 5 parts bins, 4 file folder storage boxes of parts, loads of tools and building supplies, clothes, food, etc. etc. etc. Not a scratch on one of my birds.....................OK none from the trip there.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also pvc pipe can be your friend.
Check out these.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6801884

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10055623
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Campgems

Guys, got to share this with you. Idecided the first item of business was to get take out the drawers and shelves and the bulkhead behind the seats, so this morning i went out and crawled in the back to see what I was going to need in the way of tools and get an idea of how to pull things apart. While I'm setting there, I realized that Ihadn't seen then inside of the right side sliding door. So, I slid it shut for a look. Everything looked OK.. Reach down and try to open it and the handle will not work. Must have locked when I shut it, so I hit the lock, unlock button, a couple times, and still it won't work. SO there I am, no cell phone, the wife has gone to the club to work out and won't be home for a few hours. I'm locked in. No latch on the tail gate to allow that to open, the left slider is covered with the shelves and drawers I'm going to remove, and the bulkhead with expanded metal back prevents me from getting into the front to get out. Ihad a lot of time to study the construction.

Finally a neighbor that lives across the street came home. I Ihit the panic button on the key fob and he turned around and saw the van with nobody in it or around it and shrugged his shoulders and went in side. Those really dark tinted windows that were going to prevent the sun from getting at my planes made me invisible. He came back out a while latter and we went through the horn blowing, and being ignored. Finally the lady that lives across the other street was walking by. Idid the horn trick again and about scared her out of her socks. I'm banging on the roof and windows and hollering, and she glares at the noisy van and scurries home and into the house. Ifinally think to open the rear vent window and a little while later the guy comes out again. I hit the horn and then holler his name. He kind of turns back this time. Hit the horn and holler again. This time I've got his curiosity up. He starts across the street so I start hollering again. Finally he is close enough that I can tell him I'm locked in and would he please open the door for me. Elapsed time about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Turns out that although it was a cargo van, it still had the kiddie lock on the door that prevents the inside handle from working. Flip the lever and I'm back in business. The rest of the day was spent tearing out the bulkhead and one set of shelves.

Don
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Campgems

Those PVC setups look worth looking closely at. Having spent several hours today crawling around in the back of the van, I decided I needed to start with a new floor board, all the sockets and bumps from the passenger version are there. My knees are about beat from crawling around on them. A smooth piece of 1/2" ply covered with carpet are in order. Then the PVC racks.

Don