Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Wendell Hostetler 35% RV-4 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Wendell Hostetler 35% RV-4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 AM
smithfj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, Here's a couple pictures I took in the garage of the bench. Hope it looks okay when I post them.
I'll try and get more tomorrow if I get a chance to try and run the engine outdoors.
Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Bench.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2103496   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Bench1.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	2103497  
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM
smithfj

Forgot to mention that all the 2x6 lumber was recycled from my old porch chop down. You can see the gouges and nail holes but the airplanes will never know it and my knees will love it. LOL.
I also provided an eye bolt in the rear leg for a way to anchor her down. My buddies walked across his garage floor because of the wheels.
Frank
Old 06-17-2015, 01:35 PM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Frank - the bird and the stand look great. Best of luck with the maiden, whenever it takes place. Keep us posted.
Craig
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Your field table looks great. A lot simpler, and lighter than the one I have plans for. Was this your own design, or were you working from plans?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 PM
smithfj

EJ, I had a working copy of the plans and don't remember where I got them. I think they were from a club design in New York.
Mines all Pressure Treated 2x6, 2x4, and 1x4 lumber and is HEAVY. Wheels are needed on one this big just to move it around.
I'll do a little research and add it to this forum. I made mine wider than the plans too. Main platform is 36 wide and 32 deep. Tail piece from front of unit is 84 inches.
Frank
Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 PM
smithfj

http://www.meroke.com/sbbuildinginstructions.htm

This is a site for the plan of the original bench.

Frank
Old 06-18-2015, 03:38 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smithfj
Tom, Here's a couple pictures I took in the garage of the bench. Hope it looks okay when I post them.
I'll try and get more tomorrow if I get a chance to try and run the engine outdoors.
Frank

The bench looks great, Frank !

Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:56 PM
EJWash1

Thanks for looking-up the plans and posting the link, Frank! Much appreciated. I like this bench more than the one I already have plans for.

I take it that you built the 1/4-scale version?

Edit:

Just reread you dimensions and compared them to the plans. I see that you stretched the tail piece from 77" to 84", and that still didn't leave you a whole lot of distance from the tailwheel too the end of the plank. Good thing to make note of, thanks!

Last edited by EJWash1; 06-18-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:50 PM
smithfj

Originally Posted by EJWash1
Thanks for looking-up the plans and posting the link, Frank! Much appreciated. I like this bench more than the one I already have plans for.

I take it that you built the 1/4-scale version?

Edit:

Just reread you dimensions and compared them to the plans. I see that you stretched the tail piece from 77" to 84", and that still didn't leave you a whole lot of distance from the tailwheel too the end of the plank. Good thing to make note of, thanks!

I agree with the 1/4 scale and the tail piece being close for this bird. The RV-4 is 35% , I think, and is bigger than I thought. Hope to see how it works this afternoon after the rains quit and Saturday she goes in the air. Made a flight yesterday on my Bipe just to check my Zenoah engine out and it was a wild ride. Got her up and down okay but the wind was bad with gusts.

This style of bench is nice bbut if you have high wing birds verify the height of the wing hold 2x4's. You may need extra height.

Frank
Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 AM
EJWash1

Originally Posted by smithfj
Hope to see how it works this afternoon after the rains quit and Saturday she goes in the air.
I'll get on the horn and see if I can arrange some good weather for your maiden!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:36 AM
smithfj

Tom, EJ, Craig and others, All is set for the maiden tomorrow. Wind is going to be 6 - 9 mph in the morning and it's then or two weeks from now.
Got two extra props drilled and balanced, another gallon of gas mixed, decals are done- if they don't blow off, and got another 12 volt battery so my Sullivan heavy duty starter can start her on 24 volts. That carb sits below the cylinders and it's hard for me to flip fast enough for fuel to draw to the cylinders. So tomorrow I'll get pictures before and after flight and hopefully my buddy will have his camera..Stay tuned.
Frank
Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck, Frank !
Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM
EJWash1

Have fun with it!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:53 PM
jperkinstrades
My Feedback: (25)

Rv 4

Last edited by jperkinstrades; 08-18-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 PM
DRCRAIG

Frank - did you maiden the RV yet???
Craig
Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM
smithfj

Craig.
I did maiden it but I wasn't to successful. Takeoff and a few turns showed ailerons weren't as effective as I would have liked. Then it happened. I did a roll which was very slow and the canopy opened up. It seemed to effect my ailerons some as turning was a bear. I used rudder and got her on a final approach which I think was under powered and she tip stalled and hit hard on the gear and prop. That caused the fuselage to break right behind the wing. It's not a total loss but I do have to rebuild the fuselage and get me some more aileron throw. I'm not sure how much weight I had to add to the nose but it was a lot so build/sand heavy in the tail. No build heavy though. HaHa. Sorry for not posting earlier but was away for over a week and have been maxed out installing windows at home. I'll send pictures soon though.
Frank
Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM
DRCRAIG

Frank,
How is the re-build coming along??
Are you gettign close to flying the RV again??
Craig
Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM
smithfj

