RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to gas. ???s about engine selection.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to gas. ???s about engine selection.

I live in Tucson, just north of Sierra Vista and the Desert Aircraft factory is in town here. I own a DA-50-R and it is the best running, most powerful 50cc engine I have ever used. I haven't had any planes larger than 33% so I can't comment on the DA-engines above 100cc. They are about to release a 75cc single cylinder in May I believe if you need something a bit stronger than the DA-50 but it'a a 5 horsepower engine already! I agree that many people around here use 3W engines as well but DA is definately the big seller in these parts. Everyone that ownes one will tell you that they like the engine. It comes out of the box set up, ready to fly. It needs to be broken in but all you have to do is run a 32:1 mixture for 4 gallons and then tweak the needles a tiny bit and then use a 100:1 mixture from that point on. I can't say enough good about the DA-engines. I also own a couple of Zenoah engines and other than their heavy weight, they are also a very reliable engine, easy to break in and use but the weight makes them a bad choice for a 3D plane in my opinion. I think you will find the 3W engines a good choice as well. Good luck with your plane and I hope you put a DA in it!