Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Flair 1/4 Scale PT-17 Stearman Review

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Flair 1/4 Scale PT-17 Stearman Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outacontrol41
What engine ?
Looks like one of the Evolution radials.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Appowner
Looks like one of the Evolution radials.
Yes, it does. The 77-7 ….. looks like a perfect fit.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Its a perfect fit
Old 09-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Cybertom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the way you got the collector ring to fit into the cowl. Nicely done!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Cybertom

That's the replacement engine for my R780. Should be a much better match all the way around.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:05 PM
rickj
My Feedback: (213)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice---well done.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM
chasrb

Tom, you're still out there! How the heck are you?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 AM
chasrb

What great work! I like the overlap areas on the center section. I never thought of that.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:01 PM
barzini

Default Flair Stearman

Thank You,Here are a couple more pictures.Now i go through a nervous stage until i get the courage to do a maiden flight.

Last edited by barzini; 10-11-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM
chasrb

Really well done! I have to admit...I have yet to maiden mine, been at least 5 years since I finished it. With work and all the grandkids I have not had time to fly in the last two years at all.

I don't see flying and landing wires or are they real faint, did you omit them or reinforced the structure?

My engine has a Keleo front collector ring that Kelvin himself put on. Funny thing is after he did he said he would not make them anymore because of the PITA it is to get them on. The reason they are so difficult is that Seidel Radials quality control or not, did not maintain a consistent cylinder placement - the intake and exhaust ports varied.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by chasrb
.................... The reason they are so difficult is that Seidel Radials quality control or not, did not maintain a consistent cylinder placement - the intake and exhaust ports varied.
Sounds to me like Seidel continued to engineer the design on production engines.

Or maybe there's a reason I never bought one.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:49 AM
David51

Hi all, been lurking around RCU for a while, time to come out in the open. I'm trying to decide on my winter build project, and I've just taken my Flair Stearman kit out of storage to check it over. I've had it about 12 years or so and always intend to build it next, then something else takes my fancy. Anyway, I would like to build it now with a real radial engine rather than the dummy unit supplied in the kit.

I know several have built this model using the EVO 7-77, so I started to look for one. They seem to have become unavailable. I'm in the UK, so I found Morris Mini Motors (can't post URLs as I'm a newbie here - it's morrisminimotors.com) who are the UK agents for UMS and paid him a visit (he's about 50 miles from me). He said that UMS are no longer making engines for Horizon and that they are selling direct themselves. He also said that they are moving to gas (petrol) engines and away from glow. He claims to have worked with UMS to improve the designs and fix the things that were problems with the earlier engines, such as the carbs and shedding pushrods.

The old 7-35 size is now a 7-50, the 7-77 is a 7-90 and the 9-99 is a 9-115. They are the same physical size as the equivalent glow engines but bored out to the larger capacity. All come complete with collector rings, ignition system and dinky little electric fuel pumps.
The old 7-35 glow was rated at 2.2hp and weighed 3.1lb, the new 7-50 gas at 4.8hp and 4.5lb. The old 7-77 glow was rated at 4.8hp and weighed 5.7lb, the new 7-90 gas at 6hp and 7lb.

The new gas engine are much more expensive - GBP 1285 for the 7-77 glow vs GBP 1921 for the 7-90 gas for example.

So - which one to use in the Stearman? The 7-35 and 7-50 are too small for scale, and probably not man enough. I know from ploughing through this thread and others that the 7-77 glow flies the model fine and is more of a scale size (although still a little small), but the new 7-90 is quite a bit heavier as well as quite a bit more powerful.

Did those of you who fitted the 7-77 have to add nose weight to balance? Would the 7-90 be too heavy in an already pretty porky model?
I would be very grateful for your views on this.
Thanks, David
Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 AM
barzini

DAVID,
I just checked the balance on my Flair Stearman using my friends Xicoy cg balancer.My Stearman has the 7-77 radial on it and I was balancing the plane as I was building it since there is limited access to the inside of this model after it is covered.I just kept picking it up with my fingers as I was building to the cg point noted on the plans.I positioned my servos under the rear cockpit and my receiver and big onboard glow battery there because I knew it would be nose heavy with the Evolution radial up front.When I put it on the Xicoy balancer it was right on and when I fill the 32 once tank with fuel it should be a little nose heavy which should be fine.I suggest you frame up the entire plane completely build the skeleton and balance as you build.Once you cover the fuselage the only access is through the cockpits.Its a great kit and you should read the addendum regarding adding more positive incidence to the stab which was supposed to prevent climbing on acceleration.I haven't maidened mine yet but I saw one fly at Wabirds over Delaware with 55cc gas engine and It flew real nice.Good Luck with the build.
Tony
Old 10-19-2018, 05:23 AM
Appowner
Banned

Don't know if you've gone to the manufactures web site or not. UMS Engines

They still list the 7-77 so maybe Morris can order one or you can get it direct.

