Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Thanks Charlie, it was a lot of work. I'll let you know how it flies.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CharlieK

Looks great Ken, That looked like a major repair job. Bet it flies as good as new.
Charliek
For Ken that is an average repare job. In our world a major repair is when you start the rebuild with only the tail wheel and rudder hinges left.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Big_Bird

This afternoon I flew the Jungie 2 times. I put it through all of the aerobatics that I could think of and it performed very well. It's good to go for the next flyin.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Big_Bird

Today I flew the Jungie 3 times. It flies great. My friend Jim flew his Tigermoth the first time today after the wings folded. In fact he flew it several times. It is a true scale work of art. The sticks and rudder peddles operate with the ailerons and rudder. Another guy had borrowed his pilot temporarily. I thought you might like to see the photos. Both planes were designed by Gary Allen.

http://www.gtrcc.org/forum/viewtopic...&t=43&p=87#p87
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
bigdaddy
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for posting the recent photos. Am interested as to why your buddies Tiger Moth wings folded? Rigging wires not adequate? Failure of those threaded couplers you warned about? Spars of material not strong enough or to small? Spars integrity compromised by shifting wood grain or perhaps a hole drilled into the spar for a mounting reason? Structure overstressed by flying in a manner which exceeds VNE? Do you have any ideas what caused the structure to fail, and/or how to prevent same? Still drool over your Bucker. Have plans and FG parts for my own. Thanks Jerry
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Jerry,

Right after I read your post I called Jim and told him what you asked. He still isn't sure what exactly gave up first due to the damage inflicted. The clevises were OK. He thinks that the structure in the fuselage that carries the flying wire load across the bottom of the fuselage broke. That area has been beefed up a lot. He doesn't think the fittings were at fault.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
CharlieK

Hi ken,
Having survived 2 minor and one major surgery I am on chemo and back to work on the Jungie. The good thing is I will have more time to work on it because I have quit working at the airport. Could you tell me where you got your full bodied pilot figure and also what it is covered with. I have been looking for a pilot because I am close to doing the cockpit and need to decide on the covering. Hope to start the gear this week then the radio setup and detailing.
Thanks
Charliek
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Big_Bird

Glad you are doing better. The pilot was a DGA kit that is no longer being sold. I wish I could find another one. It contained the molded head, gloves and boots and the sewing patterns for the body and clothes that I made.

It is very hard to find a 1/3 scale full body pilot that looks good and is affordable.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Göran

Hi Ken Glad you are back in the air with your Jungie, looks like new. I really like Jungie. About pilot in scale 1:3 or other scale.
I bought mine pilots from AH design. You can send an photo to AH design, how you want to the pilot shall look like.
I have AH design pilot in my Jungie, Corsair, Mustang etc
http://www.thepilotpeople.co.uk/

/Göran
Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
CharlieK

Thanks Goran,
They look like they have good looking pilots and reasonable prices compared to what I have seen for busts in the U>S>
Charliek
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 AM
dorjes
My Feedback: (19)

Great job rebuilding the Jungie, Ken! I'm still trying to talk Gary into a 40 % since he has a DA 100 ready to use. I think I'm getting there.

Gary and I are headed to Top Gun to fly the Tiger Moth in Team Scale. If you're down that way stop in and say hello.

Top Gun will also see the debut of Gary's latest design, the 35 % Bucker Jungmann, and the attached pics are of the protoype built from the bare bones by Matt Chapman, Gary's friend in Pennsylvania. This is THE Matt Chapman who flies the full scale yellow Cap 580 seen in the background of a couple of the pics. Matt will be sharing the tent with us with the Jungmann at Top Gun.

Buckers forever!

Dorin Luck

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97215.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1425585   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45858.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1425586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11128.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1425587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11465.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1425588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71526.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1425589  
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Big_Bird

Thanks a lot Dorin. I love the way the Jungie flies. I think a 40% Jungie would be just right for a 100 cc engine. I hope that if he does it he will let someone else handle the plans because M.A.N. has a tendency to loose the master.

I'm sure the Jungmann that Matt is taking down will be a real hit. I wish you and Gary the best of luck with the Tiger Moth.

Buckers forever!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
txaggie08

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread, so link me to the right post if it's been explained...

What exactly is a "short" kit in this instance? Is this only laser cut and fiberglass components or? I have uilt kits(correctly) before, and this looks like a cool project, but I am not at all setup for full scratch building.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: txaggie08

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread, so link me to the right post if it's been explained...

