Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Bob and Charley,

The G38 in my friend Bob's Super Decathlon IS a Magneto engine from B&B Specialties. As far as I know there were no real issues bolting it on. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that he had to add about 12 oz. to the tail to make it balance. But...even so...the plane is incredibly light for it's size and has power to spare. I'm so impressed with how his turned out that I'm doing the exact setup on my new RC Guys SD but I'm adding smoke system. An EI on a G38 will prevent, possibly, adding the weight in the back, but my point is that the plane was built so light it doesn't even matter. Slap an 18 x 8 prop on there and go do some pretty looking loops and rolls just like the real plane. Have fun!

FYI...if you would like some photos of my friends plane...let me know. The really cool thing is...everything is enclosed except the ram injector for the carb. Really looks scale!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you didn't interpret my reply as a negative comment about the G-38...just an advisory about overall weight and balance.
And yes - I'm sure this will be "scale", with a little oomph the real one didn't have... can't wait.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
outacontrol41

No...point well taken. As you say, it will still have oomph the real one didn't have, and that itself is a plus. In my humble opinion...after watching it fly many times...I think it's the perfect 'scale' engine for this plane.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

Bob and Charley,

The G38 in my friend Bob's Super Decathlon IS a Magneto engine from B&B Specialties. As far as I know there were no real issues bolting it on. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that he had to add about 12 oz. to the tail to make it balance. But...even so...the plane is incredibly light for it's size and has power to spare. I'm so impressed with how his turned out that I'm doing the exact setup on my new RC Guys SD but I'm adding smoke system. An EI on a G38 will prevent, possibly, adding the weight in the back, but my point is that the plane was built so light it doesn't even matter. Slap an 18 x 8 prop on there and go do some pretty looking loops and rolls just like the real plane. Have fun!

FYI...if you would like some photos of my friends plane...let me know. The really cool thing is...everything is enclosed except the ram injector for the carb. Really looks scale!
Of course we want to see the pics. The latest issue of MA shows how to change the woodruff key on a G38. He says the flywheel is not that hard to pull off, incase you did want to convert to electronic. I like mine with the magneto though. Hit the toggle switch and flip. No batteries to check or charge. Then again, if I'd convert over to A123's like Bob, I'd only have 1 pack for the whole plane.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

I've been wanting a SD for years, I have a Taurus 42cc that should work with a little creativity in the ballance department. Bob, let us know what you think of this plane after you fly it.

John
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Bob and Charley,

The G38 in my friend Bob's Super Decathlon IS a Magneto engine from B&B Specialties.
I knew the G38 would fit. There's a pic of one installed in a SD on the RC Guys website. Mine has a spring starter in the cup mount and is the older version with the steel prop drive and a Bennet muffler. The distance from the back of the mount to the prop drive is 6 3/4", so that's OK. Its all-up weight is 76.5 oz, or ~ 4.8 lbs. Ralph at RC Ignitions says he gets them down to 3.5 lbs with the EI conversion I suppose that's + the battery. OTOH, I could shave off a few oz by losing the spring starter and steel prop drive. Decisions, decisions...

Bob, what's your 50's AUW w/ battery?

CR
Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Bob Pastorello

Wish I knew the answer. I wanted to get this going, so got in a rush and skipped the scale. Sorry.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Wish I knew the answer. I wanted to get this going, so got in a rush and skipped the scale. Sorry.
Well, the SERCE web site says it's 3 lb, 10 oz, so it's about the same as the EI G38. OTOH, the G38 has the muffler in the rear, a plus. I suppose the 50 makes more power and the price is attractive.

Does the 50 fit inside the SD cowl? It looks pretty wide. No dimensions on the web site.

CR
Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
outacontrol41

[/quote]
Of course we want to see the pics. The latest issue of MA shows how to change the woodruff key on a G38. He says the flywheel is not that hard to pull off, incase you did want to convert to electronic. [/quote]

Been there done that. It's not hard to do, but you need a flywheel puller. I redneckishly pulled mine off with a couple of large screw drivers at opposite sides. But, I got the job done. Engine ran like new again. I'm told G38 are easy to shear the woodruff key,,,so be careful of prop strikes![:-]

I'll have some pics later.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Bob Pastorello

Do you mean that a "flywheel puller" is *** NOT *** two screwdrivers?????
Holy crap.... all these years.....
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Charley

Do you mean that a "flywheel puller" is *** NOT *** two screwdrivers?????
Holy crap.... all these years.....
Nope, three is better. Got any pics of the XYZ 50 installation?

CR
Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Bob Pastorello

nothing great, but here's a couple. taken w/ cell phone cam at engine run in. don't know what weird artifact is.

