Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Kwesdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions about engine selection since this will be my first one.

I am currently deployed to Iraq but before I came here I was training down in Sierra Vista, AZ to fly UAVs. In my spare time I flew at the field down there and it didn't take long for me to be sold on the benefits of gas.

Anyways I bought a BME edge II last year (right before the edge IIIs came out). I have combed through this forum for 3 days now doing all kinds of research on engines and really haven't found anything bad about any of the engines I have been looking at. Only things I have found is some people tend to fly only BME and some only DA and some only conversions but not to many quality unbiased comparisons for me to use in my selection.

What I would like to ask is what engine offers the best ease of set-up and installation by someone who is beginning in gas (I have flown glow and electric for several years)? Also whats best for reliability and service and maintainace intervals down the road? Whats easiest to mount etc...? BME 50, BME 55 extreme, DA-50, a conversion/new airplane engine company or something I didn't mention here. When factoring in ease of use and service $$$ is not a factor in which engine I buy.

I also plan on starting to fly in IMAC (basic/sportsman for now) with 3D thrown in the mix at times.

Any input or advise would be a great help.

Harry

Old 04-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

You can't go wrong with any of the engines you mentioned.
DA, BME, 3W, Brison, and Taurus are all good engines with electronic ignitions.
I lean towards DA and BME but it is from personal preference.
I also own a Brison 32. that I will not part with. It is also a great engine!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Rickles56

I live in Tucson, just north of Sierra Vista and the Desert Aircraft factory is in town here. I own a DA-50-R and it is the best running, most powerful 50cc engine I have ever used. I haven't had any planes larger than 33% so I can't comment on the DA-engines above 100cc. They are about to release a 75cc single cylinder in May I believe if you need something a bit stronger than the DA-50 but it'a a 5 horsepower engine already! I agree that many people around here use 3W engines as well but DA is definately the big seller in these parts. Everyone that ownes one will tell you that they like the engine. It comes out of the box set up, ready to fly. It needs to be broken in but all you have to do is run a 32:1 mixture for 4 gallons and then tweak the needles a tiny bit and then use a 100:1 mixture from that point on. I can't say enough good about the DA-engines. I also own a couple of Zenoah engines and other than their heavy weight, they are also a very reliable engine, easy to break in and use but the weight makes them a bad choice for a 3D plane in my opinion. I think you will find the 3W engines a good choice as well. Good luck with your plane and I hope you put a DA in it!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Kwesdog

Yeah is hard to argue about DA or at least with the people I spoke to down in AZ. I had the pleasure of getting to fly with Chip Hyde on many occasions and see his airplanes with DAs on them when I was down there. They were wonderful performing engines even at roughly 5000 ft MSL.

Harry
Old 04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

I have the ZDZ 50 NG. It has proven itself to be a very reliable and powerful engine. Over 5 gallons or fuel and never a deadstick. Weight wise and ease of mounting and servicing I find it hard to beat.

Harry
Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'd get a DA just for the service... they are awesome to work with and will often repair an engine for little or nothing... and fast. They really want to keep customers for life and it shows.

That being said, I've never had anything but ZDZ and DA... I prefer DA between the 2. In the 50cc class it is my understanding that all brands are about equiv in power... it just boils down to preference.

I have to tell you... I don't really miss Iraq. Take care of yourself over there.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Kwesdog

Great input guys and thanks.

Even the small input helps. Kind of a new learning curve for me with gas so I am glad I have a little time over here to sit and do my research before I make an impulse buy.

Harry
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Rickles56

Desert Aircraft tells me they are about ready to release their 4-cyl 200cc engine about the same time as their 75cc engine come out. Chip is one of a lucky few that has one of the prototype 200cc 4cyl DA's. He is one great pilot, I have met and talked with him on occasion as well, being from the same area of Arizona. I don't think you can go wrong with a DA engine.

ORIGINAL: Kwesdog

Great input guys and thanks.

Even the small input helps. Kind of a new learning curve for me with gas so I am glad I have a little time over here to sit and do my research before I make an impulse buy.

Harry
Old 04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm putting a Zenoah G-62 on my BME Edge.

These planes have a reputation for building out tail heavy. You might need the added weight up front to balance it without pulling your hair out. Do a search in the ARF forum. There is a HUGE thread on the BME Edge. You will find a few comments about this plane in the Giant Scale forum, but most of the good dirt is in the ARF forum. Just type in BME Edge in the search function in the ARF forum. It won't take you long to start reading about how tail heavy it is and what a pain in the backside it is to balance it with a lightweight 50 size engine.