What exactly is a ''short'' kit in this instance? Is this only laser cut and fiberglass components or? I have uilt kits(correctly) before, and this looks like a cool project, but I am not at all setup for full scratch building.
Usually a short kit includes ribs and formers. You supply everything else. Of course ribs and formers take the longest to cut out. Contact the supplier of the short kit for more details.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Donairplane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys, I have a short kit I 'm going to list soon. Bucker 1/3 scale by Gary Allan. Or pm me. Don.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 AM
bunsen

Hi

I have been working on a 29% version of the Gary Allen plans painted as U79. I am at the point of doing the fuselage markings and I am looking for the correct German stencil font. Was hoping that somebody might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

ray

Name:	Ax73044.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1442179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31323.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1442180  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It looks like you already have the font in your second picture.. What do you want, dry transfers, decals?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Big_Bird

Hi Ray,

Try this. You can reduce it to the size you need and use a PC printer to print on water slide decal paper or on Avery 8665 ink jet clear self adhesive paper. In either case spray 3 or four coats of clear gloss Krylon on before cutting out the decals.

Your plane sure looks good. What engine are you using?

Name:	Jh15552.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1442199  
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Big_Bird

BobH that second photo is from the side of the full scale Jungmeister. The font that is shown above in the photo closely resembles the Swiss font. The font type is shown at the top of the photo.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
bunsen

Thanks for the response.

BobH
As Big_Bird noted the second picture is from the real U79. Included it as a reference point for the font type. I have it, and some other pictures, as follow up from the contact info. Big_Bird supplied a while back for the owner who is a really nice fellow.

Big_Bird
Thanks for the info on the markings. That is a real help.
The engine is a MOKI 210. Spent a fair amount of time trying to find an engine that would fit within the cowl without cutouts. The glow plug aligns with one of the "rocker bumps" on the cowl. This last week I have been breaking in the engine and setting the needle/low end mixture. I hope to fly it in the next week or so.

Next step will be the markings and such.

It has been an interesting build. The information in this thread has been a huge help. :-)

Cheers
Ray

Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ray, if you don't mind paying you could send what you have to Pro-mark and Jerry can make fuel proof dry transfers for the plane. Just an option.. In fact you can scan them, give him the needed sizes (not the scale size but the real size you need) amd email them to him.
Just give him a call to discuss it with him. He's a good guy to work with.. Just don't expect them to be super cheap. I think you get what you pay for
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Big_Bird

Ray, sure glad this thread has been a big help. That was the intention.

Good luck on the maiden flight. Be sure to give us a report.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:14 PM
bunsen

Hi

First flight today with the Bucker. Engine ran fine but was a bit tail heavy. Sort of exciting at first. Needed some down elevator trim for level flight. Balanced per the plans and double checked with the guys at the field so not sure what is going on but will be moving the RCV battery forward tomorrow to move the CG up a bit.

Had a bit of crosswind but tracked just OK on takeoff. Once the tail pops up was good to go. Ran with a bit of throttle to right rudder mixing so maybe that helped.

Plane made it down in one piece and everything looks fine so in a couple of days will go at it again and should be much better. John Glezellis was a great help which I really appreciate. :-)

Neglected to take any pictures at the field so next time should have pictures.

All in all a good day and I am very happy . :-)

Ray
Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Big_Bird

Congratulations Ray. That was quite an accomplishment.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
bunsen

Hi Ken

I think I know why it came out a bit tail heavy.

What I have been doing is placing it on the bench and have two people lift it up at the CG point and see if it hangs level which it seemed to.

To do this a different way I blocked up the plane on the bench, sitting on the landing gear, with the bottom wing at zero degrees using a Robart incidence meter. Measured the stab/elevator and it is very close to zero degrees. THe top wing measured just about -1 degree. Prop looks to be vertical. Looking at it this way the tail is pretty high up off the table.

With the plans reduced to 29% the CG point is supposed to be about a half an inch behind the rear cabane.

When we now lifted it up at the CG point the wheels came up first followed by the tail. My expectation is that it should just come up off the wheels and tail wheel at the same time. Whoops....

What I did next was move the RCV battery pack forward to just behind the fire wall and added about 7 oz of lead up front. Doing it this way the front wheels and the tail wheel both came up at the same time which seems perfect.

The impact was to move the CG point forward about 5/8 of an inch to where it should be. Or at least I hope so.

If the weather is OK next Wed I will get together with John and give it a whirl.

Cheers

Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.