Charley - yes, the engine fits completely within the cowl. except for the tip of the exhaust tube, and couple slight "relief" openings (corner of muffler, plug cap end). Removed the plastic induction venturi boost thingy.... don't believe in them, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65880.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1061018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26304.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1061019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87033.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1061020  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Charley

Charley - yes, the engine fits completely within the cowl. except for the tip of the exhaust tube, and couple slight "relief" openings (corner of muffler, plug cap end). Removed the plastic induction venturi boost thingy.... don't believe in them, anyway.
IOW, it doesn't fit within the cowl. [&o] Too bad. [] Good luck on the maiden.

CR
Old 10-29-2008, 12:23 AM
outacontrol41

nothing great, but here's a couple. taken w/ cell phone cam at engine run in. don't know what weird artifact is.

Bob...the plastic induction venturi boost thingy helps the carb breathe but ony if drawing air from outside the cowl and with an angle to catch to propwash air. It improves performance on gas engines. The plastic ones are crap. The best ones are metal with angled end. All my engines have them. Easy way to add RPM's.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 AM
GotSky

Hello All.. I am in need of a right wing and a door... Any one have one from a wrecked one? My wing departed my truck on the way home from the field and was run over - and my door left the airframe while in flight on the same day mind you. It has not been seen since[&o]
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
outacontrol41

The only way to solve this issue is to Call RC Guys and ask for help. You'll be forever waiting for one of us to wreck a plane and sell you the parts. Give RC Guys a customer support test. Good luck and I hope they can help.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 PM
outacontrol41

Guys....pics of G38 installation coming soon. Neighbor is not answering his phone...must have gone away for a few days. His plane locked up tight.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Charley

Bob...the plastic induction venturi boost thingy helps the carb breathe but ony if drawing air from outside the cowl and with an angle to catch to propwash air. It improves performance on gas engines. The plastic ones are crap. The best ones are metal with angled end. All my engines have them. Easy way to add RPM's.
I have one of the metal stacks. Got it from B&B Specialties. I was going to use it on the G26 in my H9 100" Super Cub but I couldn't figure a way to get the cowl on over it. So I cut a hole in the cowl over the top of the carb and elongated it so as to gain access to the screws on top of it, thinking I'd put the stack on after the cowl was installed. But it looks like those screws go all the way through the carb to the mounting flange and I'm afraid of losing the seal integrity between the carb and spacer block. I flew the model without the stack and the engine ran flawlessly, was plenty of power, so I haven't used the stack. It will fit my G38 so I'm going to be faced with this again.

So how do you handle this in a cowled installation?

CR
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
outacontrol41

G38 in RC Guys Super Decathlon. Sorry guys...couldn't talk neighbor into taking cowl off for engine mounting pics. But as you can clearly see....it's a nice fit.

Name:	Ki18260.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1062791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61459.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1062792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49241.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1062793  
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
outacontrol41

[sm=47_47.gif]

Name:	Tr50794.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1062795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65950.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1062796  
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
cmoulder

IMHO, this engine might have problems with overheating.

Big air inlets with very small outlet means that air is going to pool inside and greatly reduce the hot air expelled.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
sdossett

Hey Bob

Yah.. as I look at the pics I can see your point here.

I'm still working on getting enough air to my Saito 180 inverted.

Ground back a little more of the lower cowl the other day, added some fiberglass duct to the "nostrils" to deflect flow down (w/o restricting too much) to the cylinder.

Think I may be about done. I hated to remove material past that nice double bend "scoop" near the rear, but I bit the bullet and put a nice "smiley face" on it. Pretty much took out the center of the lower cowl about 2" forward and 6" wide. When she passes it looks like she's smiling.

Also dremeled out a ~1.25" hole right under the prop hole where that little divot is... on the 180-invert that's right in line with the front of the cylinder.

Scott
Old 10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

I mounted my Saito 1.80 sideways and haven't had one second of problems with it. Just the tips of the valve covers sitck out a little. I used the stock muffler with a sillicone extension tube.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 AM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

I mounted my Saito 1.80 sideways and haven't had one second of problems with it. Just the tips of the valve covers sitck out a little. I used the stock muffler with a sillicone extension tube.

Name:	Lj22791.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1062818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25145.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1062819  
Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: mschneider2005

What matters is the ratio of inlet to outlet.

1:2 or 1:3 ensures good airflow through the cowl. Adding baffling to direct air over the cylinder fins and then straight out (to further reduce pooling) is even better.

If yours isn't overheating it is because you've got good airflow. I can't see the outlet in the photo, but the inlets on your cowl look a lot more restricted than those of the G38, which is good.

The reason I said the G38 MIGHT overheat is because it's hard to say what is actually going on inside the cowl during flight. It might be that some of the airflow sets up some kind of "blocking" pressure areas that permit a good airflow over the cylinder head, in defiance of conventional wisdom. But if the engine DOES overheat, the first suspect would have to be the inlet/outlet ratio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.