The comments about not using a Zenoah for 3D is BS. I've got Zenoah G-62 engines on 2 planes right now, and they weigh 15.5 pounds and 17 pounds. I fly at almost 5000' elevation. Turn a 22-10 at 7300RPM. Anyone who thinks this engine isn't good for 3D is just repeating BS and myth that they've read here. They've most likely never even HAD a Zenoah engine. Come on out to Pueblo and I'll show you what a G-62 will do to a 16 pound airplane. Knock your 50cc engine in the dirt. Yank that plane straight up at 1/2 throttle. A Zenoah G-62 weighs more than all the 50cc engines because it's got 12cc more displacement. Thats not free cubic inches. Cubic inches isn't free. It's going to cost you something to get more cubes. Yeah, your going to have to pay a weight penalty for those extra cubes. Your also going to swing significantly more prop than any 50cc engine on the market. You show me a stock 50cc engine with stock exhaust that will turn a 22-10 at 7300RPM and I'll give you $50,000 for it. Never happen.

You can buy a stock G-62 for about $300--$350. You can buy a used G-62 for $250--$300. You can't hardly break them. They will run for hundreds and hundreds of gallons before they need service. Put an aftermarket muffler on it for $35 if you want a basic B&B exhaust divertor, or a $100 wrap-around pitts. Still cheaper and more powerful than any 50cc engine out there. And, like I said, you might need the weight to balance it.

I'd much rather have a nose-heavy plane and fix that with a battery shift or 1/4oz of lead in the tail. Tail heavy planes are a pain in the butt to fix. Slap a BME50 on that plane and your going to be pulling your hair out trying to fix a tail heavy condition.

Speaking from experience--not from my butt.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Rickles56

Wow Rcpilet, got a little anger there? I am also a fan of Zenoah engines and I do have them like I said. I do favor a DA over a Zen when it comes to 3D because there is no Zen that weighs 3lbs and produces 5 hp. Zen's use magneto ingition and the weight of the flywheel, coil and magnets is considerable. You don't see any world class 3D pilots using Zenoah engines in their planes, the reason is the weight to power ratio. Zenoah's are a very good engine and they are considerably less expensive than a DA or 3W as I am sure anyone who is looking will discover. I am also sure most people that will spend $500 - $1000 on a 3D plane will go the extra cost to get a high power world class engine in it as well. Zenoah's are great for Scale Warbirds and multi engine planes because of their undeniable reliability, IMHO.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Rcpilot

Me angry? Not at all. My comments weren't directed at you.

But, since your directly responding to me, I'll play along:

A DA50 doesn't weigh 3lbs. More myth. It might weigh 3lbs BARE, but by the time you put a muffler on it (required to fly) and an ignition (required to fly) and an ignition battery (required to fly) --your up to 4lbs. The 3lb DA50 is another myth.

Anyone who believes manufacturer HP ratings has a bit of learning to do IMO. Everyone knows that those numbers are about as accurate as a Polish watch. Go and read as much as you can around here. I don't think you'll find too many guys talking favorably about HP numbers published by manufacturers. They just aren't believable.

There's no way your going to convince me that a DA50 will put out the same or more HP than a 60cc engine. Go read the thread in the Gas Engines forum by RC Bugman where he is testing one of the G-62 engines. It's already been shown that the G-62 puts out MORE HP than the DA50.

Here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4111028

RCADDICTION:
Actually, the horsepower to drive a prop does not increase linearly with an increase in rpm. It goes up to the 3rd power of the increase in rpm. Assuming the prop efficiency isn't change a lot from 7200 to 8200 rpm, that translates to around 47% more horsepower. (8200/7200) to the 3rd power = 1.477, or 47% increase
PRIEVERS:
Ditto,
I calculate the bolly at 4.51 hp at 7200, and 6.13 hp at 8200 , for zenoah (~100 hp/litre). Power ratings are:
12.5 hp per 1000 rpm per liter for the 3W 50
12.19 hp per 1000 rpm per liter for the Zenoah 62.
RC BUGMAN:
Engine rpms using a 22 x 8 Bolly composite.

3W-50 = 7200 with pitts muffler

G-62 Lite with a Abel Hobbies muffler = 8200 rpms
RC Bugman
From my experience, the 3W-50 and the DA-50 are roughly equal in power. I think the 3W-50 has a slight edge in power but the G-62 has them both beat according to my initial rpm runs.

RCIGN1
G62 s have been characterized for YEARS as overweight, under powered boat anchors...We knew better, but it's hard to convince the EXPERTS at the local flying fields, many who have not owned one...
The guy (KWESDOG) is SPECIFICALLY asking about the BME Edge. And I just happen to HAVE one. If you'll take the time to go over to the ARF forum and read the thread on this plane--you will see that it builds out tail heavy.

