Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

metal gear servos vs karbanite.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

metal gear servos vs karbanite.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
sticktickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: metal gear servos vs karbanite.

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

It must be cold, in River City. Calm down, man.

Hitec makes some good products. Karbonite is not one of them.
I am calm thank you very much and yes it's very cold in River City but HiTech is still junk!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
sticktickler

ORIGINAL: hanko

You know, I have 11 giant scale model airplanes from 30 cc up to 150 cc, some have as many 10 servos, I have allways run Hitek servos. I have never had a mishap because of a servo related issue. I have never had a Hitek servo, quit, break, strip, bend, or any of the other horse crap things that have been said on this thread. So I suggest the guy that infers we are douchebags for not running anything but JR should try using them as a supository
If you want to put low end servos in your plane that's fine. Moverover if they work for you that's great but I really see no need for the harsh insults. I have lost planes due to broken Karbanite servos I shy away from HiTec for not pulling this inferior product. It is wrong and irresponsible plain and simple much like your attack of me! I'm sure your douchebagness is likely a result of birth and not from using inferior HiTec products you should have that looked at.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 AM
hanko

I think your just a small petit man with a complex. HiTek servos, low end. So lets see what what the majority says to your low end comment.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C'mon Sticky tickler, you know that Futaba makes the best servos, don't you?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

You know, I have 11 giant scale model airplanes from 30 cc up to 150 cc, some have as many 10 servos, I have allways run Hitek servos. I have never had a mishap because of a servo related issue. I have never had a Hitek servo, quit, break, strip, bend, or any of the other horse crap things that have been said on this thread. So I suggest the guy that infers we are douchebags for not running anything but JR should try using them as a supository
If you want to put low end servos in your plane that's fine. Moverover if they work for you that's great but I really see no need for the harsh insults. I have lost planes due to broken Karbanite servos I shy away from HiTec for not pulling this inferior product. It is wrong and irresponsible plain and simple much like your attack of me! I'm sure your douchebagness is likely a result of birth and not from using inferior HiTec products you should have that looked at.
Come on.. your a smart guy. You can't interject into a subject as you did and not expect some heat. Your interjection was off-topic at the least... If you don't see that, how can anyone expect you to see that there are products other then JR that actually do perform as they should. Hitec makes some decent stuff, and I haven't had much trouble with any of it. I actually have a couple of dead JR servos sitting about 10' from me.. go figure... does that mean JR isn't up to snuff? No.. those of us with experience know JR equipment really is very good equipment.. no doubt.. I will not dispute that.. and that's not even the issue of this topic.

Why is it there's always one that has to play the "this is better then that" card...? The topic here is "metal gear servos vs. karbonite" . It might be better to stay on that topic.. ya think?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM
hanko

ORIGINAL: DGrant

Come on.. your a smart guy. You can't interject into a subject as you did and not expect some heat. Your interjection was off-topic at the least... If you don't see that, how can anyone expect you to see that there are products other then JR that actually do perform as they should. Hitec makes some decent stuff, and I haven't had much trouble with any of it. I actually have a couple of dead JR servos sitting about 10' from me.. go figure... does that mean JR isn't up to snuff? No.. those of us with experience know JR equipment really is very good equipment.. no doubt.. I will not dispute that.. and that's not even the issue of this topic.

Why is it there's always one that has to play the ''this is better then that'' card...? The topic here is ''metal gear servos vs. karbonite'' . It might be better to stay on that topic.. ya think?
Well said Mr Grant
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
sticktickler

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

C'mon Sticky tickler, you know that Futaba makes the best servos, don't you?
I have no problem with Futaba equipment it too is great, I simply fly JR always have. I'd rather not trim off the little plastic tab on the Futaba servo lead so I use only JR servos.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
sticktickler

Why is it there's always one that has to play the ''this is better then that'' card...? The topic here is ''metal gear servos vs. karbonite'' . It might be better to stay on that topic.. ya think?
In dealing with adult mature grown men one would think one could interject his views in this OPEN forum without receiving said "heat" at all. I did not expect everyone to agree with me, I simply offered my opinion on the matter of Karbanite gears which was ON TOPIC. Moving forward I guess reasonable adult maturity may be too much to ask from some...ya think?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
hanko

If some one callled your car junk, or the type of lawnmower you have a piece of ****, Im sure you would take offense also. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but the way you put things calling what I like junk, how do you expect a few of us to react. Im proud of my stuff, and then we get twits that think only there **** is the best, and everyone has junk because they dont do JR servos. Them is fightin words dude

