Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

*Cirrus SR22T 30cc ARF by Hangar 9*

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

*Cirrus SR22T 30cc ARF by Hangar 9*

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *Cirrus SR22T 30cc ARF by Hangar 9*

Looks like the cylinder head will stick out of the cowl just a little. The distance from the engine box to the backplate looks like it might work out without any mods for the DLE 35RA. The distance for the engine is 6 3/8" and it looks like that will leave a 1/8" gap between the cowl and the back plate. That's a little more than I like but should be fine.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM
BANK N YANK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good, thanks for the photo,s & up dates.

How does the nose gear & attatchment point look ?

Supposedly the week point on a smaller Great Planes version of this aircraft.

I,ve just had an update from the importer here in Australia, the Cirrus is due in on 15th June, their taking backorders at $699 Aus, inc free shipping , our dollar is almost exactly equal to the US dollar, how does this compare to what you guys are paying ? Not that it makes much difference i cant possibly get one from the states with the shipping, but just nice to know.

Winter has arrived in Aus I,m South in Victoria, max about 15 deg at the moment, fair bit of rain, & wind, after a great summer,not much flying lately.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: BANK N YANK

Looking good, thanks for the photo,s & up dates.

How does the nose gear & attatchment point look ?

Supposedly the week point on a smaller Great Planes version of this aircraft.

I,ve just had an update from the importer here in Australia, the Cirrus is due in on 15th June, their taking backorders at $699 Aus, inc free shipping , our dollar is almost exactly equal to the US dollar, how does this compare to what you guys are paying ? Not that it makes much difference i cant possibly get one from the states with the shipping, but just nice to know.

Winter has arrived in Aus I,m South in Victoria, max about 15 deg at the moment, fair bit of rain, & wind, after a great summer, not much flying lately.

Haven't looked at the nose gear attachment yet. Just picked up my 3 blade spinner today. If I have time I'm going to try and get the DLE 35 bolted on this weekend and cut the cowl and get it in place. You get three templates to set up your power source. Evolution 33GX, Saito FG-30B, and a Power 160. I used the Power 160 template to make a template for my DLE 35. I ordered mine from my LHS and it cost me $625.00 out the door.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Zippi

I got the DLE 35RA mounted for a trial fit and clearance for everything looks good.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Zippi

Here is a shot of the front nose wheel bracket inside the wheel pants. It has a 5mm pin for an axle along with the 5mm gear itself. Very stout looking.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Zippie looks good thanks for the pictures going to have to get one
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Zippi

Well, unfortunately I have to send my fuse back to Horizon. I noticed at the top when I drilled my holes for my stand-offs that there was a gap. There is about a 1/2" gap between the fiber glass and the inner plywood firewall. Didn't really think about it when I was mounting my engine for fit. I guess I was in to much of a hurry to see what it looked like. You can see in the pic that the top of the firewall is leaning backwards.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 PM
BANK N YANK

Thats very disapointing, Hanger 9 quality has always been so good, i,m sure they will want to rectify the problem for you. & not want the bad publicity on here, getting too far.

Or you could just mix up some epoxy & syringe it into the cavity through the engine mount holes. You would need to be sure the whole space was filled, to be sure when mounting the motor the cavity would,nt be crushed.

Good luck which ever way you go, let us know.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM
BANK N YANK

Oh yea, & are the 4 mounting holes in the bottom of the fuselage front for mounting the nose leg ? how good do you think that set up is, strength wise, sure to cop a pounding on the occasional heavier landing, or a lot of the time on the grass strip at my club.

Thanks Zippi
Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gee Zippi, that installation looks nice and clean!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Zippi

BANK N YANK,

I guess a fellow could fill the void with epoxy or cut the fiber glass away and add washers but I have taken the fuse back to my LHS for a replacement. Should be in by Tuesday. For this kind of money I want it right. The 4 holes below the engine box are the mounting holes for the nose wheel. I did take a look at it and there is no way to get to it from the inside as it's covered up by the tray. I think the only thing I can do is stand the fuse on it's nose and drop some epoxy in and let it conform to the block that is there. Other than that I'll just have to make sure I grease all the landings.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Gee Zippi, that installation looks nice and clean!
Thanks dude. This plane has some very clean lines. I think anyones installation would look good.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 AM
Zippi

While I'm waiting on a new fuse to come in I thought I'd work on hinging the elevator to the stab. The Robart style hinges all fit great and eveything went together per the manual. Nice looking scale hinge line.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM
veroaviaor
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Looks like the cylinder head will stick out of the cowl just a little. The distance from the engine box to the backplate looks like it might work out without any mods for the DLE 35RA. The distance for the engine is 6 3/8'' and it looks like that will leave a 1/8'' gap between the cowl and the back plate. That's a little more than I like but should be fine.
Hi guys,

I should be getting this plane next week. Do you think a Saito FG57 twin would fit in the cowl without it sticking out? Look forward to all your views.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: veroaviaor

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Looks like the cylinder head will stick out of the cowl just a little. The distance from the engine box to the backplate looks like it might work out without any mods for the DLE 35RA. The distance for the engine is 6 3/8'' and it looks like that will leave a 1/8'' gap between the cowl and the back plate. That's a little more than I like but should be fine.
Hi guys,

I should be getting this plane next week. Do you think a Saito FG57 twin would fit in the cowl without it sticking out? Look forward to all your views.

