Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CMP Airplanes... BEWARE!

I recently purchase a used CMP AT-6 Texan airplane with 81" wing span . The plane looked great with Sierra retracts and a nice looking cockpit. The builder had done a great job adding some nice touches that I could not turn down such a nice looking model. Before I got a chance to fly it for the first time, I had a mishap with the wing and put a hole in the underside of it. I called and emailed everyone I could find that sells this plane to either purchase a new wing or get some covering that would match what is on it. I even emailed CMP multiple times to see if they might be able to send me a roll of covering.

Much to my dismay, I was not able to find any covering or a new wing. I was able to put some covering that was close and cover it with a new decal and it looks pretty good, but my problem is... what if I really needed parts to fix this plane after a crash.

I really love the look of this AT-6 and in my opinion, it looks nicer and has a larger wing span than the TF model. But there is no service behind these planes. If you ever need parts, you might as well put them in the trash.

Just wanted to give folks a heads-up on what I think are really nice looking planes. BEWARE of CMP airplanes if you think you might ever need service.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CMP Airplanes... BEWARE!

Welcome to the real world of CMP. I've had three of them. They CAN be made to fly good but you need to be a builder to know what to look for. These planes are classified more as BARFs. Builders ARFs. They tend to build heavy, throw the hardware package away(its poor quality), ignore the CG recommendations (ask the forums what works or calculate for yourself), look for obvious build problems (wing incedence, structure defects and so on). All three of mine had lightening holes cut into the retract mounting rail ribs. Very bad idea, I beefed it up with some 1.8" ply. Mine flew ok (2 spitfires and a zero) but you have to watch your landing speed. Get too slow and they stall pretty suddenly. And dont count on any spares. You're lucky if you find some. I striped my zero completely because the paint was chipping and refinished it with ultracoat on the wings and stab, then used rustoleum off white for the glass fuse.
    Edwin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70776.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	1875517  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice looking plane... thanks for the info.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a 25% CMP Corsair and I got it used in a trade. I'm glad I didn't buy it new !
    It has the fiberglass fuse and wing. Very detailed and it looks great but it's not built very well. It's a bit of a lump but it flies OK. Any breaks or issues on that wing and it will take a lot of time to repair it and make it look decent . I was looking for a cowl and went as far as emailing the manufacturer and had no luck. Ended up just glassing and repairing it.
    Most manufacturers will sell you replacement covering by the foot. CMP you can't even get parts !
    Good luck .
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Edwin is right on the money. I have a number of CMP planes and I did manage to get a number of spare cowls and a few canopies, but once they are gone...forget it. I agree with every observation as far as the building. I haven't had CG issues on the big planes. The one I'm flying the most right now is the AT-6. Skyarrow, you're right as well. Looks much nicer and gives a far better presence that the TF version. That being said, I had a major hangar-rash incident and instead of being able to replace the wing I had to buy a new plane. Unfortunate, but it is what it is. Keep 'em flying! Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont understand why anyone would buy any of those cheap made arfs, buy the time you modify one to make it airworthy you could build one from a kit, there are some good flyers out there thanks to all the ARFs, but there arent many modelers left.
    smooth pass

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CMP is probably still in business because we don't research as you fellows have done.....
    Pictures of planes are pretty and get us excited.........If they keep up the poor quality they will eventually close or sell out to someone else.
    I'll surely stay away from them, thanks to you guys...