Craig,
The re-build of the fuselage is coming along quite well and all I need is time to finish covering the fuselage and putting the gear back in. Right now I have plumbers coming in and replacing all my baseboard heating elements and everything is pulled away from walls and the basement is in the same mess. Hopefully by the end of the month she will fly again.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:03 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Frank \ All -

I finally finished re-furbishing my RV-3 (pic) - I think it turned out pretty nice. (New servos, pull-pulls, cowl, and repainted everything (probably a pound of paint!) Wingspan is 85". It feels heavy at about 25lbs (with engine) - will have to re-weigh it. I installed a used Brillelli 60 with a Xoar 22x12 prop, which seemed to have decent power on the ground. Maiden was last Saturday at Bethpage Polo field in Bethpage, Long Island. I intentionally put big throws into the ailerons and elevator, as I like a decent roll rate, and these are only partial ailerons on a huge wing. So... the plane was VERY nose-heavy on take-off - had to trim the elevator WAY up. Finally got the plane trimmed and it flew pretty well, but heavy. I had to fly it as WOT to get decent speed and vertical - I was a bit disappointed in the performance - the plane just feels TOO heavy for a 60. (btw - I'm an aggressive aerobatic flyer - I like speed and vertical. I had this RV-3 flying inverted - did some inverted loops.) My one structural fear on this plane was that the wing would fold, so I made gradual transitions. She held, but I'm not planning on doing any quick, drastic maneuvers going forward.)

THEN - on landing approach, the plane goes WAY nose-up! I had to elevator it down to get it to come in. My gut is that my gas tank is too far forward and, as it gets lighter when eating up fuel, the CG moves backwards. Am I right? Though it's only a 16oz tank - on a 25lb plane I'm wondering of a 16oz of fuel (or more like 10oz) would really make that much difference to the CG. btw - I have no idea what the CG should be on this plane - can anyone help me on that? Is it normal for some planes to "nose-up" on slow-down \ landing approach?

So - then on the fourth flight (I was seeming to get a handle on how to fly this bird) on landing approach I must have been going too slow, leaning too far back, and it tip-stalled at about 20ft. I leveled it off, but it still slammed into the grass pretty hard, ripping the engine \ firewall and the main gear off. Maybe some internal wing damage (to check). It's fixable, but I'm wondering if a) should I put a 4.2ci (68cc) engine in this heavy beast, (or is it already nose-heavy and that would make it worse), and b) should I completely re-arrange the insides to get the tank right at the CG (whatever THAT is) to make the plane fuel-use neutral.

Also the canopy was badly cracked, but I taped up - but still looks bad up close. A guy at the field said he knows someone who can make a clear canopy for me (after making a mold from mine) so I have good hope on that front. I love the look of this plane - want to do her justice and get her up there and performing.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Mike D
Whitestone, Queens, NY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-3 at Bethpage 2.JPG
Views:	1189
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2113033   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-3 at Bethpage 1.JPG
Views:	1162
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2113034  

Last edited by microdon2; 08-06-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:22 AM
smithfj

Mike,
That is a nice looking bird. Your wing is a constant chord so balance at 25% to 30 % of the chord . I'd go with the 25% first and adjust from there. I wouldn't worry about the fuel tank but make sure it's empty when you balance. Since it is a low wing balance it upside down. I would think that the engine you have should have sufficient power at 25 lbs. I flew my mustang which was over 24 lbs. with a Zenoah G-45. I'm not much of a trim expert but I would go with the basic setup and hopefully some of the other modelers will jump in and give more recommendations. Good luck and keep 'em flying.
Frank
Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Frank -

Thanks so much. I'll take your advice on the CG front. I'm hoping she's nose-heavy, so that I can move the battery way back. Maybe that will smooth out the flying trim and characteristics. Will be a few weeks, though, till I have her fixed up and back in the air. Will keep you posted.

Mike D
Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I WAS thinking about building one of these....
Old 08-06-2015, 03:02 PM
smithfj

Mike you will be nose heavy if you go with 25%.
Steve, you will enjoy the build but it is a lot of work. Make sure you get plenty of aileron throw. I now have 1-1/4 inch each way and wish I had more. You can always dial back on them with the newer radios.
I think it is a pretty bird and the wings look like boogie boards. LOL
Frank
Old 08-07-2015, 01:49 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Frank, i don't mind the work, i enjoy building as well as flying but there seems to be some issues with the design with the miss-haps that have taken place. If i am wrong please tell me.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 AM
smithfj

Steve, I'm sure you won't have many problems with the build. I think my aileron issue was of my own making by not getting the leading edge of the ailerons right. By that I mean redesigning the leading edge of the aileron to my liking and maybe getting the profile to large. Wendell did a good job making the canopy open like the real bird but I don't know if I'd do it that way again. If you don't get the fuselage straight in the hinge area you end up with a mess like I did. You really need to think that area through before putting any adhesives down. Those were my areas of concern. My maiden flight, although not exactly perfect, revealed a truly pretty bird and smooth flight characteristics up until the canopy opened and I got to slow on the landing approach. I believe it is a great build and you will get frustrated with the mass of the bird and find it takes up space fast in the work area. Go for it.
Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.