Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Clevis failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Clevis failure

When was the last time you checked the clevises on your older aircraft? I removed the clevis and it just snap in half.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	994_2746.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	2113812  
Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a few break on me over the years CARSII... some dubro, some sullivan... sometimes they're just too brittle; not tempered properly after heat treating... I see in your photo some corrosion on the inside of the clevis, close to the point where it was soldered onto the metal rod... if you used acid based flux to solder those on, and didn't thoroughly wash the flux residue away, then over the years corrosion just set in... when you use an acid based flux with solder, after soldering the clevis on, use some baking soda mixed in some water and scrub the soldered ends with it using an old toothbrush... about a tablespoon to 4 ounces of water, scrub it well and rinse it off well, and dry it off with some "can of air" or paper towel.

John M,
Old 08-11-2015, 01:44 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also had the clevis pin fall out,and I lost a Dynaflite Spitfire to a cracked threaded solder connector.You could tell when you looked at the end 3/4 was all ready broke,with a 1/4 fresh break.jeffo
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Cars ll

From you picture it looks like acid core solder was used, hence the corrosion, and then the failure, Ie: insufficent cleaning after the joint was made, Back in the hand soldering days in electronics cleaning was the biggest problem as it caused the most failures.

Please don't take this wrong it's just something we saw a lot of back when I worked in the industry a sign we had in one of our shops
said CLEAN THEN CLEAN IT AGAIN.
One more thing even rosin in solder and the kind you add by hand can and will do the same thing, just not as quick.

Now I will go back and lay down by my dish

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-12-2015, 04:45 PM
John_M_

Bob, you and I are on the same page; you must be from the old school !

You can get pockets in the solder wick that trap the acid flux; best way to stop that from happening is to super clean the metals, and with proper heat management, the solder wicks in with100% penetration... I use to do a lot of metal work back when I was an apprentice; learned a lot from the old boys like you and I... shame we don't have apprenticeships anymore... they can't learn everything from the internet, or by reading a book, they need hands on experience taught by someone with experience (hand me down knowledge)

John M,
Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 PM
rt3232

Yea I am an OLD Geezer 83 3/4 I did not do much sheet metal work, but lots of electronics and the rules are still the same.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-12-2015, 06:47 PM
John_M_

Wow 83, you sound sharp as a tack, and you got 20 years on me... electronics background, very nice... you ever seen lemon juice used as a cleaner / flux in a flow wave solder machine?.

John M,
Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM
rt3232

John
Back when I was lead mfg engineer at the beginning of the Apollo ground support program, we had to help develop the wave soldering machine's the first one's were flat and would leave a lot of things to tor hand tuchup and that is ware we did the 5 deg angle and a duel wave, and I do remember a flux that was yellow, but my memory banks are not what they used to be , then to vapor faze soldering and just be for I left the industry we were working with infer red units.

Being sharp is just "Use it or Lose it", so I am always tinkering for my own satisfaction, and I still work part time to pay for the hobby and talk to people but the body is telling me I am full of it as you can tell from my rant.

Cheers Bob T

Ps f we don't quit the fun police will be after us. He He
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 PM
John_M_

LoL, well working on the Apollo program / engineer, tells me all I need to know about you... I agree, "use it or loose it", you're one up on me Bob, and doing very well indeed... that's why I keep at this hobby to keep active... I too still work, out of my garage as a part time auto mechanic... worked at a dealership for many years, then in 2008 the crash just dragged us down, so I went my own way... works out better as I can set my own hours.

Here in California, they (the epa) tried using lemon juice as a flux on none critical circuit boards, game, sound systems, etc... it failed miserably, because the lemon juice would wick up the legs of capacitors and just get in places where it would not rinse out properly... circuits failed from corrosion to the point the components actually fell off the board... the new surface mount technology took care of that problem.

Never stop having fun !!

John M,
Old 08-14-2015, 03:06 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use clevises on giant scale. Instead I use ball links seems to me that clevises are kinda flimsy for the torque required on giant scale
Old 08-14-2015, 03:25 AM
rt3232

Hay jetmech

For every thing but the choke I use ball links and inside and out a washer to capture the link when it popp's off the ball
but that is just me

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 AM
CARS II

Not at all.

Thank you all for your postings and tips.

I'm probably the youngest of all at 50
Old 08-15-2015, 11:54 AM
rt3232

Hay Carlos

Us OLD geezers call you 50 year old's wiper snappers , but we still learn for every one were just a bit slower.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-16-2015, 04:38 PM
CARS II

Lol
Old 08-18-2015, 05:25 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a ball link failure
Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 PM
rt3232

Over the 30 + years I have been building and flying R/C I have had 2 and both were well worn, coast me 2 birds, hence the washers.

But like I said that is just me, as I am a believer in doing what works for your self.

Cheers Bob T