Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Pietenpol Sky Scout

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pietenpol Sky Scout

I have just traded for a Pietenpol Sky Scout and can find very little info on it. It has a 80" wing span and the only model I found was one with the radiator recessed into the front middle of the wing. This one is not recessed. I have a almost new 26cc gas motor I would like to use but it will not fit in the cowl that came with it. Any info ideas or suggestions welcome as this will be my first gas plane there is a lot to find out!! Thanks in advance for any help. I can not get the pictures up always says connection reset so I will put them up elsewhere.
Larry.

Here is the photos URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/album/5828737

Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Gofer303

Default RE: Pietenpol Sky Scout

No one have any info on this plane at all???
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
dreid
My Feedback: (13)

Check out this link. I used to own the company until I sold it last year.
Dave
http://www.tarvinmodelproducts.com/p...pietenpol.html
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Gofer303

Dave this is the first plane this size I have had and really like the looks of it. Thanks for the link I will check it out. How big a motor could be put on tis plane I have a 26cc gas motor I would like to use if possible.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
dreid

The 26 is a great engine but grossly over powered for this plane. If you want to go gas, probably something in the 15-17cc range. Also the 26 is physically too large for the plane. It was designed around a 1.20 four stroke. Maybe the DLE 20 may fit, but again probably too much power. The Piet is a great flying plane. I will be drawing up a 40% Piet Sky Scout hopefully within the next year.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Gofer303

Thanks for the info a 40% would be awesome to behold. Keep me posted I would be very interested in one !!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Gofer303

Would a 15 to 17cc gas motor work on this plane ? I would possibly be able to trade the 26 cc if I could find a suitable motor.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 AM
dreid

Gofer303- I would think the 15-17 size would be great. Also with that size I would image most if not all the engine would be hidden. Just make sure to allow for proper cooling The Z26 is a great little engine, but physically too big and way too much power.
Dave
Old 06-10-2012, 06:40 AM
dreid

Also forgot to mention that if you have not already done so, there is a ton of info on the smaller gasser engines on the gas engine forum. Compare the specs and physical sizes before you spend your money.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Gofer303

Dave
I have started the search for the right 15 to 17cc gas motor. I just look at the plane and can see it flying! I guess this one bit me hard ! I would also like to tow a light weight short banner made of shopping bag type plastic and a carbon fiber frame that I have been looking at doing. I am the Friday night announcer at the local drag strip and go there to fly when the road course is not in use and thought this plane should be able to tow a small very light weight banner as an advertising tool for some sponsor. There are some banners on you tube towed by smaller planes so I just will have to get this project done soon. here is a link to the drag strip and road course I work at and can fly there. The nearest club is a 22 mile one way trip so I have to plan trips into the city.
www.midamericamotorplex.com
Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 PM
dreid

does not look like there would be any shortage of flying space at the track. Maybe you could work a deal and get a club started there.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Gofer303

Have looked into trying to get a club started when the facility is not manned and no racing there they have everything locked down due to insurance. I have tried to get a keyed club started but being so far away from the bigger cities most flyers will spend a lot of time driving which they do not want to waste if they could be flying. I have the same problem with going up to 50 miles to fly at various clubs. I do offer free flying on Friday evenings from 6 pm when the road course shuts down and have even offered a all night fly as there is no city ordinances to be in violation of like so many clubs that are located on a city owned park or field. Who knows some day if I make it to retirement I can be there to run a field.