I've dealt with Morris long distance for a number of things. Seems a good fellow! Always been helpful to me.

Hmmm! 4 nine cylinders and a set of B-17 plans............................

Last edited by Appowner; 10-19-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM
David51

Thank you Barzini and Appowner. I think the UMS 7-77 glow is the way to go for me. I think I was being seduced by the potential increased reliability of the spark ignition gas version, but it is 1.5 lbs heavier and more powerful than I need, as well as being 50% more expensive.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 AM
waterloowoody

This is the Ad that I am running in the Ann Arbor, Michigan Auto and Rv trader.....

For Sale, New In the Original Box...... $975......Stearman, Boeing PT-17, Flair, Balsa, 1/4 Scale RC aircraft kit, new in the original box never touched. I purchased this kit new on January 14th, 2005 from Radical RC in Dayton, Ohio. I have looked at the plans and leafed through the builders instruction manual. I am not interested in trades, nor do I want to ship this aircraft kit. I am willing to drive 200 miles to deliver this kit to the new owner or meet at hobby shop of your choice for inspection of kit at no additional cost. Method of payment will be cash. I will do my best to promptly reply to your questions or to provide additional pictures.
Please include "Flair PT-17" in the subject of any of your notes so I can sort out the fake ones.
Phone, not cell, is 734-four seven five-7950
Thank you for your interest.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 PM
xradarusa
My Feedback: (8)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Searched forever and finally found one.......a nib Flair Stearman at the Monroe Swap meet in WA. Could not believe my luck and bought it immediately, no haggling, 600 bucks, believe me the three hour drive home was a really happy one.

But beware of those must haves. Made it to the top wings and am not a big fan of this kit. Why use one part when ten will do?? Make everything out of plywood?? Make huge lightening holes everywhere leaving little rib wood so they break 4 and 5 times. Every rib has to be modified to fit on the spar. Heavy complicated construction?? Plenty of junky abs. Flip plans over for the other wing half?? The flair Fokker and Sopwith were the best kits I ever built. And yes I have built hundreds of kits and a few airplanes from plans.........only built two arfs ever.
Just do not like the kit that much. Anyway......
Old 04-12-2019, 07:01 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I inherited the kit from a friend of mine. I must say that the kit is way over built to the point of being a bother to construct. Why on earth was it designed the way it was is any one's guess. Unnecessary complex wing attachments. I will say the building is pretty straight forward so that's a plus.
I eventually tired of building it and gave it to another friend. At that point it was just about built but not covered. He finished with the build and covered and painted it.
The plane flies decently. He powered it with a Saito 325 Radial which was enough power.
The plane was crashed and given to a fellow who said he was going to rebuild/repair.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM
outacontrol41

For anyone interested, I just listed my partially finished Flair PT-17 Stearman kit in the classifieds. Trying to make some room in the hobby shop. This was kept as a spare to the original Stearman I sold a couple years ago. Grab this rare kit while you can.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:03 PM
xradarusa
My Feedback: (8)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Almost ready to cover

Rounding into shape, and just about ready to cover.

Abby guarding the Stearman

Large Airplane really.

Quite a few pieces to glue together.

My guard dog.

Covering right aroun the corner.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:46 PM
outacontrol41

Nice. Got another one of those for sale in buy and sell. Sale is pending currently.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:46 PM
outacontrol41

Old 09-03-2019, 11:14 PM
barzini

Default Flair Stearman

I finally flew the Flair Stearman yesterday and it flew great! I put in some down trim and thats all it needed.The Evolution 7-77 Radial is plenty of power turning a 24x10 prop at 5200 RPM's
I flew most of the flight at half throttle.Very pleased with it.I did not have any flying wires on the plane.
Im really not sure if they were intended to be functional since the tabs are only glued into the wing and would be a real pain to hook up at the field. If anyone thinks different let me know.
Thanks,Barzini
Old 09-04-2019, 04:40 AM
rickj
My Feedback: (213)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

barzini,

I am happy to hear all went well on you flight. I have the same
engine and hope to have mine going next spring. If you have
some pics, please share.

Thanks, Rick
Old 09-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Edhamp

Hi Barzani,

Lovely Stearman. Yes the flying wires are not needed but they will add strength if fitted. When this kit first came out years ago these powerfull radials were not avaiable so as long as you do not overstress things all should be well. Mine was built some time ago. Instead of having the engine on show and spoiling the look, I fitted a full dummy engine with a Fuji BT43 hidden behind. The models flies well but scale like, no unlimited verticals!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.