Thanks
The cowling is 10 1/4" wide by about 8" tail. Seems like it would accommodate quite a few different applications. My fuse replacement is due in today. Hope this one checks out ok. Anyone who is getting one keep an eye out on the correct position of the ply firewall. You won't know until your drill your holes for the stand-offs.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Zippi

Well, I went to my LHS today to pick up my replacement fuse and as luck would have it the rear of the fuse was cracked with paint popping off. Looked like someone had stepped on the plane and went ahead and put it in the box. The outer box was not damaged. I was also tapping my finger on the fiber glass engine box and this one sounded hollow at the top where the holes needed to be drilled for the stand-offs. It may have the same issue as my first one. Illinois does not have another fuse so the LHS had to order one from California. If this one comes in damaged I'm sending everything back for a refund. Horizon Hobby at this moment is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Where is the quality control???
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 AM
BANK N YANK

Very disapointing, i,m tipping Horizon will be cheesed at the quality problems too, my last 2 of there models were so good [ P47 Thunderbolt Razerback fitted with OS BGX 35cc & Taylorcraft with the V twin Laser 33cc, that i have duplicates sitting on the shelf in the garage waiting for the enevitable, had literally hundreds of flights out of them both ] after all,there all only on loan. There quality, ease of build & longevity are why i was so interested in the Cirrus, maybe i need to hold off now for a bit ??

Best of luck Zippi, but they must want to put it right, maybe you should mention the press there getting on this forum, if the next step doesnt work out, but i would give them one more shot ??
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Zippi

Very disapointing, i,m tipping Horizon will be cheesed at the quality problems too, my last 2 of there models were so good [ P47 Thunderbolt Razerback fitted with OS BGX 35cc & Taylorcraft with the V twin Laser 33cc, that i have duplicates sitting on the shelf in the garage waiting for the enevitable, had literally hundreds of flights out of them both ] after all, there all only on loan. There quality, ease of build & longevity are why i was so interested in the Cirrus, maybe i need to hold off now for a bit ??

Best of luck Zippi, but they must want to put it right, maybe you should mention the press there getting on this forum, if the next step doesnt work out, but i would give them one more shot ??
I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I have never had anything make it from the west coast in one piece. I bought the Cirrus through my LHS. I did call Horizon Tech support on Saturday to let them know of the issue I had before I took it back to the LHS. The fellow ask me to send pics which I did and he said to call him back after I sent them. This guy was unfamilar with the plane and he thought I was asking for a motor mount. I was put on hold waiting to talk to this fellow that told me to call him back. They said he was busy and he would call me back. Never got the call so I called back and all lines were busy. When the lines are busy they have an option were you can leave your phone number and hang up and not loose your place in line and they will call you back. I did that twice and never got a call back. Took it back to the LHS Saturday and he told me he would have me a replacement on Tuesday. That's the one that came in damaged yesterday. Horizon Tech support did leave a message on my phone sometime after I had left my LHS. All I can say is they are very slow to respond and unfamilar with there products. Seen the same thing at Toledo.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 AM
BANK N YANK

Excuse my ignorance, but being down under, not sure what LHS stands for, Zip.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 AM
Zippi

Excuse my ignorance, but being down under, not sure what LHS stands for, Zip.
Local hobby shop dude. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 AM
BANK N YANK

Too simple, like me i guess, there doing it tough here, even the importer [ long time wholesaler is now selling on-line, ] the LHS,s here are not long for this world i fear.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Zippi

I'm banking on the 3rd fuse to be trouble free so while I'm waiting for the fuse to arrive hopefully next week sometime I decided to do a little more work on the rest of the plane. The weld on the axles is a little to sloppy so when the plastic spacers is put on it sets the wheels to close to the cutout in the wheel pants. I had to shave about 3/16" off the wheel pants to get the clearance for the wheels to spin freely. On the left wing only the gap between the ailerons and flaps was way to close so I had to cut off enough so the flap would operate to it's full range.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM
BANK N YANK

Hanger 9 quality seems to have gone down the toilet lately. How hard can it be ? to get it right, If I ran my business like that I would soon run out of customers.

I was reading the thread on there 88inch Tiger Moth, & that too has issues that the end user should not have to deal with. C.O.G. printed incorrectly in the manual, incidence wrong on the stab, these 2 alone could cause a less experienced modeler to loose there aircraft on the first flight. plus several other ill fitting parts, not good enough, Hanger 9.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Zippi

BANK N YANK,

I agree with ya dude. Everyone please keep in mind that most of the issues I've found so far are not a Hugh issue. But, they are things that I feel should have been caught before the release of the plane. The main issue was the firewall which in my book was a major issue. The Cirrus SR22T is still a very nice looking scale plane and once it's finished should be a nice addition to my hangar.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Zippi

My LHS received my 3rd fuse today so I went over to pick it up after work. As the hobby shop owner and myself opened the box the first thing we noticed was that there was no packing. It was wrapped in one plastic bag with one loose box inside. This was a very poor way for this to be shipped from California. The fuse was cracked in multiple places and the paint was very poor. The tented glass on the doors looked like someone had dragged them across a floor as they were full of scratches. Very unacceptable. The hobby shop owner still had the other two fuses that I had returned so we tried to swap out the doors only to find out they would not fit and the paint lines were way off. My LHS called Horizon while I was there and explained the issue. Illinois and California are out of the fuselage so they are sending a whole new ARF. My LHS owner and myself agree that if this one comes in just as bad as the others then that's it. It's all being shipped back for a full refund. I think I have been more than patient. This will be the lasts H9 product that I buy no matter how the next fuse is when it comes in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.