Im done with this thread
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
frenchie79

I have no problem with Futaba equipment it too is great, I simply fly JR always have. I'd rather not trim off the little plastic tab on the Futaba servo lead so I use only JR servos.
Always have???? guess you don't know any alternatives, but each to his own.
I have had a failure with K.B. gears on flaps-go metal. I also run 635's KBon a 4*60 300+ flights and they work very smooth. Good choice on 60 size and below sport planes. JMHO
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

In dealing with adult mature grown men one would think one could interject his views in this OPEN forum without receiving said ''heat'' at all. I did not expect everyone to agree with me, I simply offered my opinion on the matter of Karbanite gears which was ON TOPIC. Moving forward I guess reasonable adult maturity may be too much to ask from some...ya think?
After re-reading the thread, I will say your first post in the thread was spot-on for this topic, at least for me(after all we can give opinions as you stated)... and I'm sure appreciated... and reasonable adult maturity is not alot to ask for.. yes.. I think too..... and ...

I think the prob occured as of your second post, and pretty much each that's followed... as it clearly in my comprehension, reverted to a "what product is best?..Mine is" tone(note:this is only how I comprehended it, not speaking for anyone else here), maybe I was off, maybe not....it just didn't seem like a cool thing man.... We all spend hard earned money in this hobby.. and each has different needs and wants.. but it does kind of bash away at the pride of investment and ownership.... which we know is a part of this hobby, if you can't be at least somewhat proud of it, or that you worked hard for it.. what's the point..? Theres sometimes more too the hobby then just material items such as planes and radios.. Most of us that read and participate are pretty smart, and very crafty.. even with words too, but this is just how I see it anyway...

I don't agree with personal bashing either, nor will I go there, but a little heat is sometimes part of discussion and debate...as much as you have a right to post your "opinion", someone else just might have an "opinion" about your "opinion.... and its absolutely nothing personal... and within that "right" you spoke of..

Reality is not everyone can equip a plane with $50-$100+ servos... glad someone can though.. as you are the reason a company like JR is in biz. I own a futaba, and a Spektrum, and Hitec equipment.. and yes I've owned JR equipment also in the past... some of us have found other equipment that works just fine believe it or not.... ... there's still some equipment in ALL lines of ANY hobby/industry/facet of life that just shouldn't be used nor supported by we the consumer.. and that really is what's being weeded out in threads/forums such as this...

So go out and have fun with your JR servos... and may they forever be trouble free(seriously I wish you the best with them).... its all good man... no worries. I suggest we get back to the topic..
I won't be commeting on thie issue anymore.

Have a good one.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Would anyone that uses Hitec use a 645MG on a plane say up to 50cc, where you would have two for elevator and two in the wings?

Im just getting back into the hobby and that was the servo I used in my setups, never had a problem, but would like to know if anyone has...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
sticktickler

In dealing with adult mature grown men one would think one could interject his views in this OPEN forum without receiving said ''heat'' at all. I did not expect everyone to agree with me, I simply offered my opinion on the matter of Karbanite gears which was ON TOPIC. Moving forward I guess reasonable adult maturity may be too much to ask from some...ya think?
After re-reading the thread, I will say your first post in the thread was spot-on for this topic, at least for me(after all we can give opinions as you stated)... and I'm sure appreciated... and reasonable adult maturity is not alot to ask for.. yes.. I think too..... and ...

I think the prob occured as of your second post, and pretty much each that's followed... as it clearly in my comprehension, reverted to a ''what product is best?..Mine is'' tone(note:this is only how I comprehended it, not speaking for anyone else here), maybe I was off, maybe not....it just didn't seem like a cool thing man.... We all spend hard earned money in this hobby.. and each has different needs and wants.. but it does kind of bash away at the pride of investment and ownership.... which we know is a part of this hobby, if you can't be at least somewhat proud of it, or that you worked hard for it.. what's the point..? Theres sometimes more too the hobby then just material items such as planes and radios.. Most of us that read and participate are pretty smart, and very crafty.. even with words too, but this is just how I see it anyway...

I don't agree with personal bashing either, nor will I go there, but a little heat is sometimes part of discussion and debate...as much as you have a right to post your ''opinion'', someone else just might have an ''opinion'' about your ''opinion.... and its absolutely nothing personal... and within that ''right'' you spoke of..