KWESDOG:
What I would like to ask is what engine offers the best ease of set-up and installation by someone who is beginning in gas (I have flown glow and electric for several years)? Also whats best for reliability and service and maintainace intervals down the road? Whats easiest to mount etc...? BME 50, BME 55 extreme, DA-50, a conversion/new airplane engine company or something I didn't mention here. When factoring in ease of use and service $$$ is not a factor in which engine I buy.
Thats specifically WHY I recommended the G-62. Easy to set up. Good engine for a beginner. Reliability. Easy to mount. Ease of use.

And the plane he is building will be TAIL HEAVY with a DA or BME 50. Why put him through that on his FIRST gasser?

I gave him advice to put a heavier, and more powerfull motor on the plane because it's not easy to fix a tail heavy plane. It's simple to fix a nose heavy plane. But, I doubt it would be nose heavy even with e G-62 on the firewall.

My comments were right on target to help the guy get setup easy and without having to fight a tail heavy condition. Your suggesting that he put a DA50 on the plane just because you percieve it to be so much lighter--was in fact, the worse thing he could do to the plane. It will only exacerbate the tail heavy condition, and make his chances of success all that much harder to achieve.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:13 AM
Rickles56

The DA-50-R engine weighs 2.94 lbs bare. It turns a 22x8 to a 24-8 prop. 23x8 is best for my plane. I will let you know rpm when it is broken in after 4 more gallons, right now it is doing 9100 with a 32:1 mixture

I am really glad you are so happy with your G62. Obviously you have had great success with it. I have had great success with Zen engines as well but not in any 3D planes, I have NOT owned a G62. Right now, my favorite engine is the DA-50-R for a 15-17lb 3D type airplane. It is an excellent match as I have explaned. I am going to build a 101" Ziroli B25 after I fininsh the B17 and G38's are recommended engines for the B25. Those are likely what I will use in it. You seem to think I am cutting down Zenoah, I am not. Maybe you should re-read my posts.

So with that, I say good luck and many more happy returns on your setups with Zenoah. If you ever get a chance to own a DA engine, you will see the difference between a high performance gas engine and a standard gas engine. Btw, I also mentioned above that DA is coming out with a 75cc in May. I am sure it will be a super engine like all DA engines are... Have a good one dude!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I'm putting a Zenoah G-62 on my BME Edge.

These planes have a reputation for building out tail heavy. You might need the added weight up front to balance it without pulling your hair out. Do a search in the ARF forum. There is a HUGE thread on the BME Edge. You will find a few comments about this plane in the Giant Scale forum, but most of the good dirt is in the ARF forum. Just type in BME Edge in the search function in the ARF forum. It won't take you long to start reading about how tail heavy it is and what a pain in the backside it is to balance it with a lightweight 50 size engine.

The comments about not using a Zenoah for 3D is BS. I've got Zenoah G-62 engines on 2 planes right now, and they weigh 15.5 pounds and 17 pounds. I fly at almost 5000' elevation. Turn a 22-10 at 7300RPM. Anyone who thinks this engine isn't good for 3D is just repeating BS and myth that they've read here. They've most likely never even HAD a Zenoah engine. Come on out to Pueblo and I'll show you what a G-62 will do to a 16 pound airplane. Knock your 50cc engine in the dirt. Yank that plane straight up at 1/2 throttle. A Zenoah G-62 weighs more than all the 50cc engines because it's got 12cc more displacement. Thats not free cubic inches. Cubic inches isn't free. It's going to cost you something to get more cubes. Yeah, your going to have to pay a weight penalty for those extra cubes. Your also going to swing significantly more prop than any 50cc engine on the market. You show me a stock 50cc engine with stock exhaust that will turn a 22-10 at 7300RPM and I'll give you $50,000 for it. Never happen.

You can buy a stock G-62 for about $300--$350. You can buy a used G-62 for $250--$300. You can't hardly break them. They will run for hundreds and hundreds of gallons before they need service. Put an aftermarket muffler on it for $35 if you want a basic B&B exhaust divertor, or a $100 wrap-around pitts. Still cheaper and more powerful than any 50cc engine out there. And, like I said, you might need the weight to balance it.

I'd much rather have a nose-heavy plane and fix that with a battery shift or 1/4oz of lead in the tail. Tail heavy planes are a pain in the butt to fix. Slap a BME50 on that plane and your going to be pulling your hair out trying to fix a tail heavy condition.