Reality is not everyone can equip a plane with $50-$100+ servos... glad someone can though.. as you are the reason a company like JR is in biz. I own a futaba, and a Spektrum, and Hitec equipment.. and yes I've owned JR equipment also in the past... some of us have found other equipment that works just fine believe it or not.... ... there's still some equipment in ALL lines of ANY hobby/industry/facet of life that just shouldn't be used nor supported by we the consumer.. and that really is what's being weeded out in threads/forums such as this...

So go out and have fun with your JR servos... and may they forever be trouble free(seriously I wish you the best with them).... its all good man... no worries. I suggest we get back to the topic..
I won't be commeting on thie issue anymore.

Have a good one.
Your views are sound and your logic reasonable. The fact remains my issues are with Hitec not the people that buy the equipment. The adult maturity discussed earlier should normally support that. That being said I feel the best mid priced servo ever made was the 605BB which HiTec has discontinued in favor of the inferior Karbanite geared servo. This of course has got to be the biggest marketing blunder since Coke changed its formula; caving to public pressure they changed it back. With any luck Hitec will learn from this mistake. Perhaps one day they will stop trying to reinvent the wheel at our expense and go back to the more dependable nylon gearset that made the 605BB so triumphant.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
sticktickler

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Would anyone that uses Hitec use a 645MG on a plane say up to 50cc, where you would have two for elevator and two in the wings?

Im just getting back into the hobby and that was the servo I used in my setups, never had a problem, but would like to know if anyone has...
That of course would depend on the airframe the 50cc is on as well. A rocket quick Extra 300 with a 50cc flies much different than a 110" wingspan J-3 Cub. Moreover the 645MG should be more then adequate for both applications in the configuration you mentioned above. NOT the Karbanite offering however as HiTec wants you to double up on them for that size of plane. Which seems silly to me as they were designed for that kind of load but the Karbanite does not hold up well to Gas engine vibrations.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

That of course would depend on the airframe the 50cc is on as well. A rocket quick Extra 300 with a 50cc flies much different than a 110" wingspan J-3 Cub. Moreover the 645MG should be more then adequate for both applications in the configuration you mentioned above. NOT the Karbanite offering however as HiTec wants you to double up on them for that size of plane. Which seems silly to me as they were designed for that kind of load but the Karbanite does not hold up well to Gas engine vibrations.
Thanks for the info, I will stick with what I know and stay away from the karbanite. It's always hard for me to change if something works like you want it to, the 645MG always did what Iwanted.. Now my brain and thumb relationship, well that's anotherthing...lol
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

I have a funny feeling someone won't be getting their graphics from river city!!!!! i always went with the torque rating that i needed, regardless of what the gears were made of !!! until the advent of 3-d flight the control surfaces were minimal and their geometry minimal ,years ago all we had were plastic gears!!! at 40 oz. of torque flying 1/5 and larger byron warbirds!!! in the late 80's people started ganging servos to get more torque,then electronics  technology really took off and this is where we are at today!!! in 20 plus years of flying i have only lost 1 plane from gears stripping and that was totally my fault!!!  i used a digital servo at the lowest end of the torque rating,with plastic gears and both aileron servos did it at the same time on the second flight!!! since then i really don't care what brand of  servos i use but they will always have metal gears and be rated at more than what i need!!!! more than what you need is not a bad thing!!!!! at least you know you have it if you need it!!!!! and by the way the only servo that i have ever had a problem with new out of the box were HD 9150 mg that worked for 1 minute and quit when i was setting up the rudder throw!!!! i had 5 installed in the plane and pulled them alll!!!!!  right now i am giving savox servos a run for my money!!!! time will tell!!!!! do some research and let your wallet decide!!!!!!!!!!! if you have to wait a couple of weeks do so!!! ask anyone who fly's a helicopter what gears they run there is a reason why they run metal!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM
johnfly

2 years ago i set up a .50 size reactor with a saito .82 and used all hitec 5645mg servos. I flew about 6 gallons of fuel through it in the following year loved it no regrets but the servos do have some slop now. last winter i set up a .60 size u can do with an enya 1.20 and all hitec 635s except rudder! after a year of flying about 8 gallons of fuel not one of the 635s are showing any slop and have operated flawlessly from day one. Did i get lucky ??? i don't think so. I think if you size the servos to the application you won't have any problems.
my .02 John. best regards to all.