Speaking from experience--not from my butt.

you are talking out your butt when you think the G-62 is the only engine that can turn a prop. My DA fiddy stock, with stock DA muffler turns a Mejzlic 22x10 7350 rpms . All day any day ....! O Yea and thats not at a weight penalty and 12 cc less. [X(]But on the other hand I was flying G-62s in 40# war birds before 3w DA and BME were even selling engines.

Kent
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Ken-h

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry,

Not to get in a Zenoah/DA debate I did want to point something out. Since you have the second version of the Edge you should not have any balance problems with the lighter motors. It was version I of the Edge that some were having balance problems with. There is a thread here in GS that is covering version II & III. The Zenoah will fly the airplane fine, but I think you will have more fun with one of the made for model airplane use motors such as DA, BME, 3W ect.

Ken
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: gonn for good

you are talking out your butt when you think the G-62 is the only engine that can turn a prop. My DA fiddy stock, with stock DA muffler turns a Mejzlic 22x10 7350 rpms . All day any day ....! O Yea and thats not at a weight penalty and 12 cc less. [X(]But on the other hand I was flying G-62s in 40# war birds before 3w DA and BME were even selling engines.

Kent
You need a new tach.

I'll let the tone of your post and your grammar reveal your credibility.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet
you have a lot of nerve to say something about the tone of a post. My tach is in fine working order, I'll put my DA beside the old G-62 anyday.

ORIGINAL: gonn for good

Kent
You need a new tach.

I'll let the tone of your post and your grammar reveal your credibility.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Rickles56

Come on guys, enough squibbling over which engine is better. Every pilot has a choice of engines, it depends on what kind of money we have to spend, what kind of performance we have to have and want and what is our favorite. Trying to stand off in this forum just makes it messy in here. Every engine manufacturer gives us the specs on their engines on their web sites so we can compare their notes whenever we want. Most all engines that are available to us today are good quality, high performance engines. Some have special applications and the manufaturer tells us these things in their ads for the engines. If you have a freind or two that has used an particular engine, then you can get some insight from him. Try to talk to more than one person however as each person has a different opinion. Simply saying "my engine is the best" is not very helpful to anyone.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Rcpilet,
I will send you a stock DA50 with stock muffler that will turn a mejzlik 22-10 at more than 7300 rpm's. I just need to see 1/2 of that $50,000.00 you mentioned in one of your previous posts as a down payment. If you are really serious, put your money where your mouth is. If not, leave it alone. BTW I'm sure there are a ton of others who own a DA50 that will take you up on your offer.
Jamie
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Rickles56

My thoughts exactly on the $50K... Gas engines are all pretty cool things to have in a model plane though. Bickering over who has more power is kind of childish when I think about it. However, if I could get to see that $50K, I would do the same thing and send a brand new DA50 for the test!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:36 AM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

These are my opinions based on past experiences
zenoah very reliable, user friendly, very heavy
DA very reliable, ready to go straight out of the box, great customer service
3W fantastic engine, it was a little tricky to get the needles adjusted
ZDZ very strong engine, probably the best power to weight, some times hard to start
If you plan on 3D flying I would use the DA 3W or ZDZ due to the light weight, If all you are interested in is sport scale type aerobatics the Zehoah would be fine
really though with any of the engines mentioned I dont think you would go wrong it all boils down to personel preference...
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a DA 50 on my BME Edge II. It's an awesome engine, balances great.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Harry,

First of all, thanks for serving our country, get home safely.

The link below is to a thread with some data on the available 50cc size engines, basically summarizing the All Up Weights of the engines. This might be of help to you also.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...tm.htm#3986027

Chuck
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Kwesdog

Thank you much for your suggestions. I havent been on here in a few days due to the internet cafe shutting down but I will look into everything.

No need to get all up in arms about what engine though everyone. Its not a big deal and not worth making this an angry post.

Thanks all and have a great day. I will follow up on everything when I accually have some time.

Thanks,

Harry
Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

You show me a stock 50cc engine with stock exhaust that will turn a 22-10 at 7300RPM and I'll give you $50,000 for it. Never happen.
very dangerous statement.i will put the tack on my 3w 50 with a master airscrew symitar 22x10 and get a witness to the rpm and then i will send you my address to send the money to
Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

as an answer to your question.i have a 3w 50 my nephew has a da 50 and they both run great.the da is easyer to get to the carb to hook it up,i think as putting the two airplanes side by side in the air several times my 3w will out pull the da 50 in straight up vertical.but like i said they both run fantastic engines and you can't go wrong with them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.